Decision Made: Charter Fiber Optics or Dish Network?

Sorry, SDV is an abbreviation for Switch Digital Video, which is what bandwidth-starved cable companies implement to re-use frequencies in order to fit more channels on their infrastructure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_video

In my limited experience with it on my local Time Warner Cable outfit, it is poorly implemented, especially with Cable Card devices like Tivo.

I am amazed at how much more people on this site know than me. I have a long ways to go. Thanks for helping to educate me.

It is pretty much marketing spin to write off the fact that you can no longer use "cable-ready" televisions with their all-digital service.
Agreed. But it's nothing new. They've been claiming they're fiber optic (FTTN anyway) since at least 2007. "Spectrum" is their new spin for their all-digital service. All that really means is they finally shut off all analog service completely and removed all clear QAM. At least it's freed up a ton of bandwidth for all those new HD channels they added. It also brings cable theft to a grinding halt and should reduce truck rolls. I hope this means they'll eventually shut off SDV, but I'm not holding my breath. I've only got something like 40 channels on SDV out of 500 or so. Except for a few channels, I can unplug my tuning adapter and almost not notice ... almost.

The move has also angered a lot of paying customers since their bills go up $6 a year or two from now (couple of boxes are free at first). Problem is, unlike satellite, your first box is NOT included in your package price. And now that you must have a box, all they can offer is their antiquated dual-tuner single-room 500GB DVR with a good old 480i interface even on an HD TV. It's a joke compared to Dish and DirecTV. They're attempting to roll out a modern interface as we speak, but it's not going well. They really just need to punt and partner up with Tivo. They were on the right track with Moxi, but that's history now. Motorola offers a fantastic interface, but Charter won't open their wallets and pay for it. So here we are in 2014 still running an interface from the 90's.

mdavej,

Man, do I feel a fool. So, what they told me is really not true? Man, confusion reigns.

On another note: Due to my disability, I've not been able to do the stairs here at my home to check out the guide on the only Charter HD receiver box in the house. I was told that the interface to this HD set top box was already linked to their new online cloud interface. Is that interface available to everyone already, who has Charter's HD receiver boxes or is that being rolled out in some areas and not others?

mdavej,

Man, do I feel a fool. So, what they told me is really not true? Man, confusion reigns.

On another note: Due to my disability, I've not been able to do the stairs here at my home to check out the guide on the only Charter HD receiver box in the house. I was told that the interface to this HD set top box was already linked to their new online cloud interface. Is that interface available to everyone already, who has Charter's HD receiver boxes or is that being rolled out in some areas and not others?
No, it IS true. It's just taken many years to roll out fiber. My area only got it last year. It's probably new to your area too. I do think it's misleading for them to use the term "fiber optic" when it's not 100% like FIOS. Doesn't really diminish the quality though.

You may indeed have the cloud interface too, as it has been rolled out in a few places, rolled back in others. Which of these does it look like?
This (cloud):
charter_cloudui_main.png

or this (old):
Charter-VODMenu-2010.jpg

No matter what you have, it really doesn't matter since you have Tivo. The old interface doesn't bother me since I never have to see it either.

Their plan is to roll it out nationwide. It's just been very slow in coming and pulled back in some areas due to technical problems. They're not trying to scam anyone, just bitten off more than they can chew, IMO.

Cloud based interface aside. Their content and service is excellent. If it wasn't, I'd still have Dish or DirecTV.

You may indeed have the cloud interface too, as it has been rolled out in a few places, rolled back in others. Which of these does it look like?
This (cloud):

I wish I could answer that question. I can't do the stairs. I'll have to wait until someone can go down there to look for me on the only Charter Cable Box in the house. I was told that it was to be the cloud interface, but I really am not sure.

Last edited:
No, it IS true. It's just taken many years to roll out fiber. My area only got it last year. It's probably new to your area too. I do think it's misleading for them to use the term "fiber optic" when it's not 100% like FIOS.
FIOS isn't really 100% fiber. They are FTTH and then coax inside. The difference is a few dozen feet of coax from the pedestal or utility pole.

Their plan is to roll it out nationwide. It's just been very slow in coming and pulled back in some areas due to technical problems. They're not trying to scam anyone, just bitten off more than they can chew, IMO.

Cloud based interface aside. Their content and service is excellent. If it wasn't, I'd still have Dish or DirecTV.

mdaveJ,

Oh, I agree with you on the excellent picture quality. In fact I had to really look very closely on those motion scenes to see the slightest of motion. It looked/looks so very close to blue ray quality to me. Had you not educated me, I'd still declare it to be as good. Man, it is so close visually to my eyes. Now, what amazes me is, I can now see the difference between a 720p picture with this Charter FTTN system as opposed to a 1080i picture. I couldn't see any difference at all with Directv or Dish, when I had them.

I'm still floored by how good this is. Man, what fun! I love a great quality picture, and sports on here... how did Tony the Tiger put it when I was a kid? "It's Grrrrreat!"

Last edited:
What does your interface look like?
I don't know what the interface on the Charter boxes in my market look like since I haven't seen a Charter box in a couple of years. But my Windows Media Center Interface looks very similar to this:
my_movies_for_windows_media_center-471135-1316256008.jpeg

7mcmychannellogos.png

Unlike the shots above, mine isn't British obviously. And I have mine set to 11 rows by 3 hours so I can see the whole prime time schedule on one screen. I can set it up any way I want though.

That really is very nice. Prior to my disability I was really into the home theater scene. I had a CRT projector and was headed in the direction of an HTPC. I would have definitely gone this route, beyond the shadow of a doubt. I bet, you are having a blast with your set up. I still have the itch. The body just won't cooperate.

LOL Now I just have a very small room and a tv and a so so sound bar. My how the mighty fall. #Grin

Below are examples of the Charter online UI Cloud interface. It looks to be somewhat bland, but not too bad. I just wonder if people are going to be able to record onto the cloud or just onto their DVR's? If they can indeed record onto the cloud, they'd probably have to determine how many shows can be recorded at once. Who knows, they may still be stuck with the limitations of those 1990ish looking 2 tuner DVRS that I read about.

Attachments

• Spectrum Date.jpeg
    Spectrum Date.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Spectrum Guide.jpeg
    Spectrum Guide.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,929
  • Spectrum On Demand.jpeg
    Spectrum On Demand.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 437
  • Spectrum Search.jpeg
    Spectrum Search.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I don't know what the interface on the Charter boxes in my market look like since I haven't seen a Charter box in a couple of years. But my Windows Media Center Interface looks very similar to this:
Yeah, this discussion doesn't belong in the Hopper Zone anymore.

So to bring it back on topic, I'll say this:

At least it has a list view option. :D

Yeah, this discussion doesn't belong in the Hopper Zone anymore.

So to bring it back on topic, I'll say this:

At least it has a list view option. :D
Actually, my system has a list view option too. I just posted the best looking screen shot. I use the cover art view for movies and list view for TV shows. It also has more advanced grouping/sorting and search options than Hopper. I can even automatically record any show title that contains a certain word or phrase. It's pretty cool.

Your list view option is exactly what I was referring to, unlike the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts