D* Tivo has just "ok" image on new plasma

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Hey all, just curious if this is just me or what.
I just a new Samsung 4272 plasma HDTV. I don't have HD yet. (Waiting for mpeg4 to hit Columbus, OH). I have D* Tivo connected to the display via s-video. The image isok except for the scenes get dark. Then the facial colors start to get splotchy when they get into the shadows. It's like watching a movie on a PC monitor a few years ago when they were still working on the VESA video standard and you watched small cut scenes in a video game.
DVD's are out of this world. No shadowsing at all.
Am I just being over sensitive? My wife notices what I am seeing as well. I moved up from a 53" Sony 4:3 RPTV. I never noticed the shadowing problems on that TV and it was a larger display. But at the same time, I realize that the Sony was a CRT based set and this is a plasma. Is that the difference?

Welcome to the world of watching 480i on a set designed for 1080i and 720p.

Your best results would be to calibrate your set, either using AVIA or a professional ISF calibrator.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/Video-calibration.html

That having been said, it will still generally blow chunks on SD video.

This problem is not unique to D*, although many claim that the bitrate of the SD channels on D* makes it appear worse. It's pretty subjective.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=491890

I'll note that when I got an HR10-250, and now I watch even SD through 1080i, things look much better than they did on my set.
(e.g. same SD programming on an R10 thru Svideo, and then an HR10-250 through component.)

H

Last edited:
Try sending the signal to the plasma with the component cables. I get a better picture on the SD signals than I previously did using the standard HD receiver.

Jeff T said:
Try sending the signal to the plasma with the component cables. I get a better picture on the SD signals than I previously did using the standard HD receiver.

Alas, his SD TiVo has S-video out as it's best connection.

Yea, s-video is the best I have. I wonder if there is any chance in the world that the composite video would be better? I may try it this weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)