Dallas Cowboy Martellus Bennett Getting Backlash for 'Black Olympics' Video

Hugo M Garcia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Sun Valley CA

Dallas Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett has been spending a lot of time on his You Tube channel lately. On MartyBTV, you can find Bennett rapping about cereal, talking about video games or just dancing around his living room. Most of the videos are pretty funny and just shows a lighter side of an NFL player with his family. But one of Bennett's recent videos with his brother called "Black Olympics" has some Black folks crying foul. In the video, Bennett and his brother Michael, who is on the Seattle Seahawks roster, compete against each other in eating chicken, drinking Kool-Aid, and eating watermelon.

"Me and all my brothers were in the kitchen and as I looked around, I noticed we were eating every stereotype. We got chicken, kool aid, watermelon; we might as well do a Black Olympics. That's what happened," Bennett told the Michael Irvin show this week. "I don't really think it's offensive. It depends on your sense of humor and how you look at things. We were just having fun and it was very funny for me and my brothers, when I look at it I just can't stop laughing. If someone takes offense, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. It was just us having fun. Some people like what you do and some people don't. Always in life, anything you do, someone is going to have a different opinion than what you have."

FOXSports.com columnist Jason Whitlock already went off on Bennett and the video (even though Whitlock himself was criticized for eating ribs on camera) and CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman took the Cowboy to task as well. Check out the video.

Dallas Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett has been spending a lot of time on his You Tube channel lately. On MartyBTV, you can find Bennett rapping about cereal, talking about video games or just dancing around his living room. Most of the videos are pretty funny and just shows a lighter side of an NFL player with his family. But one of Bennett's recent videos with his brother called "Black Olympics" has some Black folks crying foul. In the video, Bennett and his brother Michael, who is on the Seattle Seahawks roster, compete against each other in eating chicken, drinking Kool-Aid, and eating watermelon.

"Me and all my brothers were in the kitchen and as I looked around, I noticed we were eating every stereotype. We got chicken, kool aid, watermelon; we might as well do a Black Olympics. That's what happened," Bennett told the Michael Irvin show this week. "I don't really think it's offensive. It depends on your sense of humor and how you look at things. We were just having fun and it was very funny for me and my brothers, when I look at it I just can't stop laughing. If someone takes offense, I apologize. That wasn't my intention. It was just us having fun. Some people like what you do and some people don't. Always in life, anything you do, someone is going to have a different opinion than what you have."

FOXSports.com columnist Jason Whitlock already went off on Bennett and the video (even though Whitlock himself was criticized for eating ribs on camera) and CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman took the Cowboy to task as well. Check out the video.

Too funny!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)