December 18th Dish Retailer Chat Recap

That's why 'a la carte' won't work and if forced, will not be the great option people think it will be. Currently, a network can base their price to a carrier based on the number of subscribers and "discount" the price. With 'a la carte', the initial price will be rather high.

Except NOT having Ala carte doesn't seem to stop everyone from YEARLY PRICE increases! I paid $69.99+ $4.99 for locals=$74.98 back in 99 for AEP and now it is $94.99 soon to be $97.99 BEFORE locals are added so $102.99 for the same pack +locals on February 1st 2009. So that is $28.01 cent increase in 10 years. So you think you can save money by decreasing your programming to a lower pack. NO WAY ! THey now will jack the lower packs up 8.00 in ONE YEAR for Dvr advantage top 200-classic silver.

I am sorry but what ya'll are missing is that we have had a price increase every year since the late 90s and it's not going to stop. You are being blackmailed with this mantra that if you go to ala carte that you are going to pay more for fewer channels. Well lets see the average person only watches about 15 -20 channels out of any of their programming packs . So if that is true , those same 20 channels keep going up and going up every damn year. This is a joke !

Do we really need a seperate 24 hour channel for golf, tennis, game shows,soaps, E-entertainment reruns,Various espn channels that cost the highest in the industry every year,mtv 1/mtv2/vh1 vh1classics/gac/cmt ? I could go on and on. You used to have only 3 networks for years in this country and you could watch all the individual stuff you watch now on 25 different channels , all on those three networks. They showed a variety of programming that appealed to everyone.

I agree with the other poster that said ala carte would make the remaining networks compete for your money by IMPROVING their programming to appeal to wider groups of people. This would mean better picture quality on the satellite due to the vacation of many miscellaneous niche channels that would no longer exist. I think that if enough people would keep cutting down their programming and extra receivers that many a satellite and cable company would have to change the way they do business to survive.

Which leads me to my real question here. How can DISH afford to go up $8.00- $10.00 a month on regular programming packs in times of the biggest economic recession since the Great depression? I mean we are not even seeing a price increase of that much on the premiums,so how can they charge $8.00 more for a basic programming pack like the silver classic (TOP 200)dvr advantage pack. What exactly are we getting for our $8.00 increase? I haven't seen any new hd channels since the spring -other than the split of the existing vs/golf channel. So are we supposed to believe that we are going to get a slew of hd channels in return for our $8.00 increase? IF not then someone at DISH doesn't know how to negoiate contracts.

Last edited:
Except NOT having Ala carte doesn't seem to stop everyone from YEARLY PRICE increases! I paid $69.99+ $4.99 for locals=$74.98 back in 99 for AEP and now it is $94.99 soon to be $97.99 BEFORE locals are added so $102.99 for the same pack +locals on February 1st 2009. So that is $28.01 cent increase in 10.00 years...

And they haven't added any channels in that 10 years either! :rolleyes:
And the cost of paying employees and running the business hasn't gone up in the the last 10 years either! :rolleyes:
And the amount of money the channels charge Dish hasn't gone up in the last 10 years either! :rolleyes:

"Turbo HD Bronze is going up $5 a month"

One month after I sign up for their deal, I will now be charged an extra $60 per year? Wow, way to win over a new customer Dish.

"Unless legislatively mandated (NEVER HAPPEN), a la carte will never happen"

The internet will fix that. It's already happening. The networks are going to have to change their game plan soon as they can't count on the strong-armed Cable and Satellite industries to keep them going as we go forward.

Hope dish has something up there sleve. Everyone knows that each year there will be a 3 or 4 dollar increase. But up to 8 or 10 dollars, for anyone that was thinking about switching to the dish in the upcoming year they have stopped that momentum.

Now As a Directv Subscriber....DTV what do you have up your sleave for the upcoming price increase, the norm or some crazy increase like Dish?

