Delaying playback with Diamond 9000?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
I'm sure that I have mentioned several times that I like to delay the video from NFL games so as to sync it up with audio from Sirius radio, since the Sirius radio is about 25 seconds delayed. This is easy to do using an old SA SD TIVO, but it's more difficult to do with HD sat signals. I used to do it with the old 32362 SR CBS transponders by streaming the signal to my ROKU, then hitting pause on the ROKU for 20 seconds or so. Only problem was that I needed a HUGE buffer to store the 20 seconds of HD video. It's pretty easy to do with OTA ATSC signals too, basically the same way via the ROKU, except that it doesn't require nearly as big a buffer since the bitrate is smaller.

However since CBS switched to 4.2.2, while I can watch the games on my Azbox, I cannot delay the video anymore, since my Roku doesn't do 4.2.2, and the PopcornHour only seems to do it in SD.

Last week, however, I found my team's game on an mpeg4 sat channel with relatively low bitrate, so I decided to try using my Diamond 9000 to do the delaying. I had tried this once before just hitting the pause button while watching the video. This seemed to work, however the pause only worked for a short time, perhaps 30 min or less, at which time things would crash.
So what I did, which I *THOUGHT* was working, was to actually start a recording, then wait for about 15 seconds (this feed was delayed a bit itself), and start to play the recording while it was still recording. This SEEMED to be working, however I soon noticed that while I could get the video and audio synced up pretty good for a short time, all it took was less than a minute before the playback would catch up to the real time video. This NEVER happened when streaming to my Roku. I could get the thing in sync, and it would stay in sync for an entire football game. I'm not at all sure what exactly is happening, ie whether the playback is occurring at a higher rate, or if there are little video blips where it catches up in little chunks, or what. I almost wonder if this off speed playback is somehow related to the pirate 131p firmware in my box, which causes little video blips at a regular rate, although mostly observed at higher bitrates. I just thought that perhaps the blips at higher bitrates might somehow be related to the receiver playing at a different rate than the live video, and having to periodically freeze to let the live video fill it's buffer again. I guess it could be just that the Diamond has some oscillator that is off freq or something too.
Anyway, it's strange that playback doesn't seem to occur at the same rate as the original material for some reason.
I guess the next time I try this, I may try via my PopcornHour. I'm also hoping that eventually the Azbox firmware might improve to allow delayed playback of high bitrate signals. It's possible that it MIGHT have worked with these low bitrate signals already, I'm not sure.

I almost wonder if this off speed playback is somehow related to the pirate 131p firmware in my box, which causes little video blips at a regular rate, although mostly observed at higher bitrates. I just thought that perhaps the blips at higher bitrates might somehow be related to the receiver playing at a different rate than the live video, and having to periodically freeze to let the live video fill it's buffer again. I guess it could be just that the Diamond has some oscillator that is off freq or something too.
My Diamond 9000 has the same software and I noticed the video interruptions. The interruptions are very bad on the FTV HD channel it freezes the picture for a second and pixilates. HD feeds only give a slight flicker. Since I bought this off of e-bay I thought I got stuck with a bad receiver, now that you’re stating that you have the same problem, I’ll have to look into this further.
mikelib

My Diamond 9000 has the same software and I noticed the video interruptions. The interruptions are very bad on the FTV HD channel it freezes the picture for a second and pixilates. HD feeds only give a slight flicker. Since I bought this off of e-bay I thought I got stuck with a bad receiver, now that you’re stating that you have the same problem, I’ll have to look into this further.
mikelib
I think if you search, you'll find that this is a well known issue. I haven't tried it, but from what I have read, the video problem goes away if you go back to a factory firmware, however you lose audio, so apparently there is no cure. It's not too bad on OTA ATSC and on PBS HD, which is what I watch most of, so I just live with it. The 9000 is a great receiver otherwise. It's one of the few that has a good enough editor to allow you to create manual PID channels with MPEG4 video and AC3 audio.

I knew about the 131p problem before I bought my 9000, however the ebay seller (some fellow from Ottawa) insisted that it had original factory firmware on it. I guess I should have known better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts