Decreased remote range

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdenton1138

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Not sure if its just my remotes, my boxes or my software (4cc), but both my IR and RF ranges have decreased down to 2 feet or so. I had been on RF and when that basically quit working a few (several?) days ago, I switched back to IR. While hat seemed to work well for a day, I'm now back down to a 2' range on IR as well. I did change the batteries just in case but to no avail... Any suggestions? Do I need a new remote (the one I have is several years old)...? I've not seen this as being a 4cc problem but since I'm running CE, I thought I'd check here first.

I've not seen this as being a 4cc problem but since I'm running CE, I thought I'd check here first.

You could go back to the national release. If it's the CE, that should fix it. If not, you won't really lose anything.

Thanks for the advice. Downloaded the NR and have the same problem. Weird thing is that the IR doesn't work any better than the RF for the HR21-700, but works fine for the TV, so maybe its not the remote, but rather the receiver itself. Need to contact DirecTV and see what they think.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the advice. Downloaded the NR and have the same problem. Weird thing is that the IR doesn't work any better than the RF for the HR21-700, but works fine for the TV, so maybe its not the remote, but rather the receiver itself. Need to contact DirecTV and see what they think.

Thanks for the help!

Do you have a clear line of sight ?
Not behind a cabinet or anything ?

Resolution. Called DirecTV and told them of my problem. I switched remotes to no effect. I was then told of the hard drive corruption potential due to something that went wrong in their downstream. Although I couldn't imagine why this would reduce the range of the remote, I was asked to try running a hard drive error check before being sent a new receiver. Amazingly, it seems to have worked. Now my remote works both at range and much quicker in general.

Procedure: Reset with red button. Upon seeing "Almost there. A few more seconds please", press and hold Down and Record on the receiver itself. Hold these until you get the screen telling you its scanning the hard drive. This seems to perform effectively a (Windows) chkdsk /r on the hard drive. It takes around 2 hours (I turned the TV off @ 54% and went to sleep before it finished). It will tell you errors found and errors corrected, but I didn't see any before calling it a night.

I did not lose any recordings or my scheduled recordings... I may do this on all my receivers just for a potential performance upgrade. Can't really hurt.

This was on my HR21-700. RF works flawlessly again. Yay!

Resolution. Called DirecTV and told them of my problem. I switched remotes to no effect. I was then told of the hard drive corruption potential due to something that went wrong in their downstream. Although I couldn't imagine why this would reduce the range of the remote, I was asked to try running a hard drive error check before being sent a new receiver. Amazingly, it seems to have worked. Now my remote works both at range and much quicker in general.

Procedure: Reset with red button. Upon seeing "Almost there. A few more seconds please", press and hold Down and Record on the receiver itself. Hold these until you get the screen telling you its scanning the hard drive. This seems to perform effectively a (Windows) chkdsk /r on the hard drive. It takes around 2 hours (I turned the TV off @ 54% and went to sleep before it finished). It will tell you errors found and errors corrected, but I didn't see any before calling it a night.

I did not lose any recordings or my scheduled recordings... I may do this on all my receivers just for a potential performance upgrade. Can't really hurt.

This was on my HR21-700. RF works flawlessly again. Yay!

Sounds like you did a Disk Defrag on the unit.

Thats good info, make sure you have that info kept somewhere you can find it again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts