D* now downrezzes all 1080i channels to 1280

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So the picture is basically now 10.6x9 so much for widescreen...

This is something that really irks me. You spend all this money to receive and HD signal and by the time you get it they compress the hell out of it...I can only hope this trend reverses once the new birds are in the air. However, with D* past history with SD bandwidth I doubt they care much...

is this also true for the HDNet channels? i had read once before that mark cuban has a signed deal in place that his channels run at full stregth at all times. is this no longer true, or was it never true?

Man, this is bad news.... I for one think it's wrong to sell someone a service and then cut the quality of that service and still expect the same $$$ for it. I swear, if my local cable co. gets off their butts and gets all of the big 4 in HD, I just may be out of here. I've stuck up for D* through a lot but this is getting re-freakin-diculous!

These guys are some real pieces of work.No 6.2 for the HR10-250 (our version should have been first) and now no friggin HD left. I just e-mailed them yesterday about this. Perhaps I'll pick-up the phone on this ... it is ridiculous! I sure hope they plan on a major decompression with SpaceWay and MPEG4.

jdspencer said:
I wouldn't say that this is permanent situation.

Sorry to say but we all said the same right after Sunday Ticket started and Showtime and HDnet movies suffered from downresizing. There was a huge thread about it here. I would post the link once I found it.

This is not bad only for D* subs but for all current HD subs (whether you have E*, V*, or Cable [except BUD subs]). This is a trend that if it followed and it is profitable for D*, other providers may follow. Downrezise channels and get more HD lite channels and charge the same amount. We saw this trend with the SD channels and now we are seeing just the beginning of it with D*. It would not surprised me if E* did the same. Look at this quote from Dish:

DISH Fights Talk of HD Must Carry

EchoStar urged the Federal Communications Commission to not require satellite TV services to carry the high-def signal of local broadcast stations in high def format.

Instead, EchoStar said satellite carriers should only be required to carry HD broadcast signals in a down-converted format. Also, the company said requiring HD must-carry would likely be unconstitutional.

In a letter explaining its position, EchoStar said, "Congress has signaled that the commission should interpret the satellite carriage requirements flexibly in the circumstances presented by satellite bandwidth constraints, and should therefore allow satellite carriers to use 'reasonable compression, reformatting, or similar technologies.'"

The letter detailed meetings EchoStar representatives had with members of the FCC's the Media Bureau last week.

Are the HD channels provided by cable now "better" quality from HD signals being sent to us from satellite? If my cable company would ever come down on their prices I would seriously consider switching to digital cable. The compression issues on the SD channels have, in my opinion, gotten ridiculous.

I know I slam D* a lot but with Vooms troubles I had contemplated going with D* again since i still have the equipment and could get the hd reciever upgrade to mpeg4 in the future. But this bites. they downrezzed SHOHD and hdnetmovies when ST started and many thought things would go back to normal when it ended. But it seems they used more bandwidth for more HD DNS feeds (foxhd, abchd). Do you really trust them to increase quality with this HDLIL crusade approaching?????????

charper1 said:
is this also true for the HDNet channels? i had read once before that mark cuban has a signed deal in place that his channels run at full stregth at all times. is this no longer true, or was it never true?

I heard the hypocrite say it on HDnet once. That he refused to sign a deal with a provider that included possible downrezzing. I guess it depends on whether or not that provider is responsible for most of his distribution? Hed lose a whole lot of viewers without D*. He's turned into Ruperts puppet IMO.

I have a question. Can I send an email to D* and give a link to this thread? To not only voice my concern but to show that I'm not the only one that has become concerned with their "plans"? Also, does someone have an email address of someone at D* that may just read it? Thanks.

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts