Dammit Dish.............

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Tonight is the home opener for the Seattle Mariners. They are paying tribute to Dave Niehaus, The voice of the Mariners since day 1 in 1977. He was one of the best of all time and is in the Baseball hall of fame. He died November 10, 2010. To anyone who has live in the northwest and appreciates baseball it is hard to not shed a tear thinking of his passing.

I set the game to record on "Root" sport HD. I get "tune in to see your favorite team in HD" for the first 6 minutes :mad:. Why in the hell wouldn't it broadcast in HD from the time it starts. This really pisses me off. I wanted to have this and archive it on my ehd to keep forever. I still will of course, without the beginning.

Damn stupid way of handling the Root sports (previously Fox sports net) HD chans.

Grrr

Why in the hell wouldn't it broadcast in HD from the time it starts
are you asking a serious question?

Your team is playing on the west coast...also known in Dish land as "JIP Central"

Or maybe one of the Dish team members can chime in... It is 2011, there has to be a better way of broadcasting sports in HD and ensuring the entire broadcast will be shown (Start early, and ensure it does not end before the end of the game due to overtime or whatever.) I wish they would just work on putting the RSN 24/7 HD...

Or maybe one of the Dish team members can chime in... It is 2011, there has to be a better way of broadcasting sports in HD and ensuring the entire broadcast will be shown (Start early, and ensure it does not end before the end of the game due to overtime or whatever.) I wish they would just work on putting the RSN 24/7 HD...
there is..its called the internet

You'll get sympathy from me...but many on this forum don't seem to care about this. They may be tired of seeing threads about it, but it isn't going to stop until Dish makes it right. I'm upset that I just went HD and signed a 2 year contract only to find out that many baseball games are not in HD due to the RSN being part-time. I got responses from "you should've done your homework" (yeah right--would any reasonable person get that info from the Dish website?) to "cancel and take them to small claims court to get out of paying early termination". Wow. Yeah, neither was very helpful.

I agree 100%--RSNs need to be full-time HD. Sports in HD are a must, and I'm not sure why Charlie is so opposed to this. Sports are the only reason I HAVE a satellite. If I wanted to watch TV shows I'd just wait and get them on Netflix or I'd buy an Apple TV. If I want news, I go to the internet. Live sporting events are the only real reason I even have satellite. I'm probably not the only one, either. Whenever I talk to friends about "cutting the cable" it always comes back to sports. Charlie is short-sighted if he doesn't see this.

You'll get sympathy from me...but many on this forum don't seem to care about this. They may be tired of seeing threads about it, but it isn't going to stop until Dish makes it right. I'm upset that I just went HD and signed a 2 year contract only to find out that many baseball games are not in HD due to the RSN being part-time. I got responses from "you should've done your homework" (yeah right--would any reasonable person get that info from the Dish website?) to "cancel and take them to small claims court to get out of paying early termination". Wow. Yeah, neither was very helpful.

I agree 100%--RSNs need to be full-time HD. Sports in HD are a must, and I'm not sure why Charlie is so opposed to this. Sports are the only reason I HAVE a satellite. If I wanted to watch TV shows I'd just wait and get them on Netflix or I'd buy an Apple TV. If I want news, I go to the internet. Live sporting events are the only real reason I even have satellite. I'm probably not the only one, either. Whenever I talk to friends about "cutting the cable" it always comes back to sports. Charlie is short-sighted if he doesn't see this.
It won't happen..E* was too stubborn to carry YES

This is also my main beef with Dish. I was going to go with Direct but from my location small lot and large Fir trees to the south it just won't fly.Dish has made some improvements such as RFD and PBS channels which I really appreciate In HD but Root sports still remains in part time or no time HD.

Hopefully we hear some good news at Team Summit next month. I don't watch sports, but I do agree DISH does need full time HD RSN's.

Hopefully we hear some good news at Team Summit next month. I don't watch sports, but I do agree DISH does need full time HD RSN's.

