Dayton HD Locals Sound Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iancgood

Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Has anyone in the Dayton market had trouble with the sound from the newly-launched HD locals? I lose all sound except the bass track whenever my channels go to commercial (and sometimes even when not in commercial). I called support and they made vague suggestions about a possible Dolby Digital problem but I have no such problems on any other HD channel nor did I have these problems when using my OTA antenna (routing sound the exact same way).

iancgood - I had Dayton Locals for about 1 week and had no problems with audio. I had to switch back to Cincy locals last night while troubleshooting an HD receiver problem. Long story. But I had no such audio problems with any of the Dayton channels during my brief time watching them.

so why am I having problems?

If my sound works on every other station, HD or not, and it works with the HD locals if I get them OTA, how can it be my problem? The DTV support person said he was going to elevate my problem and I should call back if it hasn't been fixed in three days. I don't have much confidence that it will be fixed. It is incredibly frustrating to be watching a program and have the sound suddenly disappear for minutes at a time.

Some Problems

I've had some minor issues with the sound on Dayton HD Locals. It seems to have much softer volume and occasionally channel 7 has some audio/video problems. I haven't had the sound totally drop out, though...

UPDATE: More information

Since getting the Dayton HD locals a couple of weeks ago I continually lose sound during commercials and other non-hd content (and even during some HD content). It turns out that by turning the 'Dolby Digital' sound OFF on my receiver I can get the sound all the time (but sacrifice good sound on every other channel). I've spoken with DTV several times and they insist that it is the fault of ALL of my local stations. They say that the signal DTV gets from my local stations is 'completely different' from the signal that I get OTA with my antenna (which causes no such sound problems, even when piped through the hr-20). So I called my local stations today and they say that the signal DTV gets is EXACTLY the same signal as everyone else gets OTA, in fact DTV gets their signal OTA. Furthermore, they say that DTV is the one uploading the signal to their satellites, not the local broadcasters. The DTV CSRs insist that the local broadcasters are the ones sending the signal to DTV and they must be wrong.

Who is right and who is wrong and how can I get someone at DTV to listen to me and address this issue? I spoke with three levels of CSRs the other night and got stonewalled. Their answer is 'wait until February and see if it gets fixed', insinuating that the local broadcasters were 'having trouble' with the digital switchover and would get it resolved by the Feb deadline.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts