Deactivating a used directv hd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Doesnt seem to be, since he's asking if he can install it himself to the apartment buildings dish and doesnt seem sure of how to go about it.

If he was trying to avoid a commitment or extension, buying a used receiver unless its a truly owned receiver wont help. Activating any receiver thats not owned creates a commitment or extension. I didnt think any/many H20's were put out as 'owned' units, were there? I thought the only owned HD receivers in any sort of volume were the HR21pro's.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that 99.2% of the people who buy used receivers are trying to duck the commitment and that doesnt necessarily work. And half the time they end up 'buying' a leased box.

I have a question about this part. Isn't it true that if you get a defective or obsolete leased box replaced, that doesn't trigger an extension? I recently received a replacement SD D11 box for an old Sony AT4 SD box with no extension.

I have a question about this part. Isn't it true that if you get a defective or obsolete leased box replaced, that doesn't trigger an extension? I recently received a replacement SD D11 box for an old Sony AT4 SD box with no extension.

That's how it's supposed to work, at least the defective part. I don't know about the obsolete issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't always!

That's how it's supposed to work, at least the defective part. I don't know about the obsolete issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't always!

It was a special issue , it was the box has guide issues along wiht a few other first -third gen boxes. where we have been replacing them as they cant hold all our guide data any more.

I cant spell it out for you unfortunately I wish some one else would . You might even have to play csr roulette. Normally a customer calls in we ask for there account number or phone number. if they dont have that infomation which some of them dont we try other methods to pull up there account.

Thanks for the info guys. I was able to get the information, deactivate the box, and reactive it under my name. Now I'm just waiting for the new access card in the mail.

Final question: would it be possible for me to install the box by myself? If I set up a professional installer, theyre going to charge me $50. I live in an apartment complex where there is one large satellite that feeds the entire complex, so I don't know if this makes things easier or more difficult.

Thanks again!

Hello,
I am in the same boat as coast. I purchased my receiver from Goodwill and it was verified to be an owned receiver by the manager and myself. We were told it can be activated by anyone. I called to order an access card to activate the receiver now DirecTV said "The receiver is still active on another account. There is a $0 balance, and it does show to be an owned receiver, but whoever had this, never took it off their account and I need to contact the owner to deactivate it." How did you do this as donations are anonymous? I would really appreciate some help.
Thank you & enjoy yuor day,
Robert

Hello,
I am in the same boat as coast. I purchased my receiver from Goodwill and it was verified to be an owned receiver by the manager and myself. We were told it can be activated by anyone. I called to order an access card to activate the receiver now DirecTV said "The receiver is still active on another account. There is a $0 balance, and it does show to be an owned receiver, but whoever had this, never took it off their account and I need to contact the owner to deactivate it." How did you do this as donations are anonymous? I would really appreciate some help.
Thank you & enjoy yuor day,
Robert

How did you and the manager determine the box is owned? Did you contact Directv? It's odd that it is still active on someone's account, since they would be paying $5 a month for it even though they aren't using it.

How did you and the manager determine the box is owned? Did you contact Directv? It's odd that it is still active on someone's account, since they would be paying $5 a month for it even though they aren't using it.

The manage called and he also said it would be a good idea if I call 1-800-531-5000 ask for " Tech Support " or " Access Card Distribution Dept. " to confirm its status and verify the RID#. Which, I did.

Thanks for the reply,

Robert

The manage called and he also said it would be a good idea if I call 1-800-531-5000 ask for " Tech Support " or " Access Card Distribution Dept. " to confirm its status and verify the RID#. Which, I did.

Thanks for the reply,

Robert

You called and found out it's owned but didn't find out you couldn't activate it on your account until you ordered an access card? Odd.

You called and found out it's owned but didn't find out you couldn't activate it on your account until you ordered an access card? Odd.

I did not ask however, when I called Tech. Support at Goodwill he said it was properly deactivated after researching the receiver. Very Odd...There was no card with the receiver and I was thinking that the card is what is attached to an account. (that is what I get for thinking).

