Dallas/Texas Voomers Unite!

Arlington Voomer

Just had Voom installed today :D . Everything went smoothly. The only problem that I've noticed so far is that the DVI connection seems kind of grainy (Voom provided cable), so I switched back to component video. Anyone else have this problem?

Could be your TV settings, my DVI cable (voom provided) gives me AMAZING PQ. check your tvs settings and see what's up there,

Ok guys, I figured out why my DVI connection looks so bad... The installer provided me with a DVI-Single link cable instead of a DVI-Dual cable :(

Did everyone here receive a DVI-Dual cable?

Yes, I got two of them...(two recivers), only using one, where are you at in TX?

I am using the cable that came out of the Voom box. Getting the SquareShooter installed on Wednesday, will let everyone know about the OTA then. I was able to move the antenna around on Saturday and get a signal quality of 75 for Channel 11 to watch the Final Four. It was SPECTACULAR! I had Comcast HD before and thought the PQ was great, but with the DVI cable, it was the best picture i have EVER seen! the 5.1 sound was breathtaking as well, the dunks were out of this world!

I got the SquareShooter hooked up and it's a lot bigger than i anticipated. It picks up all the stations, except ABC, so I am a happy camper. Anyone know of a good VHF indoor antenna that I can switch to when MNF comes around?

Hello to all DFW Voomers. I just had Voom installed last Saturday here in Garland at my apartment and overall I have been quite happy with it. HD looks fantastic and the SD channels look rather good also. Installation went very well by a knowledgeable guy and the only glitch so far is that I can't get channel 27. I really would like this one because I watch a lot of Ranger games. The channel shows up in the program guide but it says no signal received. Thanks for any suggestions. Hope everyone in the metroplex is enjoying Voom like I am.

Matt :D

Hey everyone. My Voom equipment was installed last week. The installation was a breeze. The installer did not use the stealth antenna - I already had an antenna on the roof that is doing a great job of pulling in all the locals - even Ch. 27. So far I'm happy with the VaVaVoom package and I even got the ok from the wife to have Playboy. I still have my Directtv set-up but I've only switched over to it once in the last week - for the hockey game on Fox Sports Southwest. My original plan was to keep Direct through football season for the SeasonTicket package but I may just drop it if it looks like we will get a steady diet of HD football from the OTA channels.
My only complaint at this point would be with the Voom set top box. It has a lot of peculiar little behaviours while being used - saying that there is "no signal" when I can switch to another channel and then back to the "no signal" channel with no problem, random inability to see any signal from OTA or from Satellite, the need to be re-booted (unplugged) once a day or so. This box reminds me alot of a cable set top box. I have a Zenith DTV1080 that I bought for Direct a couple of years ago and I always thought it was a little flakey but the Voom set top box makes the Zenith seem like the greatest piece of consumer electronics engineering ever. But, to put things in perspective, I still don't think the problems with the box are much more than a minor irritant at worse. I don't think there is a great difference in picture quality between Voom HD material and Direct HD material. I do think Direct SD material is better than Voom's (I almost wonder if the latest firmware doesn't have something to do with that because the first day with Voom, the latest firmware not on the set top box, the SD material looked identical or better). The amount of HD material is almost staggering. That feeling may wear off if there isn't much no material released on the Voom channels over the next few months but right now I can spend a whole day watching nothing but HD movies that are good movies. I also like having the west coast HD feeds, too - that helps to mitigate the lack of a DVR for the time being (not that anyone else has a particularly good solution for HD DVRs at the moment). I don't know that I would suggest Voom to everyone - the overall quality of the entire Voom experience screams out "beta software in development" and there are some people that can't handle the idea of paying for a service that is still ironing out issues. The upside is all the HD: Starz, Cinemax, Encore, HBO, and SHO not to mention the Voom channels. I had some doubts about just how much HD material would be on these movie channels but there is a lot of HD. Anyway, that's my Voom experience so far in Dallas

:D I am getting voom installed on Wednesday this week. I am in The Colony.... I will let you guys know my results....

