Denver Locals Moving To Spot Beam

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hopefully "movers" in New Mexico will still get Denver after the move Are they moving the HD to the same spot beam and taking them off 129?

Last edited:
So it looks as if we "movers" in the east (for example, me, who moved from Denver to St. Pete when I got transfered) will be losing the Denver locals. Rats. I love 9 News...

Anyone have any idea if there is a way to hang onto the stations? Thanks for replying to a newbie!!

note Diahnetwork now has FCC approval for Distant Local networks

That said just move and get one of the big 4 networks when they become available . my distant networks is now history next month , just consider my distant networks has changed their name already

Don Paul

note Diahnetwork now has FCC approval for Distant Local networks

That said just move and get one of the big 4 networks when they become available . my distant networks is now history next month , just consider my distant networks has changed their name already

Don Paul
Are the Distant Local networks going to be HD and from what cities?

I wish it was the old days where you didn't need to worry about spotbeams or what locals you could get. So stupid about laws where you can't get locals from somewhere else.

There are thousands of local channels nationwide. That ties up a bunch of transponders on a satellite. If they were all CONUS, you would need many, many satellites to make that happen. These satellites cost hundreds of millions of dollars each. You have to make it worth it to even think about it as a provider. It ain't gonna happen....

We are talking about distant locals to help those that cannot receive spot beams .
The above said when is Dishnetwork going to offer Distant Locals on 72.7 sat to look after EA and 119 to look after Western Arc now that it has FCC clearance

Don paul

I could be wrong, but I do not think Dish will risk offering CONUS distants. They already lost their license one time because of issues giving them to people that did not qualify. Now that they serve all 210 markets (a condition of them getting their license back) they do not really have a need any more for CONUS except for the RV market. The RV market is probably too small for them to risk their license. They cannot offer distants to others since they serve all DMAs.

If a provider offers your DMA they cannot give you a distant except to fill in a missing network in your DMA. Since Dish now offers all DMAs they cannot offer distants to people that live out of range of locals OTA. They have to offer the stations assigned to the DMA.

AAD can offer distants everywhere since they do not offer LiL anywhere. It is a technicality that Dish has been using since they lost their license. Now that Dish has their license back, I expect that Dish will want their TPs back for other things.

I think that DISH should allow AAD to keep distant nets. Why not offer both? This way those who have all 4 nets in their locals pack can still get distants for west coast or east coast if they wanted. Rv owners especially would like to be able to have distant nets. Besides , unless DISH wants another lawsuit against them, I don't see how they can violate the contract and drop AAD.

Yes I Really doubt those of us living in Costa Rica or the islands need spot beams.
Yes you do, if only by reusing those spotbeam transponders. You can't have a conus transponder on spotbeam frequencies because that would interfere with spots aimed at conus.

I think that DISH should allow AAD to keep distant nets. Why not offer both? This way those who have all 4 nets in their locals pack can still get distants for west coast or east coast if they wanted. Rv owners especially would like to be able to have distant nets. Besides , unless DISH wants another lawsuit against them, I don't see how they can violate the contract and drop AAD.

I do not expect them to violate their contract with AAD. But, no one knows the contract terms with ADD. 2 TPs are incredibly valuable. On the WA Dish has has 50 TPs and 32 leased, they have about 1 billion dollars in satellites to cover these slots. This makes each TP worth about $12 million to Dish, just in equipment, not to mention there are no other TPs available. Is AAD paying enough to lease 24 million in assets vs the return Dish could get with the space?

So, when the contract comes up for renewal will Dish renew it? Maybe they will go down to just one TP. I suspect that the contract will probably go to the end of the year at least, because it will probably take that long for Dish to work out LiL of all the nets in all the DMAs. Maybe they will just carry HD since Dish will have a lot of SD only markets.

But, of course AAD is a separate company. I do not see Dish offering distants. The question is will they continue to lease TP space to AAD (or another company) to allow them to offer distants.

Here is some documentation relating to spot beams - one sentence in there seems to indicate that in some cases, spot beam signal strength may have an advantage over conus. Is that really true?

http://www.satelliteone.com/support-files/Spot_Beam_Short.pdf

High beam - Center area in a spot beam projection: customers located here will have the strongest spot beam signal strength (nearly as good, just as good, or better than the CONUS signal in the area). This area is approximately 300 miles in diameter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)