Is there any way I can activate this on my account? Do I just keep calling CSR to try and deactivate this from the donators account?

I appreciate the help,

Robert

Well, where to start? I called again and talked to Tech. Support Rep. They informed me that this receiver is active on another account since 2008 and it is the only receiver on their account. I tried to talk with her on what my options are. She would give me no advice. I asked if she would be willing to contact the person in which the receiver shows active. She check with the supervisor and can back with emphatic No. I told I thought out of customer service perspective they should notify the account holder and inform them that somebody else is trying to activate "Here" receiver but, she said she could not. She then referred me to her supervisor.

The supervisor came on the line after being briefed of the situation. She said she would not contact the account holder. She said she had a record of when I called back in September to check the status of this receiver and verified that it was owned and had a $0 balance but not that I was told it was deactivated. I then remembered that the Tech I spoke with in September told me that it was deactivate because there may have been a power supply issue with it. She would have none of it. Then said I thought as a customer of DirecTV for the last 10 years I would think that you would have an obligation to notify the account holder that somebody else is trying to active my receiver. Still received a NO.

She would not listen to anything I had to say and was extremely RUDE. I asked her this simple question: If this receiver happened to be stolen would you contact the account holder or at least the authorities. Then went only say two things the rest of our conversation " I cannot provide you with any of DirecTV policies or procedure what we will and will not do" and "You cannot activate this receiver on your account." I asked her more questions with the same response. Example: "This question has nothing to do with the receiver in question. I want to know as a customer if my receiver is stolen will you contact me or the local authorities informing them that somebody (possible thief) is trying to activate my receiver. She refused to tell me anything. After 51 minutes and 45 seconds later she hung up on me. I have dealt with many difficult / rude people in my life and line of work but, she takes the cake.

I apologize for the rant but, I have never been more upset than I am right now.

She did say I can call anytime and try to active it. NICE

Robert

The box may have been stolen and then "anonymously donated" to Goodwill when that person found out they couldn't activate it. After reading all the points I am still not too sure why you are so upset at DirecTV other than you basically got jobbed out of a few bucks by trying to score a great deal on a used, not too sure where it came from, DirecTV unit. Chalk it up to never buying stuff like this in the manner in which you did and go get another receiver.

I mean really, what do you expect them to do? In this day and age with ID thieves, crooks and lawsuits waiting to happen with privacy concerns and darn near every other reason these days; they really can't go down this avenue. Just donate the receiver back to Goodwill and get something more legit from a reputable seller or reseller of such items or from someone you may know personally and can trust or contact at a later time if need be.

How's the AZ weather? Lived in Gilbert for about 12 years before being transferred about 3 years ago and wish I was still there.

Last edited:
The receiver might have been used on a active account for a while. Then it was deactivated and used with a hacked card. The card had a ecm by Directv. After the ecm, the thief tried to rehack the card but couldn't because it was an older card that was phased out. With a phased out card and a nonactive account, the previous owner "donated" the receiver to Goodwill to get rid of evidence.

It's possible, if this is a recent issue that the recvr is still under the Owners account till the end of the month of the person that was paying the bill (not necessarily the month, but the bill date of the owner. )

I bought one from a person here and had thier locals till the end of thier billing cycle.

The receiver might have been used on a active account for a while. Then it was deactivated and used with a hacked card. The card had a ecm by Directv. After the ecm, the thief tried to rehack the card but couldn't because it was an older card that was phased out. With a phased out card and a nonactive account, the previous owner "donated" the receiver to Goodwill to get rid of evidence.

He didn't say what the model was on the recvr, but the owned stuff hasn't been put out by D* since March of '06

Receiver model and access card number, if it came with one, would help.

I would not give the Access card number out to anyone ....
You'll know the generation by the recvr model.
If he/she wants to give the first 4 numbers , fine, but not the whole number.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)