Hi All...new Voom customer...

Sounding off here in Plano. Just signed up for Voom and the install will happen on Tuesday, April 20. Looking forward to the install and Voom experience. I am an ex-DirecTV subscriber and had cancelled their service almost a year ago. On My original D* install, I had put up a CM3010 Stealth Antenna (no amplifier) on my roof that is connected to a Toshiba DST3000. I still have the dual LNB D* dish up, also connected to the DST3000. Since I am newbie here I do have a few questions if someone would'nt mind helping me with.

1. The installing company is going to be "Metro Tech Solutions". From what I've read, they are a quality outfit. I hope my install will go well. Any additional comments on their install will be appreciated.

2. Since I already have the Stealth Antenna install and all the RG6 cables run to my existing DST3000. All I will need the installer to do is to install the new dish and run the new RG6 to the new Voom box. Has anyone had experience with installing Voom with existing RG6 and antenna? I am thinking my install will be fairly quick.

3. Since my Stealth Antenna does not have an amplifier, I was planning on asking them for the amplifier that is suppose to be part of their install so I can install it on my own. Does anyone know if they will let me have the amplifier? I do get audio and video drop outs on OTA HD on a regular basis and I am hoping the amplifier will fix the problems.

4. I was also going to ask them to give me the Stealth Antenna that they will be bringing out for the install and keep it in the box as a spare. I wonder if they will also allow me to have the antenna.

5. I read on several forum that talks about the dish pointing in the South East direction. I hope is not directly South East because my neighbor has a huge tree that may be in the path of the dish line of sight. Can someone confirm for me that the dish will be pointing in that direction? My current D* dish is pointing toward South West direction. I've done some research on this forum and found that the Satellite is 61.5, and for my Zipcode, my Azimuth is 122 and Elevation angle is 36. How do I figure out what direction an Azimuth of 122 is? any hint will be appreciated.

Well, that's it. Sorry for the long post. Hope to hear from the Dallas group's input.

Thanks,
Tony.

Tony...Im in Plano and my E* 61.5 dish point almost exactly southeast.

I was installed in East Plano on April 10th. The guy from Metro Tech was great, was right on time and got right to work and had me up and running in no time. Very knowledgeable and friendly guy. The STB downloaded the latest software that evening and that got rid of the long channel changing times. I noticed that my SD channels looked quite different from Directv's picture but changed my temperature from the high setting (9200 kelvin) to the low (3600 kelvin) setting and that improved my picture to look a little better than the D* picture. Put on the Master's golf tourney on OTA CBS 11.Whoa!!!!! Have had 55" Mitsubishi CRT for 10 months and only had SD,. When I saw the HD pic, I felt like I was sitting in the camera tower!!!! Could see every blade of grass, every pore on the player's faces. I am also having ch 27 and ch 52 problems but I am calling Installs, Inc. to try to get a better antenna because the Stealth isn't cutting it. Then they added Fox News and I am happy. I don not mind at all being an early subscriber and going thru the growing pains of the young company. They have a brand new, super hott bird and the potential is mind boggling!!! Remember that the other dishes have up to 10 year old technology floating around up there. VOOM has the availability to go MPEG4 in the future, too.

Pete,

I dont believe Ch 27 (KDFI) is broadcasting in digital right now....or its EXTREMELLY low powered. Ive got a monster antenna almost 30 feet in the air. At one time I got Ch 27, now Im not able to pick it up at all.

Steven/Pete...

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to my install. As I mentioned in my original post, since I already have RG6 run from a ground block outside the house to inside the house, I think my install will be very quick. My only concern is the South East direction since my neighbor across the alley has a big tree in that direction. Well, I guess we'll see what the installer will say when he gets here. Pete, you mentioned the following:

"...changed my temperature from the high setting (9200 kelvin) to the low (3600 kelvin) setting and that improved my picture to look a little better than the D* picture..."

I am clueless on this statement, can you explain??

Thanks again guys for the info. I'll keep you posted on how my install went.

Regards,
Tony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)