DAMN that extra minute!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Widewader

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Southwest Tennessee
One of the network shows we record/watch is a two-hour show that extends into the third hour by a single minute. I want to be able to record two programs in that third hour. That extra minute forces me to make a choice and eliminates one of the programs as a recording possibility. The irony is that one of those programs is on the same network as the "offending minute." As a result, I don't record that program.

Is there anything that can be done about that single minute. I have found that you can set up a recording session to extend the recording time, but apparently there's no way to reduce it.

Start the second program on the same network one minute later, or end the first program one minute earlier; the last minute will appear at the beginning of the second program and you will not miss anything. This must be done by doing a manual setup by time and channel, not program

Widewader said:
One of the network shows we record/watch is a two-hour show that extends into the third hour by a single minute. I want to be able to record two programs in that third hour. That extra minute forces me to make a choice and eliminates one of the programs as a recording possibility. The irony is that one of those programs is on the same network as the "offending minute." As a result, I don't record that program.

Is there anything that can be done about that single minute. I have found that you can set up a recording session to extend the recording time, but apparently there's no way to reduce it.

Add an extra recording hour to the first program. Then you get both programs on one channel in one big block.

I'm confused....what receiver do you have?

You say you have a show that goes over by a minute...then another show on the same network after that + another show

All 3 should record. On my R22 I have a few shows back to back and they record fine. Heck sometimes there are 4 shows recording for 2 minutes on my R22. If shows are back to back that doesn't tie up both tuners.

He wants the first recording to get the whole first show and still be able to record the 2nd show on it's own. I agree that the manual recording is the way to go.

I have the same issue on my HR-24 and the first few times I though there has to be a better way. It'd be nice if there was a 'start 1 minute late' option on the automatic recording settings.

I'm still confused on this because my R22's do record both shows just fine.

The R15 I use to have if you had back to back shows that 2 minutes overlap tied up the 2nd tuner. The R22 it does not. If you had 2 shows back to back and another at the same time you had to use the "start on time/end on time" or it wouldnt work.

Here is what I mean with the R22....
Monday nights I have 4 shows on the same channel back to back. I set all to start 1 min early and end 1 min late. The recordings show when done
7:59-8:31
8:29-9:01
8:59-9:31
9:29-10:01

I also record Pawn Stars on History. That is at 9 & 9:30. They start at
8:59-9:31 and

so between 9:29 & 9:31 the R22 actually records 4 streams with no issue. If the shows are back to back they record fine no matter how long they overlap with no issues. Does not affect 2nd tuner.

They should do both fine since two shows on the same channel that overlap in recording are still using only one tuner.

I'm still confused on this because my R22's do record both shows just fine.

The R15 I use to have if you had back to back shows that 2 minutes overlap tied up the 2nd tuner. The R22 it does not. If you had 2 shows back to back and another at the same time you had to use the "start on time/end on time" or it wouldnt work.

Here is what I mean with the R22....
Monday nights I have 4 shows on the same channel back to back. I set all to start 1 min early and end 1 min late. The recordings show when done
7:59-8:31
8:29-9:01
8:59-9:31

I also record Pawn Stars on History. That is at 9 & 9:30. They start at
8:59-9:31 and

so between 9:29 & 9:31 the R22 actually records 4 streams with no issue. If the shows are back to back they record fine no matter how long they overlap with no issues. Does not affect 2nd tuner.

I am With you Ice My Hr-21 does the same thing

They should do both fine since two shows on the same channel that overlap in recording are still using only one tuner.

yes I know. The OP says that too
The irony is that one of those programs is on the same network as the "offending minute."

so why shouldnt it work just like the example I gave above

Maybe the recordings aren't set to have the same tuner record the back to back shows. Is that an option? If so the OP should check it.

For instance:

Tuner 1 records first show
Tuner 1 then records a different show after that one is over
Meanwhile tuner 2 is being asked to start the 2nd show even though it's tied up recording something else.

Directv DVR's you can't "choose" which tuner to record since there is only one output on the receiver.

Looking at his other posts he has HD so its not a R15 or R16 we're working with.
So it should work as noted above.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)