Denver Apt intall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Hi all! We will be moving to the Denver area next spring and I'm a little concerned about my D* install. As some of you might have read in my previous post on Apt installs, I have a very understanding landlord who allowed me to place my dish on the facia board at the peak of my bldg roof. They let me drill a hole in the wall for the cable runs also. I know this will not be the case when we move. I'm fully prepared to use a bucket or a railing mount for the dish but what I'm really concerend about is the cable run. Any suggestions on how to run the cable without drilling a hole? I've heard about flat cable but know nothing about it or where to buy it. Help me out guys! I gotta have my ST and SF for my Skins games!! Tks in advance.---Ray

Last edited:
raymo721 said:
Hi all! We will be moving to the Denver area next spring and I'm a little concerned about my D* install. As some of you might have read in my previous post on Apt installs, I have a very understanding landlord who allowed me to place my dish on the facia board at the peak of my bldg roof. They let me drill a hole in the wall for the cable runs also. I know this will not be the case when we move. I'm fully prepared to use a bucket or a railing mount for the dish but what I'm really concerend about is the cable run. Any suggestions on how to run the cable without drilling a hole? I've heard about flat cable but know nothing about it or where to buy it. Help me out guys! I gotta have my ST and SF for my Skins games!! Tks in advance.---Ray
Raymo721,
Give this a try :
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=WRFC200
This is exactly designed for what you are doing and I have seen people with them
and have had no problems.

Jimbo

When you get to looking for apartments in Denver question the management companies about the policy for dishes. Look up you az and elev. so you know where the dish must face before starting to look for the apartment. Take the information into consideration when choosing an apartment.

Jimbos said:
Raymo721,
Give this a try :
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=WRFC200
This is exactly designed for what you are doing and I have seen people with them
and have had no problems.

Jimbo
Thanks Jimbo, I knew there was something out there and this will fit my needs perfectly. Any info on the durability?? Boba, I'm searching now and all the properties I'm interested in say "cable or Satellite" so I'm gonna ask for a unit with a clear view of the southern sky so it should be no prob. Finding a property with such a unit available might be the only glitch, but I'm gonna get preapproved to my favs and whoever has one available is where we'll live. Some of them even have 2 decks, one at each end of the unit so I'll have a view in 3 directions. As you can tell, this is a major priority! You guys are great! Thanks so much!--Ray

raymo721 said:
Thanks Jimbo, I knew there was something out there and this will fit my needs perfectly. Any info on the durability?? Boba, I'm searching now and all the properties I'm interested in say "cable or Satellite" so I'm gonna ask for a unit with a clear view of the southern sky so it should be no prob. Finding a property with such a unit available might be the only glitch, but I'm gonna get preapproved to my favs and whoever has one available is where we'll live. Some of them even have 2 decks, one at each end of the unit so I'll have a view in 3 directions. As you can tell, this is a major priority! You guys are great! Thanks so much!--Ray
As for durability, I personally have not used one, but I have spoke with people who have, they seem to not have any trouble, a few things to think about, instead of running thru a sliding glass door, where the door opens constantly, see if you can run it thru a window instead...
Also, seeing they are pretty reasonable price wise , you could always buy TWO and keep the spare with your D* stuff incase you need another one.

Jimbo

Last edited:
As for durability, I personally have not used one, but I have spoke with peole who have, they seem to not have any trouble, a few things to think about, instead of running thru a sliding glass door, where the door opens comstantly, see if you can run it thru a window instead...
Also, seeing they are pretty reasonable price wise , you could always buy TWO and keep the spare with your D* stuff incase you need another one.

Jimbo
Yeah, I already decided a window would be better, but with 2 Tivo's 1 HD I'll need more that 2! LOL Thanks guys!--Ray

3.99 a pop, I need to start selling these. I get them for .79 at my local sat distributor. I actually can't stand the flat coax's though. Service call waiting to happen.

Bah, I have some of those left over from when I was installing. Listed them on ebay on a 10cent listing day. Sold like one for $2.99. Total waste of my time!

just a heads up, flat cable is a bad idea in an apt where the door is going to be frequently traveled.(if there is no window in the patio/railing area) if youre using it through a window, be sure that there is plenty of slack on the wire before and after the flat cable. ive seen many of them pulled apart (theres one cold solder joint on each end) and once they tear, you have to replace it.

Thanks guys! I'm putting apts with a normal doorway to the balcony and a window at the top of the list instead of sliding glass doors. If I do end up with sliding doors, I've decided to run the cable from the dish to the nearest window.---Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)