December 18th Dish Retailer Chat Recap

"I sometimes connect the DVR to the internet. Does it have to be connected all the time so they wont charge 5 dollars?"

Memo,

Yes, your receiver needs to be connected to the phone line or Internet to avoid that $5.00 fee. Beginning Feb. 1st you will not be charged that fee since you only have one receiver.

You will not see any change to your bill if you leave it the way it is. If you do switch to Turbo HD Silver and Dish Latino bonus pack, you will get charged $12.00 for the receiver + the Protection plan in addition to the $53.98 for the packages. You will save around $7.00 if you change your package.

Thanks for your reply. :D

I can't believe they charge for the receiver! That's too much. I thought I would have saved at least 10 dollars! I might think about Turbo HD bronze then. :/ I'll have to wait what channels it has.

My $50 DVR Advantage will go up $8.00/mo. The only thing that makes it bearable is that I've been frozen at that rate since 2007. So the increase works out to $4/mo/yr.

I will probably push to get one of the Turbo HD packages now, and drop the DHPP, to keep a our TV budget at livable level. There aren't too many "Classic" stations I watch now except for Speed and Comedy Central. If Dish brings them on-board next year, it's buh-bye to the SD package.

Oh, and Dish? Expect a call from Intel about the "Solo" and "Duo" designations on your new receiver names: You left out "Core". Or, you could always use the Starbucks naming model for programming and go with Tall, Grande, and Vente. Wouldn't you want to watch Turbo Vente HD on your Turbo Core Turbo Duo Turbo Espresso (w/Turbo Latte EHD Feature)?

:rolleyes: Please.

Turbo HD is going UP

Turbo HD Bronze is going up $5 a month
Turbo HD Silver is going up $7 a month
Turbo HD Gold i s going up $10 a month

There is NO CHANGE in the HD add on package which remains at $10 a month extra.

AT 100 going up $2
AT 200 going up $3
AT 250 going up $3
Americas Everything Pack going up $3

Just so I clearly understand...as someone who was thinking about moving to dish...If I go on the dish website and price out the 250 package and gold HD, I can also add about 13.00 a month to that?? I just want to make sure I am reading these posts right

If thats so, without knowing what the directv increase will be that kind of takes dish out of the whole "Value" concept??

I am astonished that the execs at both Dish and DirecTV can be so out of touch that they think that they will be able to raise prices and make them stick when the FED has just reduced interest to nearly 0 to ward off DEFLATION.

Sure lots of industries may try to raise prices for essentially the same product/service. And some may even succeed if their product/service is a necessity. But contrary to popular belief on this forum, satellite TV is a "nice to have" as compared to food, shelter, medical services, etc.

Talon Dancer

A voice of reason compared to someone who went by the name "DTVGal" on another forum a couple of years ago, whose sole mission was to justify DirecTV's latest round of price hikes. She seemed incensed that anyone dared question or object to the rate increase, since services such as health care increased on an annual basis as well. My response to her was similar, albeit a bit less cordial.

My current package is Dish Family and the Starz movie pack. Apparently no price hikes with either for the coming year, so I'll stay with satellite TV for awhile longer. Television isn't as important to me as it used to be, so I can't justify spending even $45.00 or more each month.

Dish is just implementing the "pop" business strategy of the past few years. When revenue drops, instead of lowering prices to sell more, raise them to sell less at a higher rate and hopefully with an increase in revenue. Just look at beer or Pepsi/Coke. U.S. gallon consumption has been falling for both for several years, so what has been the response from the vendor, keep raising the price to recapture that lost revenue.
And it works too... People say they'll leave Dish (or Directv or their cableco) only to discover that the others do the same thing, so they gain nothing in the end. It's funny when there's a Dish price increase posted here and a few bail out and go to Directv. Then what happens ? Directv announces a price increase too !! Hah :D

Pepsi/Coke or any similar product get away with the same tactic. People likely say "I'm gonna stop drinking 'x' or not drink as much", but they don't. They continue to drink the same and pay the higher cost.

I'm wondering if my charge is going up. I'm a pretty smart guy, but the new names and old names appear to change all the time for the express purpose of confusing someone into paying more than is required.

According to my bill, I have the 'Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pack with Locals'. I have no idea what my price increase, if any will be in February, but I'll call to adjust what I have if it goes up. I'm pretty much beyond the limit of what I am willing to pay for TV.

As far as renaming the receivers, changing names from a model number to these long descriptive names seems like another attempt at confusion. I wonder if they will make the receivers wider so they can actually fit their new, clever names on the front.:)

Personally, I believe that E* and others are banking on the report that more folks are staying at home with their entertainment dollars, opting for livingroom entertainment rather than a night on the town. If this is the case, I think the market guru's will be sorely disappointed.
Where Dish targeted its highest rate increases seems to support your thinking -- the TurboHD stand alone packages. Maybe Dish believes that their customers who own HDTVs are more likely to justify the increase by staying home more. Or simply have more disposable income for in home entertainment.

