Deep Horizon Oil Leak

Status
Please reply by conversation.
...this is pretty neat... cameras from side of rocket as it takes off. NEAT.

On the 7th day after a shuttle launch, the video retrieved from the two solid rocket boosters is usually played back on NASA-TV. This is really amazing video, as it comes from six different cameras (three on each booster), and shows the launch, booster separation, and fall back to Earth including the landing in the ocean.

im wondering what initially failed with the blow out preventer. having worked in the canadian oil patch myself, i cant understand how oil companies wouldnt be required to have proofed contigency plans to even apply for a drilling liscense at that depth.

I'm guessing the annualar ring or whatever it's called is a big part of it, considering on the 60 minutes interview it sounded like it was a minor issue when pieces of the ring were seen up at the rig (coming out along with used drill mud and other particles that the bit had drilled away?) when in fact it probably is a major thing that the ring wasn't able to do its job when needed.

It also sounds like the U.S. government let BP/transocean cut corners on some of the drilling license application details, but I suppose whatever happened that allowed a license without some emergency details will be known when the accident report is released.

On the 7th day after a shuttle launch, the video retrieved from the two solid rocket boosters is usually played back on NASA-TV. This is really amazing video, as it comes from six different cameras (three on each booster), and shows the launch, booster separation, and fall back to Earth including the landing in the ocean.
Yeah, I've seen some of that stuff. The one I liked best was one as one of those boosters was coming down, shutes deployed, and then it hit the water, and glub glub glub as it went under water, then it popped up to the surface, and you could see the parachute floating beside it on the surface. Pretty neat.

Yeah, I know that the shuttle launches have cameras running during the launch. I'm not sure what impressed me so much about this one yesterday, perhaps part of it was that it was all so fast, ie while you're still watching the rockets lifting it off, you hear them say that they achieved orbit. The other part of what was different is that you got a view of the stearable rocket nozzles. If I read right, this didn't have solid fuel boosters, but were kerosene and hydrogen burning with liquid oxygen through controllable nozzles. It was a slightly different view from what we normally see with the shuttle. I was also a bit confused relative to where it was launched from. It seemed to be a much more primative launch area, even though I read that it was from the Cape. Shortly after the launch, they announced that there were some grass fires near the launch area.
I saw a comment on TV where they said that these private companies are just learning, and don't know what they don't know yet, but it was pretty impressive for a commercial attempt. Plus, we all think of NASA as being government, whereas in reality, NASA is primarily a bunch of contract officers, and it's the contractors doing much of the work anyway, and these days the federal government is even contracting out the contracting, putting anyother layer of spending between the tax dollar and the actual work.
Ie it used to be that the government agencies actually did stuff, but then they started farming the actual work out to contractors, but since they no longer did the work, they no longer had people who understood what was being done, so they didn't have the expertise to manage the contracts, so now they are hiring companies who supposedly have the expertise to manage the contracts, but even these companies don't have the expertise either, since they don't do the work either.
I know that there was a lot of criticism of the government being inept when they did the work themselves, but I think I'd rather have that instead of 6 layers of paper pushers. .....Grumblings from someone who was once a contractor then a government employee doing the work and a government employee monitoring contractors, seeing no logical way out of the waste cycle.

Oops... drifting off topic yet again.

Something new is up on the oil leak feed.
They're now showing some video of something called
"Co-Flex Line Installation", and are showing the arms of an ROV with some pressure guages sitting at a depth of 1521'.

After a couple days of watching nothing but oil pouring out under that cap, it's nice to see some new activity. I'm wondering if they are going to try to attach a 2nd or 3rd riser line to that cap somehow? Ie, if they are now getting 1/3 of the total oil flow through 1 line, it makes sense that if they could get a 2nd line attached, that they could increase that significantly by adding a 2nd, and perhaps a 3rd line.
Anyway a new view to look at.

BTW, I've been trying to figure out what those EAST/NORTH location parameters are relative to, and in what units? I thought at first they might be UTM easting/northing type units in meters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then, I thought maybe they were UTM but in feet rather than meters. Sure enough, I did the conversion, and it's almost exact. Weird, I would never have guessed that they have coordinates expressed in feet.

Yea..I have been watching the leak for a few days now and you can see up in the right hand corner of the screen 4932 ft...WOW.
I do NOT see it getting anybetter,if anything it looks worse!:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)