I urge all of you to drop SAT/Cable at the end of February. Send em a message.
I've already started:D

Buy/Rent DVD's. Download content and put the $'s you pay to your ISP to some use.
Enjoy OTA.

I've been doing this for a week and I don't miss forced programming one bit.

I think bad timing to raise prices now because of poor economy,look out for more charge backs, some people may not have a job and can,t pay.so who gets stuck dealers that are working hard just to survive.why don,t they just leave thing alone and see how next year plays out and help keep what customers they have now.

"Turbo HD Bronze is going up $5 a month"

One month after I sign up for their deal, I will now be charged an extra $60 per year? Wow, way to win over a new customer Dish.

"Unless legislatively mandated (NEVER HAPPEN), a la carte will never happen"

The internet will fix that. It's already happening. The networks are going to have to change their game plan soon as they can't count on the strong-armed Cable and Satellite industries to keep them going as we go forward.

The internet will change many things and we may end up getting our content that way eventually. That is the best way to go ala carte if you have broadband as you can get content on demand online.

For those of you good at math, please tell me the total costs (less taxes) of these two packages after the price increases:

#1) Two (2) Vip 722 HD DVR receivers (connected by phone line and ethernet)
DishDVR Advantage
+ AT250
+ GoldHD

#2) Two (2) Vip 722 HD DVR receivers (connected by phone line and ethernet)
AT250 (NO locals)
+ GoldHD

For those of you good at math, please tell me the total costs (less taxes) of these two packages after the price increases:

#1) Two (2) Vip 722 HD DVR receivers (connected by phone line and ethernet)
DishDVR Advantage
+ AT250
+ GoldHD

#2) Two (2) Vip 722 HD DVR receivers (connected by phone line and ethernet)
AT250 (NO locals)
+ GoldHD

#1) DishDVR Advantage $57.99
2nd 722 DVR $12.00
AT250 $10.00
Gold HD $10.00
Total $89.99

#2 AT250 $57.99
2nd 722 7.00
DVR fee $5.98 x 2 =$11.96
Gold HD $10.00
Total $86.95

Ala-cart was why I and many other C band Dish owners stayed with the big ugly dishes for as long as we did. That being said, I don't think you will see it as it isn't much available on c band any more. Also their packages increased substantially in the past few years. I left for E* more to get HD, DVR and multi room viewing as much as anything. Costs though are becoming a factor and come February they should have Comedy central and MSNBC in HD and I will drop the AT250 and go with the top HD packs. There is just Sooo many channels we never watch and have to have a higher package just to get 1 or 2 channels you do want.

More and more people are waking up...

Amazon.com: Anyone else dislike the direction TV has taken? - tv series Discussion Forum

Read the death of Saturday morning childrens programming too.

I think the Sat and Cable companies are using the economy as there strategy to justify big jumps. We have heard them say "Well now people are staying at home, with the TV as there entertainment"

I dont think that means....Jack up increases to hi levels, since people are staying home.

#1) DishDVR Advantage $57.99
2nd 722 DVR $12.00
AT250 $10.00
Gold HD $10.00
Total $89.99

#2 AT250 $57.99
2nd 722 7.00
DVR fee $5.98 x 2 =$11.96
Gold HD $10.00
Total $86.95

Wow I have a comparable package to package one with Directv

Around 15.00 more then my directv package

I know Direct still has to disclose there increase. Is dish moving away from the "value" concept

Question about DVR Advantage

I'm typically a lurker on this board , preferring to read rather than post. But these new price listings have me confused.

My family subscribes to the AT 200 with locals and a 510 DVR and a 3700. We currently are paying about $55 for the DVR Advantage. I was trying to figure our increase after the price changes, as well as trying to see what "advantages" remain with the DVR Advantage. I can't tell from what's listed. Would it be cheaper to NOT have it after the increases?

LER deleted the offending post as spam. Perhaps you could kill the quote as well, so the guy doesn't get the free ad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts