D* now downrezzes all 1080i channels to 1280

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
they downrezzed SHOHD and hdnetmovies when ST started and many thought things would go back to normal when it ended. But it seems they used more bandwidth for more HD DNS feeds (foxhd, abchd). Do you really trust them to increase quality with this HDLIL crusade approaching?????????

Well, considering that by the time 2007 comes when all SpaceWay-1, SpaceWay-2, DirecTV-10 and DirecTV-11 are all up, they will have room for more HD channels than there are HD channels, and probably then too, not to mention room for 150 national HD channels, and I doubt even by 2007 with West coast feeds of the movie channels, that we'll see 150 HD channels, so I suspect that we'll see a lot better PQ once DirecTV starts broadcasting the national channels in MPEG-4... until then, I doubt it.

~Alan

Contact your senator

I hate to do it, but make it a campaign issue. Make your senator understand that this high-tech bait and switch is unacceptable. DirecTV is selling us a product and reducing its quality after the fact. Furthermore, they are actively promoting a $1000 product (HD DirecTivo) that is known to be on its last legs and scheduled to be obsolete.

beast37799 said:
i doubt the hd tivio is on its last legs the fact is we dont know all the details yet so if u have one wait and see if u dont have one dont get one

sorta---
fact: hdtivo cannot do mpeg4-directv IS switching to mpeg4
unknown:what is the replacement plan, I think its plain in due time we will all have to switch to mpeg4 boxes, just when is unkown, so truthfully in that sense every box is on its last leg.

bytheway, if you havent seen napoleon dynamite yet, that is a great flick!

agregjones said:
I hate to do it, but make it a campaign issue. Make your senator understand that this high-tech bait and switch is unacceptable. DirecTV is selling us a product and reducing its quality after the fact.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling... :rolleyes:

Alan Gordon said:
Well, considering that by the time 2007 comes when all SpaceWay-1, SpaceWay-2, DirecTV-10 and DirecTV-11 are all up, they will have room for more HD channels than there are HD channels, and probably then too, not to mention room for 150 national HD channels, and I doubt even by 2007 with West coast feeds of the movie channels, that we'll see 150 HD channels, so I suspect that we'll see a lot better PQ once DirecTV starts broadcasting the national channels in MPEG-4.

~Alan
Bingo. :D

pradike said:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling... :rolleyes:

No, it's the value that is falling. I'm not an alarmist, as could be seen in any of the posts I have made here. This isn't trivial and shouldn't be treated as such. If we don't complain about the loss of the PQ, we are as much to blame as D*. I am against overregulation, but there are very few national alternatives.

I still don't get why not setup a poll on the D* website and vote for the channels we want which would remove about 50% of them for me and then the bandwidth would already be there.

This marketing more channels reminds me of the movie theater where more screens are better (quantity over quality). ugh

Your taste is not the same as the rest of the D* viewers.
If such poll was setup, you could lose a channel that you watch. Then you'd be crying foul. Typically the idea to drop channels is all well and good till its one of the channels you watch.

I believe they still have "a la carte" service for C-Band, so I guess you could switch.

Well maybe so but like any voting I would be willing to give up a couple of channels to gain back quality.

For example I really enjoy sports a lot and have the sports package that gets all the rsn fox channels. However if they started spot beaming those and I could only in market I would be okay with that knowing that I had full bandwidth on other channels. Beside the fact that it seems 80% of the programming is duplicate anyway.

Just wondering if anyone got any answers from D* , stating if the situation is temporary or permenant. We all pay for HD service and we should get what we pay for, premium HD service. I'm not paying for a watered down version.

I called yesterday and complained and CSR didn't know what I was talking about. I explained to her what I had read and she said, "but it is still being delivered in HD and it is better quality than SD." I told her that when I signed a one year contract I was signing to get hiqh quality HD and not better than SD quality HD. She chuckled and said sorry. I told her to put this complaint on my file and told her I thought the schemed was kinda like a bait and switch situation.

It's really not worth the money anymore to get all the HD equipment if Directv and other providers provide us with HD Lite. Thats why no matter what ...Im never taking down my OTA Ant. I dont care what local ch's Directv provides ....I'll never watch the HD Feed that Directv provides over OTA.

For only $1.00 you can have VOOM installed and see great HD! (receive a free OTA antenna too that may or may not work in your location but does here in Indianapolis)Sure they may not or may not be around six months from now but you will fall in love with their picture quality! An yes I also have DirecTV HD and I agree OTA & VOOM is the only true HD avaiable @ present

Your beloved Voom isn't passing thru full 1080 resolution either. Seems I read somewhere they had their channels at 1440.

i love all this my hd is better then yours talk voom e* d* cable all compress to some point . also im willing to bet that some ota channels compress there hd so they can multicast. the main problem is that the horizontal line are set either 480,720, 1080 but the vertical lines are not enforced and lets face the majority of future hd users and some current don't know the vertical resolutions . so all providers fudge the resolutions . I am also wondering if hbo cinemax starz and tmc hd are true hd off the c-band sats

beast37799 said:
my hd is better then yours
whatever, your hd has nothing on mine :D
on the downrezzin issue, I am going to chill till the new birds are in the sky, my picture looks nice, a bit soft yes, but people keep complaining about more and more hd channels, they add it the way they know how, and we complain its too soft hd...huh go figure people not happy :eek: now if the new birds are up and its the same complain away, until then sit back and enjoy the super bowl tommorow! :)

Im a VOOM sub as well as a Directv sub and VOOM does look better when it comes to HD. OTA might squeeze a bit to get a sub ch in here and there...but ch's like CBS OTA look just the best to my eyes. I really enjoy it....and to think OTA is free...if you can get it. It took me some pain and suffering but I have my UHF ANT up on my roof 10ft mast and all. It was worth it. I wouldnt want to go through putting it up again...but its so worth it for the best HD around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts