December 18th Dish Retailer Chat Recap

I just placed my order tonight before I found this site. Comcast just made me sick enough with customer service and rate increases that I was going to pull the plug. The way I see all of this, I will still be getting more for the same or slightly less per month. But can someone help me with what my rates will actually be?!?!?

I ordered the DDA 200, Silver HD, a 612 and a 722. When I do this on the web page, it looks like this will cost $73/mo (after the promotions for Platinum, HBO and Starz are cancelled.) But it shows COMPLETELY different "packages" from what I can follow here. It shows $40.30 for Top 200, $5 for locals, $10 for Silver HD, $4.60 for DVR, 5.98 for DVR and $7 for HD enabling.

I see that I should be on the DDA200 for $57.99 and I should have the $12 DVR and $10 for the SilverHD, but will I also have another $12 for the second DVR?!?!? If it's $80, we're still less than cable and now I have HD and a DVR on my second set. If it's $92, it's more than cable but I now have HD and DVR on my second set...

I'm so confused. I've been staring at this stuff for 2 days deciding between Dish and Direct. My wife is pretty much laughing at me at this point. I just want to know if I need to call and try to cancel this mess or not.

You won't have the HD enabling fee cause you subscribe to actual HD. The fee is for folks that have an HD box and don't sub to HD. I don't know about the other fees.

EDIT: Additional receiver fee is the same as the HD enable fee I think.

EDIT II: Actually, I'm totally confused now! :eek:

Emailed "ceo" a few days back. I have been a Dish customer for over a year so I am currently not eligible for the TurboHD stuff. All I have is a 722. Anyway emailed "ceo" that I wanted to be on the "DDA TurboHD Gold" for $49.99. After a few emails to verify that is what I really wanted ... they changed it on the spot for me.

So ... it is possible to get TurboHD, even if you are an existing customer.

Each DVR gets a DVR fee of $5.99 and each additional receiver gets charged and additional outlet fee of $4.99-$5.99. If each additional receiver does not have a phone line connected to it then add another $4.99-$5.99. Adding a second DVR could cost you as much as $16-$18 more per month! OUCH! If you plug in the phone line then you can deduct $5-6 off of that. Is their additional outlet fee for the second tuner of the DVR the same as their rental fee which is the same thing basically as the additional outlet fee?

I just can't bloody believe all this.

It's been forever since I've darkened a DishNetwork area. I was considering jumping from D* come the first of the year, as a way to save a few bucks. But now, I see things are not only more expensive than D*, or soon will be, but so much more confusing as well. I see multiple, overlapping packages, fees on top of fees, my God, it seems like the cable pig has taken up residence over at Dish!

Maybe if we all did this.....for one week document EVERYTHING you watch. Just keep a diary, like the Nielsen households used to do. At the end of the week, go over it and determine what you really watch. I'm pretty sure that if I did that, I'd find a load of channels I'm paying for but not watching. At any rate, it would be interesting.

Oh, and it's great to be back on board here, even if the new from Dish was rather bad.

Now you know how some of us frustrated subscribers feel. I used to sell this stuff and I am still confused after the new and improved fees came into play (HD Enabling fees, MPEG-4 receivers having a $6 or $7 additional outlet fee instead of the $5 additional outlet fee that the MPEG-2 receivers have).

The good news is that they are about to waive the first receiver's additional outlet fees on the second tuner if it does not have a connection to the phone line if that makes you feel any better.

Maybe Dish Network will see what the majority of viewers watch and dump the channels that nobody watches (if the channels that are being watched aint owned by the same companies). Perhaps this would be a way to get our bills back down. If 97% of the people are not watching the dang channels yet we pay 20% of our bill towards those channels then it might be in their favor.

I see multiple, overlapping packages, fees on top of fees, my God, it seems like the cable pig has taken up residence over at Dish!
Hear hear. I recently swapped out a 625 for a 722, and left the 625 authorized but unplugged for a month or so. Guess what I just noticed on my bill? :mad:

Didn't Dish have a domain name called dontfeedthepig.com? Can't find it now, to nobody's surprise.

