Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think that this is a brilliant move by Charlie, but I agree with Greg. I think the judge will hit the roof at the "loophole" Dish is using and will stop it.

Will Dish be able to get it overturned on appeal is the question.

According to the document that JL referenced in his post over at DBStalk, it looked like NPS is subcontracting with a third party to uplink their signal to Echostar's satellite, so even the "going through Echostar's Uplink Center" argument goes out the window.

I love it. Stuff like this is why I stick with E*. If this injunction happened with Directv, we'd been shut off the day the injunction was issued and this would be a dead matter to them.

I think that this is a brilliant move by Charlie, but I agree with Greg. I think the judge will hit the roof at the "loophole" Dish is using and will stop it.

Will Dish be able to get it overturned on appeal is the question.

Like E* said in their response, the court can't bar EVERYONE from providing distant signals.

Or are all the stations like WWOR, WPIX,WGN,WTBS, KWGN and KTLA all grandfatherd as they were superstations in the early day.

I had thought that the remaining superstations (WPIX, WWOR, WSBK, KWGN and KTLA) were grandfathered into an exemption from SyndEx, which is why I still don't understand how a local station can, under the law, require (as opposed to request) programs on the Superstations to be blacked out. If it is necessary to blackout the Superstations, I'm not sure what legally prevents other stations not affiliated with the Big 4 from being offered nationally with blackouts. Would it require a separate license which does not currently exist?

Anyway, I'd think, if there were enough interest, it could be done with MyTV stations in the same way they had KSWB and WBZL/WSFL for markets without CW/WB. Unless Rupert has some means of preventing it, at least. I wouldn't mind having KCOP and KRON, though.

Filling in some gaps in the PT24 memoriam, WSEE replaced WRAL probably around the end of 1998. WJLA from Washington D.C. was the ABC East for a time, and I think KABC was the West at one point. I never saw them, but the KNBC/WNBC feeds Robert mentioned must have been customized national versions through PT24. Any word as to why they discontinued all of the western feeds? With all the restrictions against them, was it just not profitable to offer both coasts? Does PT24 even still exist? I couldn't find a website for them, but obviously NPS has the same service... or are they the same company?

NPS leased a transponder from E* and they are free to do whatever they'd like with it, just because E* can't sell distants doesn't mean anyone who does business with E* can't sell them either.
What the heck do you think that the phrase in the injunction is that the four defendants, their attorneys, officers, and any person in active concert or participation with Echostar means?

Another thought...how can NPS authorize the recievers' cards to allow the programming if they are not working "in concert" with Echostar? I doubt they will have the ability to authorize cards from their end.

NPS will probably have access to our accounts once we sign up. I am sure they will ask for our smart card #s on their website tomorrow.

What the heck do you think that the phrase in the injunction is that the four defendants, their attorneys, officers, and any person in active concert or participation with Echostar means?

"Active concert or participation" =/= a third party leasing a transponder for any purpose they desire

What ever you believe is going to happen - gotta give Charlie and Dishnetwork props. When the court order was finally given none of us really thought anything would be done by Congress, at least not this year. Now there is a bill ready for approval. It may or may not pass, but to even be on the table this quick is remarkable.

Then, as Bullwinkle would say, "Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat." We now have a pending solution, at least for some people.

*sigh* The transponder does not have "purpose", NPS is free to do whatever they want with it.

No, the letter between the parties specifically says that the purpose of the lease of the transponder is for the provision of DNS. The intention and purpose of its use is clear.

It was decided BY NPS *AFTER* the lease was completed that they would sell distant networks.

Now you're just making things up. Don't throw out a hopeful assumption as fact.

Yes Charlie is a great poker player, and pulled out the Royal Flush at the last moment possible.

Its give us some great talk this afternoon as has Greg Bimson who has also gave us some great stuff to talk about today as well.

The BIG question is what kind of qualification system is NPS going to be using. If it's similar to the C-Band rules since they ARE a C-Band provider, that'd be great. And once again, hopefully former distant subs to E* who were just cut off who have valid waivers will be given special consideration.

Great yes but when is all the info gonna come out you would think that they would at least know the policies and proceedures for all to read right now at a minimum. Seems like there web site will be really busy come midnight tonight just 7 and a half hours to go. At least I can try and get this done before I go to bed.

Now will be a real pain in the but having to write down all those numbers for every reciever in the houe and not get one of them wrong when you punch it in the system.

I'm just assuming that's how it'll work. I'm sure we'll have to give NPS something, maybe just our Dish account #. Not really sure how smoothly all of this will go if they insist on us using their website to order.

Yes Charlie is a great poker player, and pulled out the Royal Flush at the last moment possible.

Its give us some great talk this afternoon as has Greg Bimson who has also gave us some great stuff to talk about today as well.

I think this is more of a split pot (if this goes through) rather than a win. :D

Filling in some gaps in the PT24 memoriam, WSEE replaced WRAL probably around the end of 1998.

True - THAT'S the CBS I could not remember.

WJLA from Washington D.C. was the ABC East for a time

I think that' true as well.

and I think KABC was the West at one point.

Nope, always was KOMO Seattle

Any word as to why they discontinued all of the western feeds? With all the restrictions against them, was it just not profitable to offer both coasts?

Not to mention the fact the C-band business in general was dying off pretty fast once DBS hit the sceen. Those analog C-band x-ponders are PRETTY costly & with the oncoming restrictions being enforced against PT24, if you DON'T have paying customers for these channels, it's pretty hard to pay for rising x-ponder costs. ;) ;)

Does PT24 even still exist? I couldn't find a website for them, but obviously NPS has the same service... or are they the same company?

Yep, they still are a separate company - there is another C-band prog co that sells their service as well. It's probably a safe bet they're hanging on by a shoestring... ;)

I will once again remind everyone that DirecTV pulled this same stunt in 1999. An emergency motion was filed, and DirecTV was smacked down. It is the same emergency motioni that was filed by the plaintiffs today, to have an immediate ruling tomorrow.

Another bonus of this is that it'll help keep NPS alive for C-Band subscribers because NPS is only one of 2 programming providers (and one is owned by E*) left for those guys.

Not to mention the fact the C-band business in general was dying off pretty fast once DBS hit the sceen. Those analog C-band x-ponders are PRETTY costly & with the oncoming restrictions being enforced against PT24, if you DON'T have paying customers for these channels, it's pretty hard to pay for rising x-ponder costs.
NPS actually retransmits a few channels in Analog on C Band that went digital just for those folks who never went digital, or for those digital signals where they are not available on consumer equipment.

NPS is a great company for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts