DCII free channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rocket69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
On Your Roof!
wuld using a old star choice box work to get the free chanels(Fleebay)??

Im trying to find one as i only need it for access to shut the wife up.. I wuld go the 4dtv rout but the HOA wuld have a cow if i tossed up a 5' bud plus the cost of that recever is still to steep for one chanel. SO thats my story ..

I got great quality 71-75% in socal on the KU side for Access but DVB box wont do it ... it will be a dark x-mas if i cant pull this off

Last edited by a moderator:
The DSR410s can remap for Starchoice. I posted in the past. I ended up getting a few PPV promo channels, a home shopping channel and some gov't type channel. But, nothing worth watching. No EPG but the channel info comes in.

Maybe certain Starchoice receivers could map the other way. I remember, I had to reset the provider ID from the menu. I think the selection was to search for a new authorization stream and do a soft reset on a frequency with DCII on it. That changed the provider ID from HITS. Just do not do a master reset, then it needs trips from the provider to work again which it won't get from other providers.

I've seen these boxes for $10 on Ebay. I couldn't resist.

found a DSR 405 that is in my price range also a 4dtv but bolth have 5+ days to go. I have many units at my hand from the past 15 years of sat installs in the US but the office 4dtv is the boss girl so i cant take hir out,,,, :-(

The older Starchoice boxes that previously had a sub should get Access, Shopping Channel, CKUA and the preview channels

I italicized the word should as last time I tried it (year or so ago) it did work

Thanks for the new thred ice..

Saw a motorola DSR- 451 mn that is in my price range but no info is given.. Also watching a 920 but still has time to go ..

Also if the Box is star choice wuld i still beable to pull other DCII free programing or suld i look for true 4dtv recevers.

Ice if want to ditch one of your old Sc recever pm me :hungry:

The SC box cant pull in other stuff but the 4DTV can't pull in the channel you want. Any 4DTV unit will get just the freeview channels (200 etc)

Only box I have is my 205...the 315 I had was sold a year ago

I jsut tried my 410 that I factory reset and it gets just 200, 327 etc which is the PPV preview channnel

351 & 354 I get "not subscribed"

I last tried an ex sub 410(SC) in the spring and it did get all the free channels listed by lyngsat on both the anik KU sats including Access. I haven't tried since then because I wasn't interested in any of the channels.

Thanks schlever and all others im now truly looking to buy a SC receiver.. have posted in the classifieds. If i cant find one hear im on to fleebay

Note** I did a no no posting in the classifieds for WTB Star choice receiver and is now removed..,, Gess im stuck with Fleebay

Last edited:
Do you need the actual Starchoice receiver or one that's from the HITS mapped to Starchoice? I'm not sure from rereading the post what you're looking for.

If it's just some free channels, why not a cheap FTA box for the RTN channels?

He is looking for a specific free channel (Access) and it is a DCII channel on Anik F1R. It is not in zero key though, so it must be a exsub (or current sub) SC box to get it. Other DCII receivers won't get it nor will a new SC box that has never been subbed.

Where are you located Rocket? If your in Canada I picked mine up at Value Village for $10 .... check there or Kijji for your area, you never know.

He is looking for a specific free channel (Access) and it is a DCII channel on Anik F1R. It is not in zero key though, so it must be a exsub (or current sub) SC box to get it. Other DCII receivers won't get it nor will a new SC box that has never been subbed.

Access is in FP mode. Virtually any GI/Motorola commercial receiver should be able to receive it. GI/Motorola receivers will usually receive FP mode if they have ever been used before. Non GI/Mot receivers only get ZK mode. Some receivers may not be able to get it if they can't tune that freq/SR combo, but the commercial receivers can tune it.
I just checked and it comes in fine with my 4200 . Last 4200 I got on Ebay for about $40. I bought my first one for about $1200, but that was about 12 years ago... sad to see them so cheap... and they're probably cheaper now, because I bought my $40 4200 back when all the PBS channels were DCII.
There were also 2 FP audio channels on the mux, one of them had some nice classical music, but the other one was just a buzzing sound.
Anyway, a cheap 4200 receiver will get Access.

EDIT: BTW, not all channels marked as free by Lyngsat will always be viewable by a 4200. SC seems to do some strange things with the VCT on their muxes. Last time I tried tuning some SC channels, a couple years ago, there was one transponder that did some weird things to my receiver, and I wasn't able to tune a couple channels that were supposedly free... perhaps they weren't FP, but some freebee to subscribers only, but I seem to remember some real strange behavior. Some transponders have VCTs that lead your receivers to other frequencies which have another VCT, and it sometimes confuses the 4200. I think it was something like that. However this transponder that Access is on seems to behave normally.

Last edited:
BJ thanks for the info i have a GI2400 made in 1988... il have to see if i can get that POS to fire up and work with my harmony remote as its so old dont think they will have the code for it..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)