D* pq at BB --any thoughts ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

putterboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Greetings, Short time member, long time reader--just wondering.
Not trying to start another D* vs. E* thread, more than enough of
those goin' on.
Iwas in local BB for some camera stuff, and being the fool that I am,
wandered over to the tv area. I noticed D* HD on several tv's of various
sizes, brands and types (plasma, lcd, crt, etc) Tv's were on different
channnels, like espn, espn2, HBO. To my surprise, they all looked
damn good ! Have read so much about how bad it's supposed to be.
I know these stores crank up the brightness and such to catch your
eye, and sell certain tv's as opposed to others, but the sat signal is
the same to everyone. Is there actually a way for them to improve
PQ ? Wouldn't think so, but thought I would ask. I know BB is a D*
retailer, no E* to compare to, a shame. About to dump Comcast due
$$$, their Hd in my area is o.k. at best. I have had both sat providers
in the past, but not for HD. Open to all opinions, feel free to beat me
up !!

First, WELCOME!

No one should beat you up because you are the EXACT situation some of us have been trying to sight. NONE of us are pro "HD Lite" but all one can do at the moment (until all the new satellites are running) is to see services with their own eyes, compare to what is available in their particular viewing area, and make the selection best for THEM and them alone.

Sure I too want more, more bandwidth, more bitrate, more resolution, and more channels; but I also understand these are businesses and things change back & forth to accommodate the masses while providing the best product at the most efficient costs all while pleasing the stock holders.

Bottom line, if your eyes like what they see for the cost, then you have done the best you can do. I immensely enjoy my 119" FPTV for under $2200 which is HUGELY cheaper than those "must have" 50"ish flat screens for 2x or more. I made the best selection for me. I balanced the best bang, for the buck; why pay $5,000 or more for far less TV?

I, like most others, enjoy my DirecTV services and see what you saw. I tend to enjoy it rather than having to spend 2+ hours a day here whining about what may or may not be wrong with it. I simply choose to contact them directly, once per quarter to express my comments; good & bad.

I hope you enjoy whatever service and TV you get.

Last edited:
I could care less D. The truth is what it is; on BOTH sides. The bottom line is that it is JUST TV and whining back and forth here is like toddlers in kindergarten fighting over the best crayon. I enjoy my TV and my service. I know it will, and is getting better all the time, and no one service is head and shoulders above another so its not worth wasting time on.

Charper!! I too enjoy my Panny with 106" inch screen!! I have to tell ya, woulnd't trade it in for any of the plasmas etc...back to the point...Putterboy, if you want the NFL Season Ticket, done deal, has to be D* if not....read, read, read make a decision and dont look back.

OH...back to the point...I don't know the technical end on how they are splitting the signal to all those TV's at BB. At ours they just have this loop deal going on and it doesn't look that great. Went over to HH Greg here in CBUS to dee the pic on their TV's using E*. After reading all that Vurbano states I thought it was going to blow me away and it was marginal at best. They had it so you could see any channel etc...but once again I don't know how or if the signal was degraded by splitting it . Anyway it made me feel a whole lot better about my D*

FJ, you are correct; I sure forgot to say if one want teh NFL Sunday Ticket then DirecTV is the only way to go right now; sorry.

How long have you had your FPTV and what brand & model screen?

Thanks for the replys.. My set is a puny Mits 55in. Have had Comcast for about a year plus, gave me all kinds of promo offers, which have now all expired. New price is just too much. As stated, I have had both D* AND E* in the past, but not with this tv. Not real crazy about the business practices of either lately, but gonna' go with one of them.
Carper, Your so right-It's just TV !
Dragon, Congrats to your Steelers, and that's comin' from Pat's country !!

Putter,

Is that Mits 55" a 4:3 or a 16:9? Is it HD ready? I also have a UltraVision 65" HD RPTV in the master bedroom and 3 other rooms have regular 27"/32" 4:3 models; so I have some experiences with those also.

Panasonic AE700U It's my first one and I really love it. 106" I think it is called a Day Lite? screen?? Had it for a year now. I'm into the sports thing with my 3 kids so nothing like NFL and those baseball games in HD especially the ones we got last year from the YES network, those were fantastic!! I really don't know why more people don't have the HD projectors if they have the room. Way more BANG for the buck!