OTOH Dish is giving up a competitive advantage, by making it less attractive to DirecTV HDTV subs to switch while making NETFLIX and alternate video sources more attractive.

In any case, if in home entertainment becomes the hot ticket in 2009, you can bet that there will be lots of competition for Dish in quality, quantity and price. Bring it on!

Talon Dancer

After some serious thinking and some sleep I think Dish is ramping up the HD price and within 2 years we wont have an HD pack anymore. It will just be programming. They will have all the same channels in both packs and the classic and HD packs will merge into the Americas Top packages again.

People likely say "I'm gonna stop drinking 'x' or not drink as much", but they don't. They continue to drink the same and pay the higher cost.

Not this guy. I dumped all subscription TV around 4 years ago, and will likely never go back.

Not that we can't afford it, as we comfortably can. But I feel there is not enough value for the price being charged.

OTA HD, DVD rentals, and online streaming are quite sufficient for us.

Not this guy. I dumped all subscription TV around 4 years ago, and will likely never go back.

Not that we can't afford it, as we comfortably can. But I feel there is not enough value for the price being charged.

OTA HD, DVD rentals, and online streaming are quite sufficient for us.

Its hard to believe that after the nasty election arguments we've had, we are in complete agreement here!

Cable and Satellite tv are the next dinosaurs. I also precict the slow demise of HP and Microsoft soon too. People are sick of the same old crap.

Examining the slides, it looks like a move to the TurboHD package will be in order for 2009. If the CEO gods allow, I will move up to the TurboHD Gold DDA + Platinum and keep my current monthly outlay.

NASA and all the PSA channels are still included with the TurboHD packages, right? Although they don't show up on Dish's list of channels. And am I correct in reading that no RSN is included with the TurboHD? Foo...

The only way I see this being fixed is if a la carte programming is forced in by the FCC.

People keep blaming Dish, DIRECTV and Cable for these price increases, yes they are profitable companies (usually), but if you look at the profit per sub/year it is not where most of your bill goes.

Lets say Dish overall ends up making $500 million this year (profits in Dish losses in Echostar), 14 million subs is $35.71/year/sub or $2.98/month. DIRECTV is in the same neighborhood.

The problem is that each channel provider wants a price increase every year. Not only that but they want to force as many of their channels into the lowest possible tier, to get more subs.

A la carte would end all that. You would pay a base fee to your provider and then add on packages for each channel group you wanted. Those channel groups would be forced to compete on content and price as seen by the consumer. The channel providers would be free to raise their prices all they wanted, but their watchers would pay the price, not every sub to a system that may never tune in their channel.

I respect people like you who "put their money where their mouth is" and actually follow through ! Remember though, you're are in the minority of people who do.

Where Dish targeted its highest rate increases seems to support your thinking -- the TurboHD stand alone packages. Maybe Dish believes that their customers who own HDTVs are more likely to justify the increase by staying home more. Or simply have more disposable income for in home entertainment.

OTOH Dish is giving up a competitive advantage, by making it less attractive to DirecTV HDTV subs to switch while making NETFLIX and alternate video sources more attractive.

In any case, if in home entertainment becomes the hot ticket in 2009, you can bet that there will be lots of competition for Dish in quality, quantity and price. Bring it on!

Talon Dancer

As a Directv customer....I could not agree with you more

Today I have the "Everything Package" which is $95/month. From a recent bill I find my locals are an additional $5/month and I believe some DVR tuner fee is waived on my second receiver since I am an AEP customer, or have my monthly bill automatically debited each month, or both... I also add the Gold and Platinum HD packages for an additional $20/month and top it off with the Regional Sports Networks for another $6/month. If I interpret things correctly... I can expect a $3/month price hike when the new pricing is rolled out?

I am attempting to assess the wisdom of switching to the TurboHD Gold package but Dish's website is quite obfuscatory with respect to pricing information on the premium movie channel (HBO, et al.) packages. With the new TurboHD Gold price at $50/month, and assuming all the premium movie channels are bundled at $40/month (is this correct?), if I attempted to duplicate my existing programming (Platinum HD, RSN package, local channels) would I essentially be saving $18/month by going this route?

Is the tradeoff for those $18/month simply the fact I would not receive the SD-only channels I currently get? If I choose the premium movie channel bundle, would I also receive the SD-only channels within those packages? How about the RSNs- if I subscribe to the RSN package, are both the HD and SD channels included for "Turbo" customers?

Thanks for the analysis, insight, and opinion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts