DECA Replace Ethernet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
I have whole home Ethernet and DECA. Can DECA be used to replace Ethernet? I mean did DTV create something that could be used for other purposes? RG6 as opposed to Cat5/6?

I have whole home Ethernet and DECA. Can DECA be used to replace Ethernet? I mean did DTV create something that could be used for other purposes? RG6 as opposed to Cat5/6?

They told me I had to use RG6 when my system was installed last month, I have ethernet behind my TV, and instead they ran another RG6 line to the ethernet switch in my garage... makes no sense.. but was told It "has to be that way"

DECA is the only system which Directv will support, but you can still get WHDVR activated on your account if you have all ethernet connections. You are on your own to get it working and resolve any problems, however. It is possible to route other network traffic over the coax DECA network (with DECA adapters to convert to ethernet) but the MRV performance may suffer if there is much other traffic.

Guess I wasn't clear. I read somewhere an installer hooked up a customer's Blu-Ray Player to the Internet using the DECA connection to his HRXX DVR. I am wondering if DECA devices can be used to set up an RG6 home network instead of using Cat5/6 cable. Many newer homes have RG-6 TV drops in living areas and bedrooms. Would make setting up a wired network easier for many.

Guess I wasn't clear. I read somewhere an installer hooked up a customer's Blu-Ray Player to the Internet using the DECA connection to his HRXX DVR. I am wondering if DECA devices can be used to set up an RG6 home network instead of using Cat5/6 cable. Many newer homes have RG-6 TV drops in living areas and bedrooms. Would make setting up a wired network easier for many.

Sure you could create a stand alone network with DECA devices. They aren't cheap though.

If you are trying to add other network devices to DirecTV's MRV network you will start seeing performance issues. The whole point (besides cabling ease) of having a standalone network for MRV is to make MRV the only network traffic. Add other devices and that changes...

Sure you could create a stand alone network with DECA devices. They aren't cheap though.

If you are trying to add other network devices to DirecTV's MRV network you will start seeing performance issues. The whole point (besides cabling ease) of having a standalone network for MRV is to make MRV the only network traffic. Add other devices and that changes...

Good point. That's why I wanted to keep DECA separate from my network as I thought it might affect its performance.

Still, DECA might be a palatable alternative to WiFi or Powerline networks. I like it that an installer was able to get a customer's BD player online via DECA. It seems this would also allow Internet connectivity for device with Netflix streaming built-in too.

I wonder if one could drop a Ethernet switch inline between the DECA and several devices to share the line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts