D12-700 reactivate with different dish

Kentrx1

Original poster
Oct 23, 2021
Clarksville virginia
About 4 months ago lightening took out my dish. It was older non hd dish. Att would not repair it and due to tree coverage could not find an area with enough opening for a newer system to work. I was told my old dish only required one sat visibility where new ones must lock on to three. The tech took down dish and offered to see if he could find parts and get back with me. Have not heard anything since.
I called and cancelled my subscription on boxes and left in good standing with direct tv. I have exhausted other options with other services as same issue with tree canopy. Cell signal too weak to stream.
My questions are as follow:
Can I find an old dish and install myself and get direct tv to turn back on my old d12-700 box—-they did not request I return it this I still have it. If so, what dish do I need to find? It was mounted on eve of house and all tech left was the pipe mast. 2 cable ends are also there. Can I put dish on and align without box being turned on, then call and have it reactivated?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

About 4 months ago lightening took out my dish. It was older non hd dish. Att would not repair it and due to tree coverage could not find an area with enough opening for a newer system to work. I was told my old dish only required one sat visibility where new ones must lock on to three. The tech took down dish and offered to see if he could find parts and get back with me. Have not heard anything since.
I called and cancelled my subscription on boxes and left in good standing with direct tv. I have exhausted other options with other services as same issue with tree canopy. Cell signal too weak to stream.
My questions are as follow:
Can I find an old dish and install myself and get direct tv to turn back on my old d12-700 box—-they did not request I return it this I still have it. If so, what dish do I need to find? It was mounted on eve of house and all tech left was the pipe mast. 2 cable ends are also there. Can I put dish on and align without box being turned on, then call and have it reactivated?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
You good find a 18" round d*tv dish -with a 2 port lnb--and use the receiver to find the 101 -as that is the only SAT you can use --Then if your able to do that --you will need to call and have the receiver activated as it has been whit out signal for 4 months.

Your easier thing would to be just call 1-800-531-5000 and request a MPG2 upgrade --That would get you a New DISH and A New receiver with out much $$$ out put(REASON) D*TV is doing away with MPG2 receivers is what you have.

You good find a 18" round d*tv dish -with a 2 port lnb--and use the receiver to find the 101 -as that is the only SAT you can use --Then if your able to do that --you will need to call and have the receiver activated as it has been whit out signal for 4 months.

Your easier thing would to be just call 1-800-531-5000 and request a MPG2 upgrade --That would get you a New DISH and A New receiver with out much $$$ out put(REASON) D*TV is doing away with MPG2 receivers is what you have.
I am willing to do that but was told all their new equipment requires ability to connect to 3 satellites—-which I can’t do. Only have clearing for the one satellite I was connecting g to with old dish

I am willing to do that but was told all their new equipment requires ability to connect to 3 satellites—-which I can’t do. Only have clearing for the one satellite I was connecting g to with old dish
Then your are Screwed-for d*tv Service --Can you do OTA or How about Cell Service you could get a Cell modem from a wireless provider and the cast content to your Tv using a smart phone that way --most have unlimited data plans --check what's in your area

Last edited:
I'm assuming it was an installer that told you there wasn't a line of sight to the three satellites. While that's possible, it's unlikely. Have you tried using a satellite finder app? It will give you a good idea of where the sats are in the sky. Can you post a picture taken from where the dish was looking at the 101 satellite?

Then your are Screwed-for d*tv Service --Can you do OTA or How about Cell Service you could get a Cell modem from a wireless provider and the cast content to your Tv using a smart phone that way --most have unlimited data plans --check what's in your area
Cell service very weak too. Only option is to reactivate service requiring only one sat. Thus I would appreciate assistance on how to do that

Cell service very weak too. Only option is to reactivate service requiring only one sat. Thus I would appreciate assistance on how to do that
They won’t do it. On top of many other pieces they don’t activate old equipment or SD only service

Kentrex,
The recvr you mentioned you have is basically useless.
IF you Really want D*, have them come out and survey your property again ...
IF you can get the 101 Sat, sounds like you were able to with the dish that was up there, you should be able to get the other two as they are very close to one another and a reason why they now use those 3 Sats.

I would have them upgrade you as the old equipment your using won't be activated (too old).

Remind them that it was a lightning issue, that may help.

You may or may not end up in a 2 year commitment.

While it is possible it seems very unlikely that a tree could allow you to receive 101 fine but not 99 or 103. The only case I could imagine where that might be true is something like a backyard that's blocked by a building. We're talking only 2 degrees on either side - tree branches move a lot more than that just from the wind so if either 99 or 103 was blocked then you would have experienced issues with your old setup on windy/stormy days.

Try finding a third party satellite installer guy in your area who does Directv installs. They are more likely to have people who have been doing it longer and know what they are doing. The installer that showed up at your place may have just been clueless.

I learned years ago not to call Directv for anything at my business. I found a guy who actually does Dish installs for his business (and pulls up in a truck with a big Dish logo lol) but he did a little Directv stuff even though it wasn't his specialty and he has been way better than the Directv installers because he's got 10+ years of experience so he's seen everything.

While it is possible it seems very unlikely that a tree could allow you to receive 101 fine but not 99 or 103. The only case I could imagine where that might be true is something like a backyard that's blocked by a building. We're talking only 2 degrees on either side - tree branches move a lot more than that just from the wind so if either 99 or 103 was blocked then you would have experienced issues with your old setup on windy/stormy days.

Try finding a third party satellite installer guy in your area who does Directv installs. They are more likely to have people who have been doing it longer and know what they are doing. The installer that showed up at your place may have just been clueless.

I learned years ago not to call Directv for anything at my business. I found a guy who actually does Dish installs for his business (and pulls up in a truck with a big Dish logo lol) but he did a little Directv stuff even though it wasn't his specialty and he has been way better than the Directv installers because he's got 10+ years of experience so he's seen everything.
Thats a really big umbrella your throwing all D* Installers under .... I think it really depends on what area your in ... where I live, most were very good, I use to check All my Internet subs, that had D* and the majority were installed quite accurate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)