deals for existing customers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freshley

Original poster
May 27, 2009
lebanon, pa
I've been with Directv for 9 years and have always bought my own equipment and installed it myself. Now I'm looking to upgrade to HD so I need a new reciever and dish. I am willing to sign a 2 year commit. but they won't give me crap for a deal. They want me to pay $99 for a HD dvr that I'll be leasing from them and then pay full price for the rest of the package. New customers get a 12 mo. discount ($21 off/mo) plus all equip. is free. Anyone know what can be done here? I've called twice and my wife has called once and they say they aren't able to give exist. customers as good of a deal and they have no way of puting it in their computers.
I gave up and told them to disconnect me, I'm going to dish.
I hate switching after all these years but they don't seem to care.

You're only a virgin once.

Half off the regular lease entry price seems to be the best deal around for existing DIRECTV customers looking to upgrade to HD. There were better deals available in the past, but not anymore.

Don't be fooled or disheartened by those who have upgraded their outdated HD equipment for free. You really are being offered their best deal.

You're only a virgin once.

Half off the regular lease entry price seems to be the best deal around for existing DIRECTV customers looking to upgrade to HD. There were better deals available in the past, but not anymore.

Don't be fooled or disheartened by those who have upgraded their outdated HD equipment for free. You really are being offered their best deal.
Actually, unless I've been misinformed, you can be a virgin more than once. I last had DirecTV nine years ago. Planning on subscribing again in about a month. I have been told that I qualify as a "new" customer.

My problem is that right now, when I subscribe, I can get a HD DVR for free. But right now I don't have a HD TV. But I don't have a HD TV right now. I currently have my TV hooked up to a HD DVR cable box, set to deliver a signal in SD (the HD channels look better even in SD). My understanding is that I can't have an HD box from DirecTV unless I have a HD TV. So if I get an HD TV later this year and want to upgrade, I'm going to have to shell out the bucks, because all I'm going to be able to get right now are SD boxes. Frustrating.

BTW, don't give me the advice that I should just run out and get a HD TV. I've got a wedding in a month and no extra money. :eek:

Hate to say it, but switch to Dish if they will not give you any deals to stay.

You might have to threaten cancellation, or actually go ahead and cancel service for a day before they will give you any of the good deals. There are times when the winback offers can be better than the new customer offers.

I had the same thing I called Last week and ended up canceling because I have never gotten a deal with them and I really want a HD DVR for free. They offered me 10 off a month and 100 for the DVR. So because I would be upgrading my package to HD that is a additional 10 a month. They told me to call back after June 10th and they might offer me a better deal. The thing about switching to the Dish Network is a 2 yr commitment not sure if I want that or not

Actually, unless I've been misinformed, you can be a virgin more than once.

OMG, it's a miracle! Actually, I'm a 2-time virgin myself. I was cleansed by the All-Mighty Comcast to once more go forth as made-over virgin. I promptly lost my status 2 months ago when I sold out for HD DVR glory.;)

The thing about switching to the Dish Network is a 2 yr commitment not sure if I want that or not

Well, you get that either way. The thing you got to ask yourself is whether you want to learn all the new channel numbers. While I haven't price compared, from the Dish ads I've seen, it looks cheaper during the mating period.

I suspect from what I read, that Dish will be taken over by DTV in the near future.

I suspect from what I read, that Dish will be taken over by DTV in the near future.

What are you reading? I don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Charlie tried to take over D* (if my memory serves) and was blocked from doing so. And if that happens, that would be a disaster for satellite customers IMO.

Directv lost their chance

I canceled directv and they didn't bat an eye. Said that $100 for the dvr and $10 off for 6 months is the best they could do. I switched to Dish and everything is free, get more channels, and even after the promo period it will be less.
Directv will not be allowed to take over dish network. The FCC will not allow it as it is the original argreement when they opened the DBS network.
What really got me was the CSR telling me lie after lie about dish network and why I shouldn't switch. They even went so far as to say they have a good relationship with tivo and even pay royalties for their current generation dvrs. This is just a plain lie as they cut all ties with tivo to make their own boxes (which suck) and only recently decided to partner with them again. Those boxes won't be out until 2010 and they will charge an extra fee to use them!

