Decision Made: Charter Fiber Optics or Dish Network?

Dish takes it to another level..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

How many of these disputes have truly affected you. I know in my area we have had very few issues. BTN and our ABC affiliate were the biggest in the last few years. AMC really didn't affect many of my customer, or I just never heard them complain.

I've always found rain fade to be a poor excuse. Losing signal for a few minutes do to rain once in a while does not bother me. Was does bother me is not having any TV for days or weeks because of an outage though. Mediacom does not have a good record in my area and what's worse is that it also affects phone and internet since people bundled with them.

We don't have many option in my area so that new cable system in your area may be the next best competition. Ya never know unless you try it.

How many of these disputes have truly affected you. I know in my area we have had very few issues. BTN and our ABC affiliate were the biggest in the last few years. AMC really didn't affect many of my customer, or I just never heard them complain.

I've always found rain fade to be a poor excuse. Losing signal for a few minutes do to rain once in a while does not bother me. Was does bother me is not having any TV for days or weeks because of an outage though. Mediacom does not have a good record in my area and what's worse is that it also affects phone and internet since people bundled with them.

We don't have many option in my area so that new cable system in your area may be the next best competition. Ya never know unless you try it.
Let's see..Viacom.. CBS..fox...ABC..AMC..versus...some I don't care about such as lifetime..and let's not forget Voom but they usually get resolved in a while

Let's see..Viacom.. CBS..fox...ABC..AMC..versus...some I don't care about such as lifetime..and let's not forget Voom but they usually get resolved in a while

Very few of these have I had any complaints or threats on leaving Dish for. The local channels were easy to solve because my customers could just use an antenna. In fact some of these disputes helped my business by selling antennas and OTA modules. Most of these disputes did not affect us for long either except for BTN and AMC, BTN was the biggest problem dispute for my customers of all the channels. A lot of people missed the Iowa/Northern Iowa game that year.

Of course my local city government could be equally to blame for the sorry contract that they negotiated with Charter,but my experience with Charter has been very negative as far as TV services go. I'd take Dish over Charter any day.

Regarding comm skipping, that's not an issue either. I can run a service (if I want) that strips all the commercials from all my recordings, not just the big 4 networks. I choose not to do it, as I don't mind pressing a button to skip and have the option of watching a commercial if I want.

I don't think you can do all of that with Tivo.

Oh, I agree. TiVo can't do all of that. And I did look into the AVS Forum site and tracked down the different PC setups, which have DVR functionality. And because I have a painful medical disability, I opted not to set up and maintain an HTPC/DVR Whole Home System like that. My pain levels would sky rocket tending to it, when and if needed.

In that list, CBS and Viacom were a Directv dispute, not Dish (yet).

Reactions: ncted
Disney/espn never went down. Were they happy with eachother... No. Did they do what was best for customer/company/shareholders... Yes. Just to name one. If you are gonna say they had a "quibble" then every single provider out there has had quibbles with every single station owner

Reactions: ncted
Disney/espn never went down. Were they happy with eachother... No. Did they do what was best for customer/company/shareholders... Yes. Just to name one. If you are gonna say they had a "quibble" then every single provider out there has had quibbles with every single station owner
Why did Charlie stop selling DirecTV?
.he would have had far less headaches.wasn't he a Major retailer for them

Well, the AMC dispute plus years without Disney is pretty much the only reason I even considered going back to cable. I loved the service otherwise, and loved my Hopper. Looking back, it was actually a blessing, although my ETF was a bit painful. Charter has never lost a channel due to a dispute, as far as I know.

However, I am grateful that Charlie stands his ground to keep prices down. I just don't like living with the consequences. Since disputes don't seem it bother you guys, and don't affect me now that I have cable, everybody is happy.

Regarding Promo price, mine expires in a year, TV goes up $20, internet goes up $10.
I checked the prices for a nearby Charter system and the prices on the promotional bundle were discounted by $81/month for the first year. The price would almost double to $167/month in the second year.

IIRC, Juan is a denizen of Puerto Rico where DISH offerings aren't as comprehensive and sometimes involve removal of channels due to reallocation of satellite assets.
No..village of Moscow.. In the town of russia ny..which is next to the town of Poland

I checked the prices for a nearby Charter system and the prices on the promotional bundle were discounted by $81/month for the first year. The price would almost double to $167/month in the second year.
Bundles include phone and internet and DVRs and tons of stuff I don't have. I can tell you that the rack rate for just my TV package (phone and internet aren't relevant to this discussion) is $80, no discounts. That's about the same as AT250 ($80 at Dish) plus HBO/MAX/SHO, or "Everything" ($125) minus Starz. I don't know what it costs to add HBO/MAX/SHO to AT250, but I can guess it's probably around $25. So with Charter, after promos expire, I'm getting a package for $80 that would cost me $105 at Dish, plus HD fees, DVR fees, lease fees, mirror fees, probably another $40 or so. That makes my bill about half what it was with Dish, plus I get 60 more HD channels. And if I had Dish in every room like I do now with cable, that's probably another $40 in fees to add those 4 rooms. That's a huge difference. Granted, I provided all my own equipment, probably $600 or so in all for DVR and live tv access in 5 rooms. But my savings made all that back in the first year or so.

My current discount for TV is $20 per month for a year, bringing my $80 package down to $60. I've never had a Dish bill that low, even when I first signed up. I'm not interested in any bundles. I'll keep my $3/month Ooma instead of Charter's $40/month (or $20/month with discounts) phone service. Internet is another subject, but $40/month for 64Mbps isn't bad. That goes up to $50 in a year.

Even if you were to break down the bundle that you found and take out phone and internet, you're probably down to about $100 for the TV part, which is still cheaper than Dish.

Anyway, I've done the math many times, and cable is still the bang for the buck by far in my market.

And, yes, no Disney for years referred to the HD versions of the Disney family of channels (ABC Family, etc.). I don't watch SD anymore, especially uber-compressed satellite feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)