How can I use a second antenna for a single channel in deep fringe area?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The OP is going to have a digital 8 from one direction and a digital 9 from another, and the 9 will be stronger? This may prove to be easy. It could be that a simple dipole will receive both. I receive a digital 42 from one direction and a digital 43 from 160 degrees away, so I took the backscreen off a Channel Master 4-bay bowtie and then put a 42-43 bandpass filter on the output and I integrate that signal pair into a master antenna system that serves a 100+ unit, ten story condominium.

If those are the only two VHF highband (7-13) channels, then one can filter them for combining with the lowband (3?) and UHF by "filtering" them using the high side of a Hi-lo combiner (HLSJ) and the low, or VHF, side of a UVSJ. Those are three dollar parts.

You can probably accomplish the same thing using a channel 8 Jointenna. The adjacent channel filtering of a VHF highband Jointennas results in a relatively gentle slope, probaly less than ten dB, across the adjacent channel. That much slope would kill NTSC analog picture quality but will not kill a healthy digiital signal. But if they are the only two VHF high channels, the HLSJ, UVSJ filtering is best. VHF Jointennas are not tunable, whereas UHF Jointennas are tunable.

As far as using the XUV heterodyne converters are concerned, you will not believe how much out of band noise they generate. I mean, it is incredible. I set up one to convert a UHF signal to channel 3 and another to channel 6 (I can field tune them with my spectrum analyzer), and the channel 6 converter's output put a ton of visible interference on an analog 2 house channel. I had to put a bandpass filter with about 50dB of depth on that output to salvage the availability of channel 2.

Also, the XUV inputs can only be tuned to UHF channels. How strong does TV fool say the post transition digital channels 8 and 9 will be?

Last edited:
I dont think some people understood my previous responces correctly. The old Channel Master instruction setup pages show theory. The antennas pointed direction do not need to be the same. The postings are just technical examples of what can be done with 300 ohm wire compared to an expensive multi 75 ohm antenna coax combiner system.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts