D*TV HD quality in Woodbury, CT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bcollis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
CT
Anybody have any comments about HD quality from D*TV around Woodbury, CT? Looking to "upgrade" to HD package, but concerned about quality of HD feeds based on info from this forum; ie "HD Lite". Any HDTV make/model recommendations that make the most w/ D*TV HD?

Thamks.

Any HDTV recommendations for D*TV if PQ is same through US?

Thanks again.

hi there, i have dtv hd and love it. i'm located in wallingford, ct. the pq is awesome, and i get all my ota locals via an attic mounted antenna from radioshack. make sure if your going to get an hd standard receiver, you specify the h20(for mpeg4 signal reception) the only dvr for hd is the tivo model, which will not be able to get the mpeg 4 signal. hartford, new haven will be getting local channels through the dish around 4/6/06 you'll also need the new 5 lnb dish installed in order to receive these channels. good luck.

btw, the new dtv hd dvr, is supposed to be available sometime in may so it is said. this dvr will get the mpeg 4 signal.

If DirecTv HD is awesome Im not quite sure how to describe how much better cable or DISH would be..

Super awesome? Crazy awesome? Out of this world awesome?

Bottom line, if you have a cable option you should definately research it..If you dont have a cable option go with DISH...

Directv is not where its at for HD at all, IMO...DISH and my crappy Charter Cable both blow D* out of the water on HD PQ...

People that claim Directv HD is awesome have probably never seen any other providers of HD to compare it to, or they have really small and/or cheap HDTV's..

I would highly reccomend researching D* HD quality here and over at AVS Forums before deciding to go with them..

Go for it

I just bought a Sondy Grand Wega KDF-E50A10 50" LCD projection for the bowl games and D* looks pretty darn good on it. They gave me a HR10-250 for $212 with an off-air antenna for local channels, which admittedly look quite a bit better than they do on D*, but the D* HD package is reasonable (especially since we'll be picking up TNT-HD next Friday.)

There's a lot of folks complaining about the picture quality from D* being only 1280x1080i, but I wouldn't sweat it unless you spent $5,000 on a 70" TV that does 1920x1080p. Most HD shows aren't shot anywhere near that resolution anyway, so you're not missing much.

I'd say compare the pricing with your local cable provider and go with the cheapest solution that meets your needs. Here in Memphis our cable customer service is the pits, and I've found D*'s to be pretty good, but your cable company might be better. Plus they usually don't charge up front for a DVR box, which D* does. DVR is a *must have* (even more important than HD IMHO).

Good luck with your decision.

I just recently got the HD package on my HD TiVo. It looks about the same as the local cable (TWC) in my area did when I had it. I am getting an outside antenna installed tomorrow, and I expect the OTA local channels to look at least as good as the HDlite I am getting over the dish. In short, I think D* offers me, personally, the best HD option right now. That will change however with the advent of leasing.

I hated dealing with TWC CS, and paying almost $100/month for what costs me ~$60 with D*. Even adding in the HD package, I am only paying ~$70. Plus, I own my equipment which means I can upgrade the hard drive in my TiVo if I want to have more than 30 hours of HD recordings. I am unhappy that D* is going to a lease-based model next month which is one of the reasons I recently decided to go ahead and buy the HD TiVo. I want to keep my freedom as long as possible. When my current equipment wears out, I may have to switch back to cable and buy a TiVo series 3 so I can watch the way I want to if D* isn't going to support the CableCARD standard.

bcollis said:
Anybody have any comments about HD quality from D*TV around Woodbury, CT? Looking to "upgrade" to HD package, but concerned about quality of HD feeds based on info from this forum; ie "HD Lite". Any HDTV make/model recommendations that make the most w/ D*TV HD?

Thamks.

The quality of the feed will be the same, no matter where you are. As for OTA, it could be a bit dicey as to what you can receive HD wise. I'm in New Milford and can't get any HD OTA, but you may be able to get some tho, where you are.

Directv's HD is very good. It can be better but I don't have a problem with it like some do. I understand that there is a limited amount of space available and I'd rather have a better selection of " very good" HD, thus giving more things to watch in HD, rather than a very limited "fantastic" HD of which may not even gain my viewership(I have had Directv HD, even before they started any type of downressing, so I know what it looked like previous and now. I'm still satisfied).

As for the cable option someone mentioned, you are probably under Charter's coverage(same as me) and while they do have an "ok" amount of HD, they DON'T have all the networks yet(which is mindboggling to me). I believe all they have is NBC, FOX and PBS. So no CBS or ABC. That, right there keeps me far away from Charter(nevermind the fact it took them 4 years to get FX back when they dropped it in 1999, even tho they said it would be back in a "couple months").

guffy1 said:
I would highly reccomend researching D* HD quality here and over at AVS Forums before deciding to go with them..

IMO, some AVSforumers tend to over exaggerate things, especially when it comes to the imfamous "HD-Lite". So just keep that in mind when viewing some of the complaints.

Bottom line is, if you want to be sure of what you are getting and how you will perceive it is to find a place that has Directv HD and view it for yourself. That is the only true way to be sure if it appeals to you or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Cable is not an option for me for a number of customer service reasons.

I have been looking at the Sony Wega KDF 42", with D* HD, but want to make sure it is turely an upgrade from my 27" Sony Wega with SD D*TV. Lot's of money and I want to make sure. OTA is out of the question for me since I live in a valley.

I welcome all comments.

thanks again,

Bill

bcollis said:
Thanks for the feedback. Cable is not an option for me for a number of customer service reasons.

I have been looking at the Sony Wega KDF 42", with D* HD, but want to make sure it is turely an upgrade from my 27" Sony Wega with SD D*TV. Lot's of money and I want to make sure. OTA is out of the question for me since I live in a valley.

I welcome all comments.

thanks again,

Bill

Bill

The locals will be in HD from D* soon, probably by the early part of April.
BTW, I am in Cheshire. We are almost neighbors!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)