SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Features:

* 7.2 channels (5.1.2 for Dolby Atmos)
* Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma; via future firmware update)
* Multi-channel Surround
* HEOS Wireless Multi-Room Technology
* Streaming Services: Amazon Music / TIDAL / Deezer / iHeart Radio / Napster / Soundcloud / Mood Mix / Spotify / Pandora / SiriusXM
* 8 HDMI (7 back, 1 front)
* 2 composite in/1 out
* 2 component in/1 out
* Audyssey MultEQ

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs930h

de_%20avr_s930h_e3_al_lo.png

Just ordered one of these for the bedroom to replace the Pioneer SC91. Should be here Saturday. Been a while since I've gone Denon. I think my last one was the 889. It will be going into the bedroom, so I don't need all of the bells and whistles. This one meets the needs. Next will be a 65" Dolby Vision display, and I should then be set for a while.

S~

Reactions: dfergie
I think the 930 is about right for a bedroom set.

I went with the X4300H in the family room because I wanted to add the 9.1 height speakers. I still need to mount the height speakers and purchase the auro 3d upgrade. It's all sitting in boxes, waiting for my crazy month to end. Denon will push dolbyvision to my receiver, hopefully soon. The new setup is already amazing, and can only get better.

Got it hooked up this morning. These Denons are beyond idiot proof. It you through every single step. I already had everything hooked up and must have spent more time hitting skip. Anyways, quick hookup and took about 15 minutes to run the firmware update. ran Audyssey in 3 locations. I love the sound on this. Very clean. Mids are much better than the Pioneer. Very musical. The Pioneer always had this thump in the mids to mid lows. I listen/watch VEVO all the time. Everything is clean and musical from top to bottom. I also like how Denon/Marantz will automatically switch from DD to Prologic. Pioneer doesn't. With Pioneer, if you have prologic enabled and switch to a DD signal, it goes to 5 channel stereo. Messed with my Oppo and ROKU. No handshake issues with my nonHDR SOny 850a.

A winner so far.

S~

From what I have read, MCACC is OK, but can't come close to Audyssey. I think the newer 64bit YPAO is good, but nothing out ther other than maybe Dirac is as good as XT32. Plus its hard to beat dual sub eq on the higher end models.

Thats where I have to decide if I want the upcoming Denon 6400 or the Yamaha A3070.

Called AVS Sales today and grabbed on of the last Yammie A3060's in stock for a great price. Will post some info when I get it in, this is my first Yamaha and first time now buying a D&M product in years.

my X4300H asked for an upgrade last night, but I hit 'later'. I know that they are advertising Alexa support in September. What is HLG?

my X4300H asked for an upgrade last night, but I hit 'later'. I know that they are advertising Alexa support in September. What is HLG?
Hybrid Log Gamma: It's a broadcast HDR standard used with youtube and freeview play. It's part of the ATSC 3.0 standard.

S~

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Denon AVR-S730H to replace my Onkyo TX-NR609. I have been hesitant to do this because the Onkyo 609 still sounds great to my non-audiophile ears and everything works perfectly except for the fact that it won't pass 4K or HDR. Up until now I have been connecting my PS4 Pro directly to the TV so I could get 4K and HDR in my games. I was using ARC to pass DD+ to the Onkyo from the PS4 and TV's built in apps. The Xbox One, Tivo, and Steam Link were connected to the Onkyo just like before. I was playing blu-rays through the Xbox so I could get lossless audio.

Things changed yesterday when I tried to use Cyber Monday to finally get a UHD blu-ray player. I looked at several models that had two HDMI ports so I wouldn't have to upgrade my AVR. They were all $150 or higher. Target happened to be running a deal on the Xbox One S for $160 so I decided to go that way for about the same price so I could get HDR in my games too. I wanted Dolby Vision support since my TV has it but all the players seem to just be promising that in a future update except for the expensive Oppo 203. I guess I'll just have to hope for an Xbox One S/X DV update or live without it.

I watched Valerian on UHD blu-ray last night and the picture/HDR looked great. I tried setting the Xbox One to decode the audio and then re-encode it to standard Dolby Digital because this is the only way to get 5.1 audio via ARC from my TV. This did give me 5.1 but unsurprisingly the audio sounded dull. I ordered the Denon first thing this morning so I can get my lossless audio back.

This will be my first Denon receiver and I hope I like it as much as my trusty Onkyo. It was on sale for quite a bit less than comparable Onkyo models and it already has DV support built in instead of needing a future update. I'm hoping it works well with HDR on the PS4 and Xbox One and doesn't introduce input lag since I play a lot of video games on my TV.

This will also be my first AVR with Dolby Atmos support. I only have a 5.1 speaker setup as of now but I might add 2 height speakers in the future. Will Dolby Atmos do anything in a 5.1 setup? From what I've read it sounds like it is really for height speakers. My rear speakers are parallel to the seating area instead of further back because my room doesn't allow for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: teachsac
I think you will like it. Congrats. I almost bit on the 6400 for my Theater room, but that sale didn't last long. By the time I got back on later in the day, it was back up to MSRP :(

Reactions: king3pj