Decrease in dB Strength On 107w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed a decrease in signal (dB) strength on 107w ?
In the past I received the CTV mux with a 14.1 dB signal. Now its between 12.3 to 12.6.
All the other sats are coming in normally, with 105w being a bit stronger.
I thought it might be weather related at their source, but its been this way for several weeks.

John

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed a decrease in signal (dB) strength on 107w ?
In the past I received the CTV mux with a 14.1 dB signal. Now its between 12.3 to 12.6.
All the other sats are coming in normally, with 105w being a bit stronger.
I thought it might be weather related at their source, but its been this way for several weeks.

John
I wouldn't be surprised if it is because that satellite is near the end of its lifespan. They might be fine tuning the terrestrial feeds and reducing power to conserve energy.

Captain,

Good point.
I think I remember reading somewhere that its service time was extended beyond its normal “end of life” date.
I dont remember the reason though.
Thanks for responding.

John

Hi All,

Just did some checking on AnikF1.
Its now 5 years past its end of life service date. This just proves that with the proper amount of propellant and barring any collisions, satellites can go well past their EOL service dates.

John

Hi all,

Heres further news regarding Anik F1 from Shaw Communications dated October 2020...

Anik F1R is undergoing decommissioning activities through August 2021 and the Company expects to replace Anik F1R’s satellite capacity through further service consolidation and the introduction of new leased satellite capacity on Anik F3 in fiscal 2021.​

John

Reactions: FTA4PA and c-spand
clucas,

F3 has both C and kU capabilities.
If Shaw transitions everything to F3, that will end my ability to view any Canadian programming. I can only see down to 113w.

John.

Captain,

Like you all I see at 111w Is SLN.
I think that satellite is also being retired around the same time as 107w.
It looks like big changes are in store... nothing much positive for Canadian FTA.

John

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)