D* now downrezzes all 1080i channels to 1280

Status
Please reply by conversation.
rkr0923 said:
No I don't need glasses.......maybe YOU need a Better TV, Receiver, dish, cables or something...I could count the freckles on her tight li'l bod.....so I guess you're right, The service is all fuzzy and unwatchable..........NOT!
The only people who seem to be whining about this are folks with either highly-dated equipment or competitor-product-users who like to bash D*TV.

You are right on - there isn't a real problem on this. The thread was started by a known vocal Voomer who's now probably crying in his beer that they're going bye-bye very soon. Two words - sour grapes.

You know crap like the shopping stations and all the Directv info stations to start with. All you have to do is flip thru the stations to see how much wasted bandwidth they have.
Couldn't agree more. There is so much wasted bandwidth it's ridiculous. WTF is up with having HBOH and SHOH on two different channels each? If they got rid of half the religious claptrap and the CrapMax shopping channels and the channels devoted to flogging their own services, there'd be plenty of bandwidth to go around.

I could count the freckles on her tight li'l bod
Your TV isn't that good because she was actually a guy. :D

Bunnyman said:
. WTF is up with having HBOH and SHOH on two different channels each?

way to prove people are just making things up, and I am not trying to get into the name calling 4th grade level this thread has taken (in fact it should be deleted all together). HBOH and SHOH are mirrored, there is not a waste of bandwidth here, it is the same amount, again just mirrored, now again this thread has take a turn for the worse. This forum is not about name calling and insulting, we are not 4th graders, enjoy the rest of the night fellas, and good luck with your campaign, I hope it does improve picture quality, and I can say in 4 months or so, we shall see new HD channels, and a whole lot of more exciting content, until then chill, enjoy the pro bowl, and enjoy satguys! :D

I thought I would give a heads up to my dilema with the downrezzing. I emailed Michael Powell at the FCC about this situation and have yet to hear back from him. I really doubt he will respond back to me. But, I also sent CNET and email about this situation and they sent me back an email. The email basically said thanks for the tip and that they are looking into doing a story about the downsampling issue.

"I emailed Michael Powell at the FCC about this situation and have yet to hear back from him."

He's busy looking for a new job. Thankfully.

Well the guys saying there is nothing wrong are either partially blind or are used to poor quality pic in the first place so they didn't notice a difference. I knew nothing of the HD channel compression. I do visit these forums but never for the HD stuff.

See, I never really watch it that much at home. Sometimes the occasional sports event or something on Discovery. My roommate and I have it because we have a HD TV. When we first got the service it looked absolutely amazing. HDNet stuff was crystal clear and DiscoveryHD looked stunning. We watched Discovery for a few days in a row and just couldn't believe how nice it looked.

Then one day (and I laugh at this now reading this thread) I watched a program and thought our dog had chewed some cabling because the pic on Discovery HD was horrid. So I checked sat strength, cables, replaced some things and got the same picture.

I chalked it up to something wrong but the picture wasn't so bad I couldn't watch. I first noticed this in what, late September, early October and asked my roommate about it and he said something must have happend to the feed or something because he noticed it too about a week before I mentioned it.
(yes we work opposite hours and rarely see each other to discuss something like this).

A month ago we had almost called in and cancelled it because the games on espn HD look like absolute crap compared to what they used to and there's so much 'fuzz' on Discovery now, its like watching a normal channel (to me).

I used to look at these channels and go WOW. now I go ehhhhh.

I have some contacts at DTV. Lets see if I can put them to good use and get any kind of answers. I'll let you guys know.

yeah that's it..........LCD TV's have REAL LOW quality pictures
I still stand by my post.........looks great to me. when you can count the nose hair on Samuel L Jackson's nose when Roy Firestone interviewed him, the picture can't be too fuzzy now can it. not sure but think Cubin would allow this in his channels. yes, I've seen "junk" pitcures like Charlie's Angels and Hogans Heros, stuff that was not filmed in HD or even digital, just 30 year old upgrades....what do you expect

Your wrong about Hogans Heros. They shot that on Film just as if it were a movie so that is why they can put it in HD.

I finally started to get po'd about this situation (most likely because my free HD promotion package is about to run out :) ) and decided to write D*.

I received the same canned response about them trying to balance PQ with programming channels that interest everyone, etc... Basically, they admitted to downsampling the HD content.

So I said to them that I understood their predicament, and asked that they discount my HD package by 50%, as they are lowering their HD PQ by 50%. Fair is fair... Well, they didn't want to do that. I informed them that I was going to cancel my HD package when the free promo ran out and asked them to pass my comments along to management.

I'm hoping that with MPEG4 that they get the HD stuff back up to snuff, as there is a very large difference between my OTA HD, and D* HD. Even Time Warner cable HD here looks better than D*'s...

I'm really happy with my D* experience overall, but I just can't bring myself to pay for HD that isn't up to snuff with everyone else's HD. If they get it together, I'll re-add the HD pack.

My suggestion to everyone who is upset with this situation is to write to D* and tell them about it. If enough people drop the HD package, maybe they will fix the problem...

Guys I hate to be the voice of reason here but bottom line is, it's not worth it to D* to improve the PQ for the very small percentage of their customer with HD that have a big enough screen to even see a difference.
And why in the world would they improve HD for what 15% of their customers before their SD channels.
It's to the point now where on a 52 inch or bigger it's hard to tell whether your watching cable or satellite. All 3 major providers have terrible SD.

For real HD all you can do is wait for HD DVD's and watch local HD OTA if you get it. :(

I have a question re: the reduced res....

Is E* doing the same thing? Is there
a differance in quality between D* HD
and E* HD?

no, yes E*'s quality is noticable better than D*'s or anyone else for the matter

** disclaimer this is what other have said I've never seen D* HD ;)

dnyce said:
Guys I hate to be the voice of reason here but bottom line is, it's not worth it to D* to improve the PQ for the very small percentage of their customer with HD that have a big enough screen to even see a difference.
And why in the world would they improve HD for what 15% of their customers before their SD channels.(
I guess the $$$ Billions that they're spending for multiple new satellites that are designed primarily for HD broadcasts are just a whim, huh???? Two go up in the next 60 days or so, and their bandwidth for HD will grow exponential. Based on your observations, it would seem that none of the 550,000 + D*TV HD customers will be watching.... :eek:

pradike said:
I guess the $$$ Billions that they're spending for multiple new satellites that are designed primarily for HD broadcasts are just a whim, huh???? Two go up in the next 60 days or so, and their bandwidth for HD will grow exponential. Based on your observations, it would seem that none of the 550,000 + D*TV HD customers will be watching.... :eek:
And it will stay crammed full of HDLIL.

rad said:
Well for the folks that can't get OTA HD and
don't want cable then they will be very happy.

I live within a cable area where there is no HD on the
horizon.....OTA....not here....no HD...no digital...no analog.
Needless to say....the options are VERY limited.

I guess I will wait and see if there is a difference in
the D* HD picture quality on my 55" LCD.

Either way, I would guess it would have to be
better than the SD picture quality....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)