So, I was literally about to call dish and sign up my parents for TurboHD Bronze service, but I have to pull back now, after seeing that it will be increasing from $25/month to $30/ month (a 20% increase!!) Is there any sort of price lock if they signed up in January (before the February price increases), or would they basically pay $25 for January and $30/month after that?

Also, I heard about DirectTV having some sort of price lock until 2010...I may have to explore that, since my parents are on a limited income. Getting ANY kind of pay-TV is a jump for them (they've been using antenna since I was a kid!)

any help is appreciated, thanks!

So, I was literally about to call dish and sign up my parents for TurboHD Bronze service, but I have to pull back now, after seeing that it will be increasing from $25/month to $30/ month (a 20% increase!!) Is there any sort of price lock if they signed up in January (before the February price increases), or would they basically pay $25 for January and $30/month after that?

Also, I heard about DirectTV having some sort of price lock until 2010...I may have to explore that, since my parents are on a limited income. Getting ANY kind of pay-TV is a jump for them (they've been using antenna since I was a kid!)

any help is appreciated, thanks!

From what I understand, with Dish and the Turbo packages (or any of its packages in a while), your price is NOT locked. It goes up and down at Charlie's whim; and down is not actually an option.

you want to sell your house and move to a specific neighborhood for TV? WOW!

No, I want to move for a myriad of reasons, dumping DISH is just the one relevant to this discussion.

OK, I skimmed this whole thread and didn't see anyone address this. Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, because this should have set off an s-load of outrage. READ these slides carefully...

attachment.php

OK, so AT100 is going up $2, and AT200 is going up $3. Perfectly fair, normal, and expected. Now check out the DDA packages.
attachment.php

DDR "Bronze" is going up $5. Minus the $2 increase for the regular AT100 package, that's an increase of $3 just for locals and DVR fees. According to this...

attachment.php

...DVR fees are not going up. I don't think locals were mentioned. We'll assume they are also staying the same. Fine, whatever. It's still a savings.

But "Silver" DDR is seeing an EIGHT dollar increase. Minus the three dollar increase in the AT200, that's a FIVE dollar increase in Locals/DVR fees.

Why are the people with the more expensive package seeing a bigger increase in fees for the same thing?

Now that I've broken it down, I can see. AT200's were getting a bigger DISCOUNT before than AT100s. That will no longer be the case. It's actually MORE fair.

But that doesn't make it right. Trying to squeeze a few extra bucks from the customers who are already spending more is a dreadful way to run your business. You're supposed to reward your best customers, not punish them.

AMEN! My sentiments exactly!!!

Trying to charge more per sub on an ever decreasing supply of existing customers, seems to be the very definition of insanity. They are assuring that more people will leave DISH over the ever increasing fees & price increases. DVR advantage my ass! There is no more advantage . Not even a dollar ,only 98 cents.

THANKS FOR NOTHING CHARLIE!!

AMEN! My sentiments exactly!!!

Trying to charge more per sub on an ever decreasing supply of existing customers, seems to be the very definition of insanity. They are assuring that more people will leave DISH over the ever increasing fees & price increases. DVR advantage my ass! There is no more advantage . Not even a dollar ,only 98 cents.

THANKS FOR NOTHING CHARLIE!!

Geez, you're right! I thought it was a $1.99 savings.

I just did the math...even with the increases, Dish is $4.99 cheaper that DirecTV's current price for what I want. If I don't get MGM and HDNet Movies, it's $10 cheaper.

I guess I need to quit bitching until I move somewhere that has other options. FIOS would be just another $5 cheaper than DISH, but you get a LOT more for the money. Until then, I guess DISH is still my best option.

I just did the math...even with the increases, Dish is $4.99 cheaper that DirecTV's current price for what I want. If I don't get MGM and HDNet Movies, it's $10 cheaper.

I guess I need to quit bitching until I move somewhere that has other options. FIOS would be just another $5 cheaper than DISH, but you get a LOT more for the money. Until then, I guess DISH is still my best option.

Sadly, this is the predicament many of us find ourselves in.

They realized just how much cheaper they were and decided that they did not need to be THAT much cheaper and raised prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)