Can't wait to hear back! That would be a super announcement. I--and others like me--would consider cutting the cable were it not for the desire to watch live sporting events. I don't care if I wait until after the season is over to watch a TV show. In some ways, it is much nicer to get the DVDs from Netflix. No commercials and I can watch several in a row if I like. Charlie really needs to understand that it is mainly sports that keep some of us as paying customers.

Officially, some sports networks are not providing the games 100% of the time in HD. Also, JIP games (when HD related) has to do with the limited amount of bandwidth available to actually provide the channels in full time HD. More specifically, at times when there are a lot of games or events happening at the same time, the bandwidth is allotted to certain events based on specific criteria, and then when the game finishes, the bandwidth can be redirected (JIP) to another game.

While it is not the best thing in the world, it is what it is at this time. New satellites and technology, along with better compression and the elimination of redundant programming, will provide more bandwidth -and free up existing bandwidth- and eventually provide a better resolution (pun intended) to the issue.

I personally do not watch sports 99% of the time (displaced Cowboys fan, so its rare I care to tune-in :D). That being said, I still understand those of you who are religious about watching sports, and prefer them in HD.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate you stopping in. Hopefully once things get moved around it will get better.

Officially, some sports networks are not providing the games 100% of the time in HD. Also, JIP games (when HD related) has to do with the limited amount of bandwidth available to actually provide the channels in full time HD. More specifically, at times when there are a lot of games or events happening at the same time, the bandwidth is allotted to certain events based on specific criteria, and then when the game finishes, the bandwidth can be redirected (JIP) to another game.

While it is not the best thing in the world, it is what it is at this time. New satellites and technology, along with better compression and the elimination of redundant programming, will provide more bandwidth -and free up existing bandwidth- and eventually provide a better resolution (pun intended) to the issue.

I personally do not watch sports 99% of the time (displaced Cowboys fan, so its rare I care to tune-in :D). That being said, I still understand those of you who are religious about watching sports, and prefer them in HD.

Officially, MOST sports networks ARE providing the games 100% of the time in HD. What is the "specific criteria" used to determine who gets stunning standard def programming in lieu of HD?

My contract is up in December. When will the new technology, better compression and elimination of redundant programming provide a better resolution to the issue? Please don't say soon.

How many RSNs aren't providing games in HD 100 percent of the time? FSN Cincinnati comes to mind for a few, but who else. Dish Network doesn't care for the sports fan as you can see by the company ditching three New York RSNs.

Officially, some sports networks are not providing the games 100% of the time in HD.

sorry Hoss but youre wrong. The only RSN's that are game only in HD are FS Ohio and FS Cincy. The rest are HD 24/7. Dish subs are getting the shaft. If someone has one RSN (like FS North for example) they cant guarantee the games are in HD each day......yet if a sub lives in Texas and has Directv they could have FOUR games in HD with no issues. I proved it in a thread. FS SW, FS SW+, FS Houston and an alt had the Rockets, Rangers, Spurs and Stars on the same night...all in HD.
The part time RSN's (Utah, Wisconsin, Houston, Indiana, Tennessee, Carolina) are all in HD

Dish obviously doesnt care about sports. I hear "oh Dish needs to go MPEG4 on Western Arc before you'll see full time RSN's"...um, 129W the HD stuff IS MPEG4 so its already there. Dish decides not to utilize the bandwidth and would rather play a "lets see who is privileged enough to get their game in HD" than actually use bandwidth for HD.

More specifically, at times when there are a lot of games or events happening at the same time, the bandwidth is allotted to certain events based on specific criteria, and then when the game finishes, the bandwidth can be redirected (JIP) to another game.
hmm...directv this past Sunday had a full slate of MLB games, some NBA games, NHL games and 6 channels of the masters in HD...guess they dont have issues with bandwidth

But I guess folks would rather see 15 premium movie channels, RFD TV and OWN in HD instead :rolleyes:

The only games that aren't in HD are selected Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Devils games MSG2 and MSG+2 games, which Cablevision offers in HD. That, obviously, doesn't come into play with Dish right now.

Fox Sports Detroit + also comes into mind since I don't know if broadcasts in HD yet. In short, the Dish rep is blowing smoke up our rears. We all get PR speak, but dodging the issue doesn't help, either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)