D* puts HD on back burner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If that's the case, it doesn't look like E* will be improving their DishHD service anytime soon. With less than 150K subscribers, FiOS and their spankingly good PQ isn't much of a concern for another couple years.

I think you are reading way too much into what was really said and jumping to ill-founded conclusions; creating a subject/title that is not even found in the PC Mag discussion itself.

If anything from the reading the likely scenario would be that all the planned launches and HD additions are are going on as scheduled BUT once Malone takes control, he will push to remove broadband from the DirecTV's back-burner; NOT swapping the two priority wise.

That is just negative, doom-and-gloom, over-thinking. Too much expenditure, development, etc has already gone into works to back off of HD in ANY way at all.

Well, if you think it's just me, here is what PC Mag had to say about the article:

DirecTV Sold, Malone to Focus on Broadband
Count me as a happy DirecTV subscriber, although I'm concerned about how the satellite net will transform to HDTV while keeping my TiVo intact. But now that Liberty Media is poised to assume control from Rupert Murdoch, HD might drop onto the back burner yet again. That's because high-speed networking, not better video quality, seems to be tops on Malone's list. For details on the sale, and how Malone might end up offering broadband via DirecTV

As you can see I didn't make it up and I'm not the only one that seems to think we may be headed out into HD oblivion yet again. As you noticed, I put a question mark on the end of the title, not a period. Will it happen? I don't know, but we sure as heck don't have any promise out of D* that it won't!!!

Considering the business model the D* has used to this point, I would say that they aren't really too serious about any one thing at all.

Well, if you think it's just me, here is what PC Mag had to say about the article:

DirecTV Sold, Malone to Focus on Broadband
Count me as a happy DirecTV subscriber, although I'm concerned about how the satellite net will transform to HDTV while keeping my TiVo intact. But now that Liberty Media is poised to assume control from Rupert Murdoch, HD might drop onto the back burner yet again. That's because high-speed networking, not better video quality, seems to be tops on Malone's list. For details on the sale, and how Malone might end up offering broadband via DirecTV

As you can see I didn't make it up and I'm not the only one that seems to think we may be headed out into HD oblivion yet again. As you noticed, I put a question mark on the end of the title, not a period. Will it happen? I don't know, but we sure as heck don't have any promise out of D* that it won't!!!

Considering the business model the D* has used to this point, I would say that they aren't really too serious about any one thing at all.

Let's see DirecTV is not committed?.I guess I read the wrong article that stated that DirecTV will launch satellites 10&11 in 2007.Both satellites will give DirecTV the bandwith capacity for 150 HD national channels & 1500 HD locals.:)

I wonder how they will attempt to pull off the High Speed Internet, without joining in with other companies... They tried via sat. and it did not work reliably, and D* basically scrapped it.

Most of you saw the post about AT&T possibly buying D* after the Bellsouth issue is finallized.

D* currently works with Verizon in partnership, maybe they will try to tap into Verizon more.

Would AT&T come in a buy D* from Malone ?

Jimbo

Let's see DirecTV is not committed?.I guess I read the wrong article that stated that DirecTV will launch satellites 10&11 in 2007.Both satellites will give DirecTV the bandwith capacity for 150 HD national channels & 1500 HD locals.:)
And OTHER services. they have always tacked that escape clause on every statement they issue in regards to capacity. Those new satellites could get you all of those 1500 +150 channels or none of them . The keyword is capacity, not necessarily channels.

People on dbstalk and this forum are overwhelmingly asking for more hd, not broadband. If they ignore our wishes I predict massive churn.

The article states nothing about D* HD plans, just that he has a priority of broadband. Not sure what method of broadband he is talking about, but stationary broadband via a satellite dish is not very practical. There are to many portable devices that use the internet to make a stationary dish broadband practical. If they want to jump into the broadband business, it should be using something that can be used in all applications, stationary, laptops in travel, Blackberry's and any other portable device.

Sure....they've already paid a couple of billion $$$ for the 2 new HD sats going up in 4 months and 9 months from now, not to mention the infrastructure equipment costs, and they're going to walk away from all that new HD capacity? No way.

Malone is just like Murdoch, in that he wants to be king of his empire. With billions already paid and invested, only a stupid investor would change course and lose that huge investment - and Malone is not a stupid investor.

People on dbstalk and this forum are overwhelmingly asking for more hd, not broadband. If they ignore our wishes I predict massive churn.
I dont know how it could be massive since HD subs are miniscule. That fact are that they would probably make a lot more money offering a good broadband service and that is what Malone is looking at.

Sure....they've already paid a couple of billion $$$ for the 2 new HD sats going up in 4 months and 9 months from now, not to mention the infrastructure equipment costs, and they're going to walk away from all that new HD capacity? No way.

Plus all of the current HD subscribers, like myself that are holding them to their word of more HD programing in 2007. They will loose a lot of us if this doesn't come true. Plus with all of the new HDTVs being sold, people are going to go where they can get the most HD programing for their buck. I am sure with the current situation, they have lost a lot of potential subscribers to E*, because they currently offer more HD programing than D* does.

Yep that is exactly what I almost did when i got the tv..called Dtv to tell em I gonna switch and they offered me the hd free and more or less promised to have more channel before long so I stayed.

I dont know how it could be massive since HD subs are miniscule. That fact are that they would probably make a lot more money offering a good broadband service and that is what Malone is looking at.
Broadband prices are dropping and margins are narrow.

Plus, the money's already has been spent making the new HD sats, as well as the new broadcast transmission center....that would make no sense at all - financially or business wise.

I would probably keep D* even if HD did not increase due to Sunday Ticket, but I would drop some of my receivers, and go from Total Choice Premier to a small package.

I would add E* for its HD content.

Not only does D* need to consider its current HD customers, but also potential future ones.

Broadband prices are dropping and margins are narrow.

Plus, the money's already has been spent making the new HD sats, as well as the new broadcast transmission center....that would make no sense at all - financially or business wise.

It must be nice living where you are. Comcast and Embarq both just RAISED their broadband prices here. I'm about ready to go back to dial up!!!!:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)