Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

We do not know that at all. It may be perfactly legal for them to give - or even sell their database to NPS - or anyone else. We just do not know. We do know Dish cannot charge for, qualify for and provide Distants. We are all only speculating just how much it matters the assocition now between the two companies, and if using Dish equipment violates the court order.

You better re-read what it said in the announcement of the "lease".

Does anyone really care if Dish gave NPS their info? I couldn't care less, I've already given them my phone #, address, and smart card # today. I'll give them all the info they want if it'll speed up me getting distants back. What are they going to with my info, call me and try to convert me to C-Band?

You better re-read what it said in the announcement of the "lease".

Yes, I did. Doesn't change anything. There is no secret NPS wants to sell distant programming. No one is hiding that. That is not the same as Dish selling the distants themselves or using some shell company.

I don't think any of us are denying there is risk here - it has been said in many posts. You never know how a Judge will rule. But on the face of it, it sounds like a solution. Remember, Dish is still being punished in this - may have already lost some subscribers, and will lose some more. They will no longer profit from selling distants, and new customers will be told Dish does not have network programming for any new subscribers not covered by LIL.

Anyone having Trouble with the DNS coming on?

One of my Receivers DNS channels don't want to come on they have tryed 3 times now.

My 322 went on right away but they can't seem to get my 625 Receiver on ..

They have taken my numbers but they can't get it to come on.

Anyone else having this problem.

Wonder how this issue can be solved?

The unbelievable thing is

it is easier to get Xanax, Percodan, Vicodin, Valium ect. over the internet than it is to get television out of your DMA

I qualified with my address w/E* but do not qualify with the same address w/NPS

I guess I will just pop a couple blues, a red & one of the big round white ones and deal with it tomorrow

Have a great weekend everyone

Jordan

The unbelievable thing is

it is easier to get Xanax, Percodan, Vicodin, Valium ect. over the internet than it is to get television out of your DMA

I qualified with my address w/E* but do not qualify with the same address w/NPS

I guess I will just pop a couple blues, a red & one of the big round white ones and deal with it tomorrow

Have a great weekend everyone

Jordan

Damn, so true.

Thanks for the laugh! :)

It is really amusing to watch history repeat itself. The same folks who tenaciously clung to fantasy after fantasy (there won't be an injunction...the settlement trumps the injunction...Congress will act to prevent loss of DNS...Elton John is straight as an arrow) have now created another alternative reality to soothe their damaged psyches. Greg B. (and I, I must say) called it last time and are calling it again. The is a transparent attempt to end run the injunction. Now there may be some here that can't see that but you can bet that Judge D. will. I expect him to act quickly because if he doesn't the plaintiffs are going to be in Atlanta and the gang at the 11th Circuit are going to be pissed. Many of Charlie's supporters recognize this as a sham...commenting on how "clever" he is. Perhaps now the marshals will take Charlie away in chains to reflect on his contempt. I wonder if his roommate can play "Dueling Banjos." "Charlie, why don't you take off that itty-bitty shirt. Them panties too."....

Many of Charlie's supporters recognize this as a sham...commenting on how "clever" he is. Perhaps now the marshals will take Charlie away in chains to reflect on his contempt. I wonder if his roommate can play "Dueling Banjos." "Charlie, why don't you take off that itty-bitty shirt. Them panties too."....

Man this is too funny, I swear this is better than watching tv.

Does anyone really care if Dish gave NPS their info? I couldn't care less, I've already given them my phone #, address, and smart card # today. I'll give them all the info they want if it'll speed up me getting distants back. What are they going to with my info, call me and try to convert me to C-Band?

You might not care but the courts will. Dish is helping NPS provide locals to the customers by giving info and leasing space to them. It was the intent to provide networks and profit from it, no matter how it is looked at. I am hoping that Dish and NPS will be able to do this but its a loophole and an act of congress can change this. They may look at it a different way as well, that it is NPS selling it, not Dish Network, and that people should have a choice of who they get that programming from as long as they obey the law getting it legally then why should they care?

DSN Channels still on

It's 1:22am 12/2, CST, and my DSN channels from LA are still on. I'm in Arkansas, half way between Little Rock and Ft. Smith. I get my locals from Little Rock.

Looking for clarification, has anyone been able to sub ALL the boxes on their account for $9 with NPS and actually has it working on all their boxes?

If so, did you give NPS just 1 card number? Or the multiple card numberS. Or did you give them 1 Card and 1 Receiver number or did you have to give them all cards and receiver numbers?

