DarellP, this one is for you...

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
DarellP,
The following is your text from "Dish vs Voom PQ" topic:

I prefer the Voom SD PQ overall, there are a few turkeys up there, but for the most part Voom has a much sharper, detailed image.

HDNET HD is the best I've ever seen, last night Destiny Turned On the Radio & Bikini Destinations were awesome. I think once Voom cranks the rez back up to 1080i on the Cinema10 channels they will look as good as HDNET.

DiscoveryHD & ESPNHD are the same now.

Are you saying that Cinema10 channels are not in 1080i? I recently switched to Voom from Dish and noticed that HD PQ on Voom is somewhat lower than on Dish. HBO, ESPN, and DHDT look pretty much the same but Cinema10 channels including WorldSport definitely are not as clear and detailed as other Voom's HD channels or Dish's HDNet Movies, for example. If those channels are not in 1080i, that would explain why. Do you know anything more about it?

Conjuror said:
DarellP,
The following is your text from "Dish vs Voom PQ" topic:

Are you saying that Cinema10 channels are not in 1080i? I recently switched to Voom from Dish and noticed that HD PQ on Voom is somewhat lower than on Dish. HBO, ESPN, and DHDT look pretty much the same but Cinema10 channels including WorldSport definitely are not as clear and detailed as other Voom's HD channels or Dish's HDNet Movies, for example. If those channels are not in 1080i, that would explain why. Do you know anything more about it?
these channels are now in 720p until encoder upgrades are complete per wilt

But aren't they still 1080i in source and downconverted to 720p for broadcast since they were made for the Cinema 10's 1080i?

cameron119 said:
But aren't they still 1080i in source and downconverted to 720p for broadcast since they were made for the Cinema 10's 1080i?
some would say 720p is an "upgrade"-uh-oh wrong thread-sorry!lol

eschu97611 said:
some would say 720p is an "upgrade"-uh-oh wrong thread-sorry!lol

The proper term when reducing resolution is downconvert. 1080i to 720p is downconversion, whether the 720p folks like it or not. It isn't a conspiracy, it's just a fact. More pixels are displayed per frame of 1080i than 720p.

I like both sources when they're natively broadcast and displayed, but I had to respond to the off-topic remark.

cameron119 said:
The proper term when reducing resolution is downconvert. 1080i to 720p is downconversion, whether the 720p folks like it or not. It isn't a conspiracy, it's just a fact. More pixels are displayed per frame of 1080i than 720p.

I like both sources when they're natively broadcast and displayed, but I had to respond to the off-topic remark.

We should also remember that upconversion cannot produce more detail in the picture. If properly done it can smooth out edges making them look sharper but it cannot improve colors either. In fact, by upconverting pristine 720p signal to 1080i you can lose some information. I clearly prefer to watch both in their original form.

cameron119 said:

And we all thank you for your response-off topic or not(btw-what IS the topic again?LMAO)

Conjuror, I'm going to throw you another bone: right now ESPNHD is being broadcast by Voom in 1080i, not it's native 720p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts