Musical LNBF's...... what one should I choose....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nicknjen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Mid Michigan
I have just taken delivery on my AZbox Ultra and am starting to really like it. I have a 8 1/2 foot solid Birdview and now am in the process of choosing an LNBF and I would like to get the most "bang" for my setup.

My first LNB was a GeoSat Pro C/Ku which I hooked to my VisionSat 9000 HD and worked very well for C band but did not work well for Ku... The thing I liked about this LNBF is it was built tough! Made from all aluminum, constructed well and looks like it would hold up well.

Member Radio got me my second LNBF, a 741 which worked pretty good for C-band and quite well for Ku, however it had the orange plastic Ku end on it.. and within about a week had filled with water and quit working.

My third I bought was another DMX741 with the same plastic Ku end on it and covered it with a 2 L bottle. It has been working well since and is now connected to the AZbox. I am not as impressed with the construction of the 741.. it is light and made from lighter die cast metal. The electronics cover is just held in with a rolled edge (no mechanical fasteners) and sealed with some silicone.

I tried the GeoSat C/Ku lnb with the AZbox and had the same problem with it not working on Ku unless I set the LNB frequency to 10600.. Is there a possibility that this LNBF is a Universal and not a standard?

What I am looking for is a LNBF that is built good, going to pull in signals well, but not break the bank. So I am looking for any suggestions at all.

I was thinking about an Ortho setup.. but I haven’t figured out how to set the polar rotor to switch with the 13/18 volts.. I was thinking I could control it somehow with a PLC but more work that I want to get into at the moment.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Combo C-Ku LNBF's require a good bit of tweaking to obtain acceptable performance. Usually giving up some C band performance to get the most out of Ku.
I bought was another DMX741 with the same plastic Ku end on it and covered it with a 2 L bottle.
Good Idea
GeoSat C/Ku lnb - not working on Ku unless I set the LNB frequency to 10600.. Is there a possibility that this LNBF is a Universal and not a standard?
universal would be my guess
Ortho setup.. but I haven’t figured out how to set the polar rotor to switch with the 13/18 volts
ortho's don't have a servo, 1 lnb per polarity & band. A C-Ku ortho would have 4 lnb'x. Use a multi-switch. preferably modified to supply 18-20 v to each lnb, or power inserter's.

I have Gospell GKC-D002 C and Universal KU-band LNB that is supposed to be the same as the GeoSat lnb you have, not only do you use 10600 for Ku, but you also need to turn on 22k to select the upper band you need in N.A.
Very good lnb I might say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)