Dan Patrick Leaving ESPN

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
hot off the press, patrick announced on his radio show today he's leaving ESPN august 17 to ``go out on his own.'' :(

since he has been at ESPN forever, this is huge. he told his listeners he was starting to feel like very neglected.

reaction?

Well, ever since Dan and Keith broke up on sporstcenter, espn sports coverage has just not been the same for me.

I agree with SatinKzo. I won't be sad to see Patrick leave.

I have a feeling I'll get flamed but...ESPN needs to get back to covering sports and emphasizing the content of the games. Nearly all of the sportscasters on ESPN these days think it's about them and their gimmick sayings. I used to chuckle every once in a while at a good Berman/Patrick/Mayne quip but now it seems like the pendulum has swung too far into Mel Blanc cartoon land.

Just MHO

i was just thinking the same thing.......that dan seemed to lose something after olby left. that's why it was a treat, at least for me, to listen to them do a couple hours on his radio show together. of course, keith was doing his stuff on the phone from nyc and it wasn't quite the same.

as for stew, he needed to go years ago. i remember how much my late mother detested him when he did weekend sports in orlando. and my mom wasn't the kind of person to complain about much. but she truly detested him!!

let me clarify something......patrick said he was taking his job for granted, not vice-versa. this retired reporter needs to straighten that out!

Looks like we alll feel the same way. Things change though, and if those two had continued on till now, we would probabily saying how old and stale SC had gotten. But still, I do miss those days. Sorry to see him go. Definitely one of the greats.

a few years ago, there were grumblings surfacing that ESPN was seriously thinking of rehiring olbermann full-time......that they seemed to be willing to bury the hatchet. and, if true, i think it was probably wise olbermann stayed at msnbc. i'm not sure a remarriage would have ever worked. dan seemed to be the only person who truly missed keith. that, they remain good friends, i think is a testament to his character.

i hear keith is still forbidden from going anywhere near bristol. what a shame!

I don't watch Sportscenter (ESPN) but I do watch SportsCentre (TSN in Canada) for 3 reasons
-they actually care about hockey :)
-they don't put themselves ahead of the sports
-Jennifer Hedger is much better on the eyes than any female at ESPN that does Sportscenter:)
header-jennifer_hedger.jpg

I will have to check and see if there are any for sale signs on his house. :)

Mabe he can go back and do sports for WFSB Channel 3 which is where he was at before going to ESPN.

actually, i read he was at tony and eva's wedding over the weekend and someone asked him if he was going to be the next host of the price is right!!

a few years ago, there were grumblings surfacing that ESPN was seriously thinking of rehiring olbermann full-time......that they seemed to be willing to bury the hatchet. and, if true, i think it was probably wise olbermann stayed at msnbc. i'm not sure a remarriage would have ever worked. dan seemed to be the only person who truly missed keith. that, they remain good friends, i think is a testament to his character.

i hear keith is still forbidden from going anywhere near bristol. what a shame!

Ok...enlighten me. I was out of the country when Keith left ESPN. What were the details about his departure?

you have to know it was a bitter divorce and you have to know that olbermann has long had a history of being a popmpous a** to put it mildly. olbermann would eventually confess he was very insecure and that's where this part of his personality came from. he has since apologized to former co-workers and written a mea culpa piece for salon magazine.

i'm not sure how this happened but a few years ago, dan asked keith (with espn's blessing, i reckon) to do an hour of his radio program every friday. well, obviously, it became so popular that olbermann was asked to contribute monday through friday. that's when those grumblings surfaced. whether or not, they were true is not known. but as part of their agreement to expand olbermann, he had to agree to never step foot on the bristol campus again.

hence, the reason olbermann does his part from a radio station in nyc.

hope that helps fill in a few blanks, webby!

I thought dan was great on SportsCenter but when I started listening to his radio show I grew to hate him. Most sports radio is about controversy and I am OK with that as long as the host can make a reasonable argument. Dan Patrick is totally incapable of doing that. I am glad to see him go.

I have mixed feelings about this. He hasn't been on SportsCenter much in the last few years anyway so I won't miss him that much. I don't agree that they should start getting rid of everybody though. I like to look at the pretty ladies as much as the next guy, but I really don't like seeing some dumb blonde trying to tell something about sports like Jillian Barberie on Fox Football.

I will miss Dan, I liked his show, I liked it better with Dibble than Oberman, but I'm ok with the change.

I too heard rumors about "The Price is Right !"
Hell, I thought that went off the air years ago, just figured they were in syndication.

Any word as to what / Who will be filling the 1-4 pm slot ?

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)