Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

Thanks for the info CeeCee. What channel numbers did you punch in? I still get nothing when entering 5735. Using DISH 500 with 508 DVR. vasto

Well i was denied by NPS for distant networks although i live in a white area with no LiL or anything.

NPS said i am not in their system.
So logically, i asked what do i have to do to qualify.

answer: nothing you can't

So i asked why is it i am in a white area,,,legal to receive DNS and am not in their puter. And why would i be in their puter to begin with.

answer: Dish network gave them the peopl eligible.

So i asked if i needed to contact Dish to get into NPS system.

answer: yes

So i called Dish, they said i am a lunatic and they have nothing to do with any such company andhave no idea what i am talking about in reference to some company known as NPS.

So i called NPS back.

Same guy. i tell him Dish told me they have nothing to do with NPS. How do i prove i am legally able to receive DNS from your company?

answer: we have no way to qualify you. Only if you are already in our computer can we help you.

and after some running around in circles on my part, i was basically told you are sheet out of luck.

I have no idea what they are doing, but this is ridiculous. They very few of us that ARE LEGALLY able to receive DNS are once again being denied..?

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on?

Your only hope is to apply on the allamerican web site. Once denied they will send you an e-mail asking for your smart card numbers for your receivers. They will supposedly get back to you in 7-10 days.

Your only hope is to apply on the allamerican web site. Once denied they will send you an e-mail asking for your smart card numbers for your receivers. They will supposedly get back to you in 7-10 days.

Yes thank you. Thats what i did now. Their email was blocked by my spam filter so i didnt see it originally. I have the haunting premonition though that i will once again be run in circles.

Also, Did anyone else not receive any notification whatsoever(email,phone,mail) from Dish telling you that you would be losing DNS?

I must say... If directv calls me and say they will cover my $225 contract buyout with Dish, i will switch in a heartbeat. Dish's customer service has been absolutely horrible.

I received an email survey to complete. That was my only official notification that my DNS was disappearing.

Although I do not qualify for DNS, I would like to see the ability for some USA company to be able to provide DNS to those people who truely qualify and who have equipment compatible with the Dish Network system. I also hope that one day the television broadcasting industry will skip the last 25 years and catch up with the rest of the 21st century so that the FCC could allow people to watch news from various cities in the country.

Regardless if Dish Network is "in concert with", or has a "legitimate arm's length business deal" with NPS, it looks pretty obvious that NPS can not just provide service to anyone who calls in unless that person currently has a working receiver with current software, authorizations, etc..., which would require a Dish Network account.

That said...

Why qualify a person who can not receive the signal? Such as a person without a Dish Network account.
Dish Network uses account numbers, but they also tie that account number to a phone number. If you don't keep your phone number updated, or you use a different number, then they will not be able to validate that you have an account or even be able to receive service from them (NPS).

How critical is this phone number? Well, awhile back Dish (or some CSR's) would not allow you to use the same phone number on two separate accounts. When you call Dish, do they ask you for your "account number" or your "phone number"? They only ask for your phone number. In fact, Dish even has trouble looking up addresses.

Anyway, be patient with NPS. Remember, they are just starting up with this service, and their CSR's may not be as experienced in such matters as the CSR's at Dish.:D

EDIT: While typing this, I see there are a couple of new posts that proves the above - they did not keep their "ACCOUNT PHONE NUMBER updated.
:confused: :eureka

Last edited:
Although I do not qualify for DNS, I would like to see the ability for some USA company to be able to provide DNS to those people who truely qualify and who have equipment compatible with the Dish Network system. I also hope that one day the television broadcasting industry will skip the last 25 years and catch up with the rest of the 21st century so that the FCC could allow people to watch news from various cities in the country.

EDIT: While typing this, I see there are a couple of new posts that proves the above - they did not keep their "ACCOUNT PHONE NUMBER updated.
:confused: :eureka

I couldnt agree with you more about everyone being able to get wtvr station they desire. I think they should just make you get your locals if available and then you can pay extra for more network stations if so desired.

But i do have an fully up to date phone number,address and such since i just got Dish network like 3 months ago now. I am rather astounded i wouldnt make 'the list' with NPS. Hopefully they will come through in the end. Or, something... anything.... working on getting online pipeline stuff.
Anyone have a link to a thread in here (i couldnt find one) for getting network shows direct or taped via torrent or something.?