Composite signals, component video with baseband audio, or component video with digital audio
HDTV Distribution
No signal loss
Unity gain
Daisy chain several units for larger HDTV displays
Heavy duty metal housing provides excellent shielding
Allows up to 150 ft. runs
Download Spec Sheet

this is what high end retailers use, and the morgantown wv BB uses this also .

it is the C E LABS A/V distribution amp AV901COMP

Not sure what all that means but i do see "No signal loss" in there. If that is the case I feel real good about our D* pic then because the E*pic I saw on 50 different sets (and I checked multiple channels) is only better in Mr. Vurbano's mind. Just a lil funny there V. But seriously I checked it out because of his posts and was wondering what I was missing. Nada

For what it''s worth-
Mits 55in ws- hd ready
moto dct 3412 dvr-via component, looks better than dvi
moto voom box for ota- via component
Toshiba 4900 dvd player - via component
Onkyo 502 6 channel receiver
Definitive tech. surround set-up w/ 2006tl's for fronts
Combination Channel Master/ Winegard uhf/vhf antanna w/ channel master signal booster

FlyingJ said:
Day Lite?

Yep, DaLite. I also use a DaLite - 119" High Contrast Matte White DLX ModB.

I really don't know why more people don't have the HD projectors.....Way more BANG for the buck!

Because they are peer/brow beat into thinking that the "flat screens" (FPTVs are much flatter) are the must have and/or the only thing that is out there.

They are also beat-up into thinking that the room must be cave-like pitch black; another myth.

My unit takes up less than 1 cubic foot of unused ceiling space. Do the signature lines still show to everyone? I do know I lost all of my "Member Equipment" photos and description when they moved to this new board.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Yep, DaLite. I also use a DaLite - 119" High Contrast Matte White DLX ModB.

Because they are peer/brow beat into thinking that the "flat screens" (FPTVs are much flatter) are the must have and/or the only thing that is out there.

They are also beat-up into thinking that the room must be cave-like pitch black; another myth.

My unit takes up less than 1 cubic foot of unused ceiling space. Do the signature lines still show to everyone? I do know I lost all of my "Member Equipment" photos and description when they moved to this new board.

A lot of us have a light issue, a freind of mine would like a projector unit, but he has a 25 ft room and all of it has windows or doors the entire wall.
No way would he be able to control the light,perticularly during the day.

If I had a large enough room, I would consider it

Jimbo

My room is easily that size or larger with 4 windows on one side that are each 5'x3', a 7'x8' french door on the other and directly in the rear is an open archway into the kitchen with another standard window; and I have no lighting or display issues, mid-day during NFL season (or any other times). Light can become an issue only if you choose an incorrect projector and screen for that room/lighting situation. Light is also VERY easy to control as well. I think it is somewhat funny that without even having one that you are already 100% sure that the correct projector wouldn't work. Its all prejudged/conceived ideas, really. I know I could get it to work and it would blow you away.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Well, not exactly. At the present time my future HT room is serving as a playroom for my daughter. In a couple of years when she is older, it will become a true HT with a FPTV.

As for the plasma, it is really the only thing that would fit in the space originally designed for a 30"ish 4:3. And some modifications were required to get it to fit at 4.5". So that is why the plasma.

I also have the 57" of your RPTV in my den and a 46" DLP in the MBR.

I do look forward to the day I can get an FPTV. I just need to convince my daughter that an in-home theater is cooler than her playroom. :D

Yep, take her somewhere where she can see HER favorite movies on one correctly installed. BING, that sold my wife. The great thing about FPTV is that you can adjust in DOWN to a smaller size like a tiny 60", but when you get a bigger space you can go all the way up to a huge 200" - 250" depending on the projector; without having to buy anything else; the sizes are adjustable!

Last edited:
BB is using a headend processing rack supplied by Pace electronics with three 1 meter dishes to feed the signal into the recievers, the output is pumped up to 15dBm on a homerun cable, no loopbacks. That is why it is as clear as it can be, oh and add in the in store DVD simulcast of the D8 channels and wala MAGIC PICTURE.

the bb in morgantown has a phase3 dish on the roof. and it is the only dish up there other than a HNS unit for sales/inventory purposes. and you can see the whole roof from the parking lot of giant eagle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts