DB Server Upgrade Tonight (2009-02-02)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also noticed that HDRoberts said it seems a bit also.

At school we are on a 1 Gig Internet 2 line which is super fast. I asked out IT Dept guy and asked him if there was any problems today and he said that there wasn't at all. There was a few this past weakened. He also said that we have a big switch in Houston, Tx and then 2 add/ drop station switch in Dallas, Tx. There is 2 lines that go to dallas incase of a problem.

Based on this, I don't think that there is a problem on my end of things.

Sorry, but could you please look into this further.

Thanks again, Josh

I seriously doubt your high school is on an Internet 2 connection. Its an advanced network for universities and research partners. We have I2 at my university, but access to it is limited for specific projects.

I will admit I have been noticing a slowdown when the backups kick in. I believe we are backing up every two hours. It seems as though rsync is eating up a lot of CPU when its copying over the database files. But then again the databases are huge now, thats a couple gig data transfer done in just a few minutes.

In fact it just did it as I was typing the last message. Rsync is doing the backup and is eating 50% of the CPU on the webserver machine.

Turns out, the DB machines version of rsync was 3.0.0. Current is 3.0.5. Updated. Let's see if that helps!

I hope so. I get freaked when I click on a SatGuys link and it doesn't respond in the usual 1/4 second...

I hope so. I get freaked when I click on a SatGuys link and it doesn't respond in the usual 1/4 second...
Me too. :)

I don't think that a lot of folks understand that the staff here (myself included) are all volunteers here and that we all work hard to make sure the system is operating at 100%. But in saying that because we all have real job and families there are times the system hiccups and it takes a few minutes before any of us can get to the servers and fix the issues.

We try our best because we want the best for all our members. Unfortunately sometimes our best isn't as good as we would want things to be, but alas we are human. :)

I seriously doubt your high school is on an Internet 2 connection. Its an advanced network for universities and research partners. We have I2 at my university, but access to it is limited for specific projects.

Believe me it is Internet 2. At our high school we connect to a 1Gig line that provides the Jackson Laboratory with about a Gig and a half to 2 gig's. That line then connects to the internet 2 line in Boston, MA. Our line is called Maine R&E which connects to Internet 2 via the NOX crossroads. The NOX crossroads are part of Internet 2.

Last edited:
Me too. :)

I don't think that a lot of folks understand that the staff here (myself included) are all volunteers here and that we all work hard to make sure the system is operating at 100%. But in saying that because we all have real job and families there are times the system hiccups and it takes a few minutes before any of us can get to the servers and fix the issues.

We try our best because we want the best for all our members. Unfortunately sometimes our best isn't as good as we would want things to be, but alas we are human. :)

I am sorry Scott, but i totally understand that 100%. I was just pointing out my problems to you guys know about them, so if possible you could maybe correct them.

Thanks for all you do.

I kinda think the lag that I am seeing is because on the back up. That would explain why sometimes it slow and then sometimes its fine.

Is there anything that be down to make the backup use less of the CPU.

UPDATE: So far today everything is a bit faster. Still a few second lag at the beginning, but thats not bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)