Defying Gravity

Either way it is a soap opera in space and it will not last long. There is no where to take it unless you take it in the sci-fi direction. I don't see them doing that. So it will be a summer replacement that will go away come fall.

You definition of soap opera is funny.

Like I said, I guess you never watched BSG or Firefly either. Its a space drama with sex, whats not to like?

Well,

The question is:

What is 'IT'?

It picked the crew, and when they sent 2 people 'IT' didn't want, they got sick and had to be replaced.

'IT' was referenced throughtout the show.

The first hour was the pilot and had songs/music in it, and I am SOOOO glad that the 2nd hour (1st real episode) did not have the music/songs. Everytime they do that, it reminds me of 'Cop Rock' from the 1980's and ruins my train of thought for the show. Pulls me right back to reality.

You definition of soap opera is funny.

Like I said, I guess you never watched BSG or Firefly either. Its a space drama with sex, whats not to like?

ALL shows that have an ongoing story arc ,whether it is a daytime or night time show are soap operas. And for your information all daytime soap operas are considered dramas. THat is why they call it DAYTIME DRAMA. The difference is the night time shows resolve things a bit faster than daytime shows. LOVED BSG , didn't like the premise of FIREFLY . It reminded me of a western in space. Hate westerns. I just don't have any more time to invest in silly shows like this just because it has simulated sex scenes in it. I watch HBO if I want to see simulated SEX : TRUE BLOOD & HUNG. That is why I said I would pass on this show .

I just watched the 1st 3 dvd discs (rented from netflix) and decided to purchase the complete set from amazon. What a great series. This was really getting good when ABC cancelled it. Hope they bring it back or make a movie to bring some closure to the story.

I knew this show wouldn't succeed. It was too much like Grey's Anatomy in space. The new show The Deep End is just like Grey's Anatomy in a law firm. Networks love to take a concept and run it right into the ground. Remember Who wants to be a millionaire? They showed that damn show 5 nights a week one year till NO ONE wanted to see it or Regis Philbin ever again.

Putting aside the soap opera flavor and slow moving nature of this series, it was really very well done with a meaningful, thought-provoking plot. I for one will wonder for the rest of my life how the mystery would have played out. (Yeah, I know, I gotta get a life.) I recognize that there is no way the public would ever take to a series which forces them to think, however.

I think Roddenberry pitched Star Trek as a Wagon Train in Space just to get it on the air. I don't think most of us think of it in those terms anymore. If you give Defying Gravity a chance beyond the first episode it stands on it's own merits as well IMHO.

It's a shame Defying Gravity had such a short run. ABC didn't even air the last 5 episodes that are available now on DVD. Amazon has the whole thing on sale for 36.49. It isn't on BluRay but the DVD quality is pretty good. I ordered mine yesterday. It will hold an honored spot in my collection next to Firefly. Well worth the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts