Decoder

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In the process of buying a new HDTV and looking around for a good entry level Home Theater system. Looking for something around 40 in. Thinking about a 720P resolution Lots to learn. Not looking for the top of the line but don't want to waste my time with junk. Any good reviews or suggestions would be appreciated.

rcdif,
Just make sure you've got plenty of input options. SPDIF optical (toslink) as well as coaxial (RCA) and you shouldn't have any problems down the road with AC3...
Since I'm still checking the cushions for spare change, I opted for one of the Sonic Voom headphones sets from eBay for $15. Hooked those into a set of powered PC speakers and I'm in business...

You can't beat Panasonic.
I bought one when plasmas came out and it's still going strong. I decided on Panasonic because in all the reviews I read, of all the different brands, they always compared their screen to Panasonic's. My unit is a 42" "industrial model" at only 480P It's called an "ED" (not HD) Extra Definition model.
When we move to NM I plan to get a larger 1080p Panasonic

What type decoder do I need for the audio on PBS?

I noticed that you didn't mention what sat receiver you're using. To get the PBS AC3, first of all, the receiver has to have a digital output (ie the coaxial or optical SPDIF connection mentioned above), however the receiver has to also pass AC3 through that output. Most newer receivers do, but some older ones don't, or in some cases don't, until you upgrade the firmware.

Also, some receivers aren't compatable (for some unknown reason) with some decoders. I have 2 Soundblaster Extigy stand-alone sound cards that decode the AC3/DD-5.1 signal, and I had used it for years with 2 Fortec receivers on the PBS channels, however when I got a Fortec Mercury, there was something different about the AC3 signal coming out of the Mercury, such that it wouldn't work with either of my Extigys, whether I used the optical input or if I'd use an optical to coaxial converter in between, and the Mercury's signal also couldn't be played by another decoder I have. I eventually found a cheap home stereo that worked with the Mercury, and also got two of those Sonic Voom things that worked fine until I finally stopped using the darn Mercury because Fortec never corrected any of the multitude of other firmware bugs. However it's always been a curiosity to me of why it's AC3 signal would work with some decoders, but not with other decoders. I've run the signals into an oscilloscope, and I really can't see any significant difference between the signals my Mercury puts out, and the signal my other receivers puts out, but there is obviously a difference.
But back to the receiver, if you have a newer HD capable receiver which has the HDMI connection, and a TV with that input, then there should be no problem. But if you have an older SD sat receiver, then your choices are something like an old Soundblaster Extigy (unless you have a Mercury), the Sonic Voom, a modern audio system with a digital input, or a TV with a digital input. Problem with the TV option though, is that often the TVs might have only one input source that can use this digital input, so if you have multiple sources, you may run out of inputs that can use the digital audio.
Currently I use the Soundblaster with my STB sat receiver, which feeds one of those 4 input RCA switch things before going to my TV, so that frees up the optical input on my TV for other devices. My two HD sat receivers feed my TV via the two HDMI inputs on the TV. I also have a couple PC sat receivers that feed a Roku HD1000 box, which decodes the AC3 to my TV via a digital SPDIF input or via the L/R RCA inputs via stereo downmix.
So there are LOTs of different options..... all depends on what sat receiver you have, what TV you have, and if you're intending to use the surround sound capability through a stereo system with the L/R/C/LR/RR 5 channel system, or just a L/R stereo system.

...... Problem with the TV option though, is that often the TVs might have only one input source that can use this digital input, so if you have multiple sources, you may run out of inputs that can use the digital audio.......

Just to add a little info to B.J.'s very informative post....Monoprice, for one, has a very inexpensive 3-into-1 manual optical audio switch, if you run out of inputs on your TV.

I think you can also get basically the same thing, but controlled with a remote.......hey, all of us could use another remote control, right? ;)

Monoprice also has the BEST prices I have found on TV wall mounts, most A/V cables and.........ink cartridges for printers.

It's possible that some (more recent) HD TV sets have optical input for AC3.
Mine does not, and it certainly was not the norm just a few years ago.
They don't have that many speakers, and rely on external AC3 decoding and amps.

It does have an optical output.
So, just because you see the connector, do not assume.

Also, I'm not aware of any FTA receivers with HDMI outputs, unless they are HD FTA receivers.
All the better Standard Def STBs have composite, S-video, and Component, all of which then also have two RCA jacks for the sound.
Many sets also have the optical and/or coaxial digital sound output as well.

Yes, all HD TV sets have AC3 decode capability, but just don't expect 'em to decode beyond their Off The Air signal.
If yours does, that's great.

It's possible that some (more recent) HD TV sets have optical input for AC3.
Mine does not, and it certainly was not the norm just a few years ago.
They don't have that many speakers, and rely on external AC3 decoding and amps.

It does have an optical output.
So, just because you see the connector, do not assume.

Ahhh. Your post just reminded me of what the situation was on my TV.

You're right. My TV was confusing, because like you said, it had an optical output, and right below that was another port that I thought was another digital input for component, but it wasn't. I had remembered connecting an optical cable to it, but like you said, that was from the TV to a stereo. I had also remembered connecting optical output from one of my sat systems, but now I remember that was to my stereo as well, not the TV.
So I think you're probably right re TVs not commonly having optical inputs.

I personally am a fan of LCD displays. I have a 42" LG 1080p that has a great picture. I use it with a Pioneer surround sound system that has both optical and coaxial inputs, and it works well with all my satellite receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)