I am curious about the distinction.

The first time I called when I ordered Friday Morg. with them they never took any box numbers and I said don't you want my box numbers they said they didn't need them ..

Only one of my receivers the 322 came on in a few minutes while I was talking to her ..

The 2nd receiver Dvr 625 won't come on they tried 3 times on friday I even pushed for them to take the numbers so they finally took that number and it still won't come on ..

I don't think they know what to do and neither do I now ..

Looking for clarification, has anyone been able to sub ALL the boxes on their account for $9 with NPS and actually has it working on all their boxes?

If so, did you give NPS just 1 card number? Or the multiple card numberS. Or did you give them 1 Card and 1 Receiver number or did you have to give them all cards and receiver numbers?

I am curious about the distinction.

Hi HDTV

They never ask me that only gave them my number and qualify. Took about half and hour fall all of my boxes! But the San Fransisco look horrible!

I signed up via the web site early yesterday morning and at lunch time, the stations were not yet activated. When I got home after 4:00 p.m. both 508's had the new DNS. And yes the San Fran. stations PQ is worse than the Atlanta stations. Fox S.F. is by far the worst. Programs look out of focus. Also had problem with the ABC Atlanta losing signal and voice/video out of sync. But that appears to have gotten better since last night.

Many here are saying that if they have Dish LiLs they're being turned down by NPS. Has anyone that had Dish LiLs as of yesterday cancelled them and then tried to qualify with NPS.

What is not clear here is if NPS is just using a "snapshot" of Dish's database or if they have access to it dynamically. In other words if changes are made at Dish's end, do they still show up in what NPS sees.

I went to their website on Friday morning, and they said I qualified and took my credit card information and nothing else. E-mail said card was billed $0.00. That was a bad sign. As of 9:37 AM EST 12-02-06, nothing. I know if I call they will tell me I'm SOL. In time, I'm sure they will accept an RV waiver, which I have, but before that happens, the judge will probably have shut this down anyway.

Last edited:
Many here are saying that if they have Dish LiLs they're being turned down by NPS. Has anyone that had Dish LiLs as of yesterday cancelled them and then tried to qualify with NPS.
Out of curiousity, I put in my location as well as an address near work, and both were rejected. I have never sub'd to our DMA's L-i-L (South Bend / Elkhart IN) from Dish. Which is what I expected, even though I wouldn't mind getting ABC since our "local" channel is a LP transmitter.

NPA may be using their normal process for the first pass at validating an address instead of Dish's database. Of course, their system may have been overloaded yesterday, too.

THey never asked for my bocx or card numbers and pinged the boxes and all 4 of my antiques came to life

If they didn't ask for your card number then they must be using E*'s database. I would think that when you are excepted by NPS that E* then activates the NPS DNS channels to your receiver. But no that can't be right E* isn't in concert with NPS. :) Wonder why at first NPS wanted your receiver card number but now they don't? Guess they decided it was better (for what ever reason) to get the number from E*.

RE: Distant "Locals"

I'm 100 miles away from Seattle. An antenna (20') on the roof that picks up beautiful analog snow for the Seattle stations. That didn't prevent DISH from adding them recently, free of course. I called DISH last night and asked that they be removed--they're not showing up on your bill--they're there take them off. They're still there. So, I guess you can't have them removed until Jan. 1st...like it or not.

Didn't have much luck yesterday with MyDistantNetworks. Initially, step 1, click, you're not qualified. Then the email routine asking for the smart card #s. When I tried emailing the requested info it kept bouncing back--after trying about 20 times and changing supprt to support and mydistannets to mydistantnetworks, I gave up. Eventually I got an email that didn't bounce back, so I'm assuming it went through.

It was my understanding that they weren't going to use info from DISH to qualify "us". Since they don't offer "local" channels per-se I thought their guide was going to be your distance away from a metro area...the Grade B signal, or white area criteria.

So, it appears that at least some of you have had more success than myself. I am disappointed to hear that the picture quality is not that good. I'm also a little disappointed that they don't offer the HD signals. I also think that the current laws totally suck. It is no longer the 50s. Affiliates aren't connected by extension cords like they use to be. If a consumer wants to subscribe to a channel and DISH has access to it then it should be OK--isn't that the American Way. Affiliates are no longer needed to deliver "network" programming--its called progress.

I hope we all get our programming back,...the sooner the better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)