DC Splitter to Diseqc Switch Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

foseco

Original poster
May 6, 2011
UK
switch/splitter setup

Hi all. I realise this is an old thread but I am trying to do a similar thing with my system. I have a motorised dish going to a DC splitter with DC pass on both ports and then to two Chess 2x1 Diseqc switches and on to a DM800 and DM500. I also have a fixed dish feeding to both Diseqc switches and both receivers. The feed from the fixed dish is fine but I can't get anything from the motorised dish. If I take the splitter out of the mix and connect the motorised dish to either switch, it works. I have attached a diagram of what I am trying to do to make things clearer. Sorry for the poor quality of my drawing.

IMAG0008.jpg

in most cases you cannot put a splitter in the line of the motor. You can do some damage to the motor or even the receiver

Does the LNB on the motorized dish a dual LNB? If so just run a separate line from the LNB to the 2nd receiver. The 800 would control the motor and both receivers can see both dishes

Hi All. I have the following setup; A motorised dish feeding to a DC splitter with DC pass on both ports. This feeds to two Chess 2x1 Diseqc switches and these feed to two receivers, a DM800 and DM500. I also have a fixed dish with a quad LNB feeding to the two switches and again to the two receivers. The fixed feed is fine but I get nothing on the motorised feed and there is no power being supplied to the motor. If I connect the motor directly to either of the switches it works fine. I took a look at an old thread that seems to be doing a similar setup...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/117870-switch-splitter-question.html

Any ideas? I have attached a diagram of what I am trying to do. Sorry for the poorness of my artwork.

Thanks

IMAG0008.jpg

The motorised dish has a quad LNB on it, but I wanted both receivers to be able to control the dish if they need to. I don't want them both on at the same time. I did this on a previous setup with the same receivers and both could control the motor as long as only one box was on at a time which is fine for the setup I have. The only difference with this setup is the addition of the Diseqc switches.

If I set it up as you suggest, I'm guessing I woud need to select a different satellite on the DM800 which may cause problems as it is upstairs and the DM500 is downstairs, unless I use the web admin of the box. If I fed the signal from the OUT of the DM800 to the IN of the DM500 would I get the same signals on both and would the DM500 then be able to move the dish?

I was going to agree with Ice, as shown in the top diagram. ( where both receivers can be on) But you say you had it working before? The Revised thought should work, if the Power pass splitter is directional. meaning it will not pass power from one receiver to the other. Also, only one receiver can be on at a time, for proper operation.

Attachments

• Final_Dual_dish_motor.JPG
    Final_Dual_dish_motor.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 657
That how I have my setup, the azbox and openbox thru a power pass spiltter on a motorized dish. Only one receiver on at a time.

The power pass splitters I use work in the opposite direction. You put power in one port and the power passes to the 2 out ports. 1 in, 2 out. As they are using diodes to pass the power, they will not pass power from the out port to the in port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.