Hummmm, I wonder if Dish dumped the telephone account list before you became a subscriber.

Anyway, good luck and maybe things will get caught up next week.

DIsh network has my old number. It is the number that I use when I call E* and get account info. It is the same number that they failed to give to NPS. Well actually they did not fail to as they did not turn over account info of the DNS subs who receive lil.

Her is an example if my number that I set up my e* star accout is 912-555-1234 that is the number e* uses to look up my account. I later get a new number 912-555-4321. I never give e* the new number. E* has no idea that I changed numbers. I call e* today if I give them my new number they can not find my account. If I give them my old number they pull the account. The bottomline is as long as I give them (NPS) the same number that E* has on file then they should be abel to pull up my account except for one thing E* never gave it to them.

If you live in an area that E* provided you DNS and LiL and you received LiL from E* then you will NOT be able to get DNS from NPS. It sucks. I think it is wrong but the folks at echostar say that we can get the dns from nps because we recvd LiL.

According to SHVERA if we recvd both DNS and LiL befor 12/8/2004 then we should be able to get them. WHy they do not get this I just do not know.

According to SHVERA if we recvd both DNS and LiL befor 12/8/2004 then we should be able to get them. WHy they do not get this I just do not know.
I'm not up to date on it, but I thought someone said, you are not grandfathered when you leave/switch companies/service. And NPS is not Dish, ask Charlie.

The fact that Charlie decided to only deliver DNS to current Dish subs instead of allowing anyone who qualified through the NPS qualifications will no doubt be his undoing once again.

Once again Charlie thought he could pull a fast one but this one is so obvious a blind man can see it.

I wonder if the Judge has the ability to pull the DNS service from DNS for their C Band customers as a result of them trying to pull a fraud on the court.

5731 - fairly clear picture / good surround sound
5732 - fairly clear / muted sound - almost like mono
5733 - double images / good sound
5734 - double images / muted sound - almost like mono
5735 - fairly clear / good surround sound
5736 - double images & fuzzy / muted sound - almost like mono
5737 - clear / good surround sound
5738 - fuzzy w/ horizontal line / muted sound - almost like mono

I e-mailed them about the quality today 12/2/06 and have not had a response yet - I will post when I get it.

Hopefully in the future anyone that qualifies will be able to get DNS. But I suspect they are not able to handle all the current legitimate customers this weekend.

Plus - NPS is probably testing the legal waters.:D After-all, they did send a letter to the plaintiffs.:D

I'm not up to date on it, but I thought someone said, you are not grandfathered when you leave/switch companies/service. And NPS is not Dish, ask Charlie.

That would be true if NPS offered LiL. A sub in a true white area can receive DNS signals from any satellite company that does not offer the LiL signals. If NPS and E* are the one and the same and/or are working together in this endevour then I should be able to recv my DNS and LiL because I recvd them before the december date. If they are separate and not working together then I should be able to recve DNS from NPS because they do not offer LiL signals anywhere in the country. ALso keep in mind that I have called NPS' c-band customer service to inquire about DNS for a c-band system and I qualified to recv DNS on c-band.

Well... Maybe it will all work out in the next few days.:)

That is what I am hopeing for but I wont hold my breath. With my luck NPS will let me get the DNS then the court will slap them down. I did respond to the email that they sent me so now it is just a wait and see. them the

First about grandfathering - once you no longer received distants from Dish (for whatever reason - your choice or their court order) you are no longer grandfathered - it cannot be transfered. You must live in a white area for each network - or get a waiver - or use the RV exemption to get distants with another provider.

I have a theory why Dish is not allowing most of those who get or can get locals to get distants thru NPS.
One interpretation of the law can be: You may not receive distants if your distants provider is able to give you locals.
But another interpretation can be: You may not receive distants if your provider is able to give you locals.

Even though Dish is separate from NPS, they may be taking the broadest possible interpretation, by saying they cannot allow distants on their box, as your provider, if you are receiving locals, even if an outside source is providing the distants.
I think if that is the case, it will help them in court to allow what they are doing. I have to believe they talked about that and decided it was more risky to allow distants with locals, than to just allow distants if no locals were available.

I do not see that as working "in concert", but rather making a decision what they will allow on their equipment. In fact NPS could well say they want to give more people distants, and Dish won't let them. Again, that would certainly not be working in "concert."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts