Defragging System files?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Other than having one of those defraggers like PerfectDisk which I have, how would one defrag system files using Windows? I assume that the normal control pannel defrager using Windows doesn't do this.

computer->right click drive->properties->tools->defragment

A couple of weeks ago I decided to defragment my Dell Dimension 8400, not that I thought it was essential but because I thought it might make my computer a little more responsive. (It was already lightning fast, but I thought greased lightning might be possible!)

Using the method shown by mike123abc I put the machine into defrag mode and went to bed. The next morning, when I checked the results, the machine was frozen. The blue screen of doom resulted from a forced reboot. I've had a computer fix-it guy working on it for 2 weeks now trying to figure out what went wrong. He started from the premise that it was a software issue, moved on to a controller issue, is now looking at a disk drive issue, and ultimately may conclude it is a motherboard issue.

Anybody with constructive comments or experience, please pm me or post whatever suggestion you have.

Thanks, Fitzie

A couple of weeks ago I decided to defragment my Dell Dimension 8400, not that I thought it was essential but because I thought it might make my computer a little more responsive. (It was already lightning fast, but I thought greased lightning might be possible!)

Using the method shown by mike123abc I put the machine into defrag mode and went to bed. The next morning, when I checked the results, the machine was frozen. The blue screen of doom resulted from a forced reboot. I've had a computer fix-it guy working on it for 2 weeks now trying to figure out what went wrong. He started from the premise that it was a software issue, moved on to a controller issue, is now looking at a disk drive issue, and ultimately may conclude it is a motherboard issue.

Anybody with constructive comments or experience, please pm me or post whatever suggestion you have.

Thanks, Fitzie
Is the pc booting up normally now or is there a problem? Did you write down the stop error from the blue screen?

Is the pc booting up normally now or is there a problem? Did you write down the stop error from the blue screen?

The pc is not booting normally. The fix-it guy got stymied when he tried to reinstall the system; the pc would install most of the operating system, then go into eternal cycling without completing the task. This happened on both drives. He advised me today that both drives (SATA raid array) may be bad, he thinks an IDE drive he stuck in the system is loading normally. I can only hope, since he reports a new 320GB SATA drive is only $65 or so. This is cheap compared to a new motherboard.

I did write down the error message from the blue screen but don't have it here with me, it was something like "cannot access volume." Running the normal hard drive test gave me the "Fail. Code 7." message if I recall correctly, for both drives. That's when I decided to get someone in with more patience than me. Maybe I'll know more tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest.

Fitzie

Running the normal hard drive test gave me the "Fail. Code 7." message if I recall correctly, for both drives. That's when I decided to get someone in with more patience than me. Maybe I'll know more tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest.

Fitzie

That code indicates a drive failure. Is your Dell still under warranty? They should replace the drive under the warranty. Otherwise, time to buy a new one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)