She also tried to give me the you are a virgin once story and that I got all my discounts when I first signed up. Hate to tell them that back in 1999 I got no special discounts. I bought my own equipment and even installed it myself.
You watch, they will probably call me with a great deal in like a week. I gave them many chances. If I have to sign up for a 2 year commit. with either company, I'm going with the one that gives me the lowest price.

ID RATHER HAVE THE TV!!!! :neener
It's my son getting married (yeah, I know the father of the BRIDE is supposed to pay for most of it, but we're splitting it.) It's getting the last kid out of the house that makes getting a dish a possibility again, not to mention some other benefits. By "getting rid" of him and at least some of his expenses (he's still in college) I should be able to afford the tv in a few months. :D Actually, I might borrow his father-in-laws tv on the day of the install, just so they can install the HD DVR to a HD TV.

They even went so far as to say they have a good relationship with tivo and even pay royalties for their current generation dvrs. This is just a plain lie as they cut all ties with tivo to make their own boxes (which suck) and only recently decided to partner with them again.
There's nothing inaccurate about what you've related. DIRECTV recently updated their agreement with TiVo and extended their non-litigation agreement for another few years.

I canceled directv and they didn't bat an eye. Said that $100 for the dvr and $10 off for 6 months is the best they could do. I switched to Dish and everything is free, get more channels, and even after the promo period it will be less.
Directv will not be allowed to take over dish network. The FCC will not allow it as it is the original argreement when they opened the DBS network.
What really got me was the CSR telling me lie after lie about dish network and why I shouldn't switch. They even went so far as to say they have a good relationship with tivo and even pay royalties for their current generation dvrs. This is just a plain lie as they cut all ties with tivo to make their own boxes (which suck) and only recently decided to partner with them again. Those boxes won't be out until 2010 and they will charge an extra fee to use them!

She also tried to give me the you are a virgin once story and that I got all my discounts when I first signed up. Hate to tell them that back in 1999 I got no special discounts. I bought my own equipment and even installed it myself.
You watch, they will probably call me with a great deal in like a week. I gave them many chances. If I have to sign up for a 2 year commit. with either company, I'm going with the one that gives me the lowest price.
Please post back in about 6 mo. and tell us how happy you are with the DISH nickel and diming of your account. After the 6 mo. promo ends lets see how happy you are with 18 months left on your contract.

Also if you read these forums you would know that TiVo is expected to put out a Directv receiver in early 2010 so you weren't being fed BS.

While I'm neutral on Dish and DTV getting together, I wouldn't rule it out. They said the same thing about XM and Sirius and now they're one company.

Maybe im wrong but from what i understand is that as long as your account is in good standing and you have at least the choice package, the unofficial policy is to give current customers one free upgrade every 6 months. for example, you can upgrade your standard box to an HD box or an HD box to an HD DVR. moving from SD box to HD DVR will cost $99. also with any upgrade you get signed into a new 2yr contract.

For the last couple of years I have been getting D* to give me the new customer offers when I have asked. Particularly the Sunday Ticket deals. I just tell them that "AT&T U-Verse just became available in my area and they are knocking on my door every night because they see my D* dish in the front yard, and I have AT&T for Phone and Internet, so they really want me badly. They are offering me 3 months of free service, 2 HDDVR's and are willing to pay up to $250 to cancel my D* contract. If you can't give me (insert what your asking for here), then I am going to take the offer". I have only had it once out of 5 times where the Customer Rep said sorry, I can't give you what your asking for. So I hung up and called back 10 minutes later and got a different rep who could. I think that was when I was asking for an HDDVR upgrade for free. By using that line I have gotten two HDDVR upgrades, and the Sunday Ticket new customer offer twice.

Make sure when you call the D* phone number you say: "cancel service" at the automated teleprompter prompt when it asks "why are you calling today"? Some folks do the whole deal of canceling the service and putting it their wife or kids' name, but I hate to do that because I have been with D* 6 years now, and don't want to lose that leverage with them when I negotiate things.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)