deep fringe questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wolf2006

Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
virginia
Hello everybody I'm wolf and I'm lost. Thanks to the mandatory DTV changeover I have to reconfigure my antenna. I'm trying to receive stations with a noise figure from +15.6 to -4 and -75dbm to-95dbm(fooltv). Already have a 24ft tower,rotor,midsize UHF VHF antenna. I'm thinking of adding 10ft of pipe to the tower and putting the UHF VHF antenna fixed on the bottom of the pipe(VHF stations are in one direction).Do ya'll think a TD 91XG antenna and a CM7777 pre-amp with the rotor on top of the 10ft pipe is going to make me happy or do I need to look in another direction.Any help or advice is going to be greatly appreciated!

Hello everybody I'm wolf and I'm lost. Thanks to the mandatory DTV changeover I have to reconfigure my antenna. I'm trying to receive stations with a noise figure from +15.6 to -4 and -75dbm to-95dbm(fooltv). Already have a 24ft tower,rotor,midsize UHF VHF antenna. I'm thinking of adding 10ft of pipe to the tower and putting the UHF VHF antenna fixed on the bottom of the pipe(VHF stations are in one direction).Do ya'll think a TD 91XG antenna and a CM7777 pre-amp with the rotor on top of the 10ft pipe is going to make me happy or do I need to look in another direction.Any help or advice is going to be greatly appreciated!
It would be real helpful if you told us more about your location than the State of Virginia. That is sort of like my telling you I am in Texas the second largest state and asking what channels can I watch.:)

First, a 24 foot tower sounds low. How high are the trees around you? Any hills? In general, (remember I said in general... varies with different locations) you want to get above any trees or neighbouring houses or hills. (you want the antenna to look over any obstructions) UHF is mostly a line of sight signal. In my area, deep fringe equates to 40 foot plus towers. (I see a few 100 foot towers also) The XG91 and CM7777 are good choices for deep fringe, but do you have any close signals that might overload the amplifier?
A good indication is what do other people in your area use? How high?

Either post your TVFool report or give us your location so we can assess your situation more accurately.

My location is 37.17 lat and 78.59 long.
Thanks again

Here's the report for that location.
TV Fool
Signal strengths are such that a more accurate location would be helpful.

Assuming that the report is correct, a 91XG or HD8800 aimed at 66 degrees would every major network but NBC.

A HD7698P would get NBC but all the stations would be a bit marginal.

A preamp will be necessary. The 7777 is right for you.

There are other stations that can be received with either a rotor or multiple antennas and Joiners.

Google map URL would be easy to assess. ;) Don't worry, you can give us your neighbor house coordinates - no big difference.

This is the closest house to the provided location:
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=37.175+-78.59&sll=37.17,-78.59&sspn=0.021373,0.043259&ie=UTF8&ll=37.174616,-78.593305&spn=0.001336,0.002704&t=h&z=19"]37.175 -78.59 - Google Maps[/ame]

Now that we know where he is lets find out what he is or isn't getting . Ch 3 and 13 are the only 2 VHF channels in basically the same direction PBS and ABC. Seeing he is going to use existing antenna for VHF and at base of mast below rotor reception must be adequate.

I'm leaning toward the 270-280 degree direction, which includes NBC, but until we know which antenna he has we are stuck.

Starting over fresh, I'd use a Winegard HD8200U pointed at 275 degrees true (285 degrees magnetic), with a CM7777 pre-amp maybe, and on a 40 ft. tower.

Just a little experimenting with heightsand WSLS-DT NBC, it looks like there is a good jump in reception going from 24 to 30 (1.8dB) and another good jump from 30 to 35ft (1.7dB) then it flattens out above 40 ft. only getting 0.3dB gain for each 5 ft of extra elevation, so going to 35 ft might double his signal strength.

With the setup I have now I'm getting channels 7 CBS weather permitting in day time,night time I get 18-25 power level on digital stream 9950 converter
channel 10 NBC 50/50 chance at night
channel 13 ABC good day and night. This channel is still UHF, it will go to VHF in october.
channel 15 PBS is good day and night with a power level of 20-30
channel 21FOX is good day and night with a power level of 15-25. All these channels are to the west.
channel 29 out of the west northwest
channels 6,8,12,35,65 out of the north northeast come and go
I hope this helps ya'll out!
Wolf
This is my third post so I will post the tvfool page link next

When you run the TVFool report there is a url listed toward the top 1/4 of the page, copy and paste that into a post and we all can see the same report.

TV Fool
Sorry about that! I guess I copied the wrong thing. hope this does better.

You can get one of each network with a Winegard HD8200U aimed at 271 degrees with an all channel preamp.

Next, is there a station in another direction that you'd really want? You have a choice of a rotor or a second UHF only antenna with a combiner or A/B switch.

Now I have a tower that is 25' total with 4' pole,rotor,4' pole and uhf,vhf antenna.The vhf channels are at 280 & 271 degrees. What I want to do is use a 10' pole on top of the tower with the vhf antenna fixed at the bottom of the pole and a uhf only(should be lighter) with a rotor(I have 5 different postions for stations) at the top of the pole.What uhf antenna would ya'll suggest for this application

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)