Detroit area HD install - 1000+ or not?

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Michigan
I've been reading various threads on this forum about the launch of Detroit locals recently, and that they are apparently on 119. I'm having a 622 installed on Friday, swapping out my 952; I currently have a dish pointed at 61.5 and a Dish 500.

I was hoping to get rid of both of these dishes (I don't do / need international) in favor of one 1000+, I think that is possible but not entirely sure... but I called Dish support yesterday to ask them if a 1000+ was on my work order, they said no but that my install was an "HD Update" so they would install whatever is necessary.

Should I replace my dishes with a 1000+? Do I really still need the 61.5? Should I push for this during the install?

NO keep the 61.5 sat dish Unless you have hd locals on the 129 sat. You will be much happier for all your hd channels. Do a search on the dish 1000 or the 129 satellite and you will see there are numerous problems with both.

MikeD-C05 said:
NO keep the 61.5 sat dish Unless you have hd locals on the 129 sat. You will be much happier for all your hd channels. Do a search on the dish 1000 or the 129 satellite and you will see there are numerous problems with both.
So are you saying that new HD subs are better off without the 1000 dish? My installer just surprised me with "we are out of 1000 dishes, I have to install 2 separate dishes for SD/HD."

So am I better off this way? (I'm in coastal Georgia).

Please note he is asking the 1000+ dish - with 118.7

You can use a 1000+ and have a single dish, or a 500+ and keep your 61.5

I haven't heard anything yet on the 129 reception on the 1000+, but if you have no objection to having two dishes I would keep the 61.5 over 129.

osu1991 said:
The Detroit HD locals are on 118.7 so a dish 1000+ would be required to receive hd locals via sat.

Yep this is exactly what I was worried about - the HD locals are on 118.7, and it sounds like I need a 1000+. Should I instruct the installer to replace the Dish 500 with the 1000+ and keep the 61.5? I already have two dishes and could keep both, if the 61.5 is needed for better reception/all HD (I'll have HD Bronze for now).

osu1991 said:
The Detroit HD locals are on 118.7 so a dish 1000+ would be required to receive hd locals via sat.

luckycat said:
Yep this is exactly what I was worried about - the HD locals are on 118.7, and it sounds like I need a 1000+. Should I instruct the installer to replace the Dish 500 with the 1000+ and keep the 61.5? I already have two dishes and could keep both, if the 61.5 is needed for better reception/all HD (I'll have HD Bronze for now).

And this info is wrong. A dish 500+ gets 118.7K as well as 110 and 119, which is what you need to get Detroit HD locals. The 1000+ adds 129 to the mix, same dish, just adds another LNB. You can still run a 500+ and a 61.5 dish just fine.

osu1991 said:
Yeah my bad I have dish 1000's on my mind. The 500+ and keep the 61.5 is the way to go.

Thanks for the update guys...got this is crazy. EDITED...OK, so I'll need likely just a 500+ or a 1000+. I'll check out what's on 129 to see if there is anything there of interest, but I don't think there will be.

Last edited:
I just checked out what I should have looked at in the first place, the full list of orbital locations and channels.

If I want just one dish, I need a 1000+, which would give me 129 for HD, as well as 118.75. If I get a 500+, I'll need to keep the HD so I get the mirrored HD on 61.5 instead of trying to pull it from 129 with the 1000+, which based on other feedback on this forum is a mixed bag.

So, I hope the installer comes by with a 500+, or 1000+ and I'll just keep my 61.5 for now.

If I'm upgrading from a 942 to a 622, should I expect Dish to do the right thing and give me a 500+ so I can get HD locals???

Last edited:
luckycat said:
I've been reading various threads on this forum about the launch of Detroit locals recently, and that they are apparently on 119. I'm having a 622 installed on Friday, swapping out my 952; I currently have a dish pointed at 61.5 and a Dish 500.

I was hoping to get rid of both of these dishes (I don't do / need international) in favor of one 1000+, I think that is possible but not entirely sure... but I called Dish support yesterday to ask them if a 1000+ was on my work order, they said no but that my install was an "HD Update" so they would install whatever is necessary.

Should I replace my dishes with a 1000+? Do I really still need the 61.5? Should I push for this during the install?

Well, Dish installers just left. They were very courteous as always - swapped out the 942 with the 622...but did not have a 500+ or 1000+. Thank goodness the installer knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the 118.75, Detroit HD locals, and the need for a new dish.

He called Dish, and played operator roulette himself. On the 3rd try he got someone who actually knew what was up with the plus dishes, and HD locals...so I have an appointment for next Friday to get a 1000+ installed, pole mounted, free of charge.

I'll add this - I called dish THREE TIMES, speaking to three CSRs, prior to today - and asked each one "Will my 622 update include a Dish 500 or 1000+ so I can get my Detroit HD locals"...each one said "Yes, you will get all equipment that you need to get these free of charge." Obviously WRONG.

I'm not mad about this because the installer at least knew what was up, and after I told him I just didn't want to be charged for the plus upgrade he was persistent with Dish to get another install scheduled. So, we'll see what happens..but the lesson is that you won't get always what you need to maximize your HD potential unless you really know what you're talking about, and at least have an installer who knows what's up who will work with you.

I spoke too soon about a "smooth" installation minus the 1000+... when they scheduled my 1000+ appt, they removed my Detroit locals...tying that to the scheduled 1000+ install. Sorry if I'm ranting/venting through this forum, but in the end the tried and proven CSR roulette is a way to circumvent a lot of bullsh@t.

So, I called Dish... asked if they could re-add my locals (along with HD Bronze, that I was successfully switched to)... the person on the line he could only do that if they cancelled the order,added locals, then added a new order for the 1000+. I asked "can you do that?" He seemed hesitant which should have been my clue to not proceed...but without locals, my wife was going to slay me without the ability to see what is on the locals in the EPG. So I said fine, do it if we can just re-create the 1000+ order; he said fine,but he would have to transfer me to a technician to re-create the order, he added locals, cancelled the order, and transferred me, where I was on hold for about 20 min. before DISCONNECT. :mad:

I called up Dish immediately after, directing myself to the Technical Support line. After explaining the situation, he said he couldn't do anything about it, and I would need to call back in a couple of weeks. BULL! I said that's crazy, I already had a 1000+ install scheduled...so he had me on hold for about 15 min. again while he escalated it up to "executive support". He came back, and said everything was all set.

WRONG. :mad: :confused: A couple of hours later I checked my EPG. Locals were there, but all HD channels were red! I called Dish, again, explained the situation. I got very lucky, spoke to a guy who has been with Dish for eons. He said the new system disallows them from making programming changes if there is an outstanding work order, but a new system is coming aboard that will theoretically let them do this. However he confirmed that the prior tech support guy gave me AT60! And then said that he knows of a trick - use of an old system that they are not supposed to use anymore - to turn on HD Bronze without doing anything with the word order. Sure enough, within 15 minutes, I had HD Bronze, he managed to keep my locals, and I still have a 1000+ install scheduled for next friday.:D

So - morale of the story - Dish systems suck (at least now), the front-line support people suck (coincidentally I think the 1st guy was in another country), but if you keep trying you can get a CSR in the technical support department who may be able to actually help you out without hurting you.

One note to Dish if you are reading, customer support should be about helping people solve their problems - I don't want to hear, as I did with the 1st support person, that it almost makes them go through pains and inconveniences to help me out. I swear I thought I was the customer support rep for this looser. Nor do I want to hear all the sh*t they need to go through to give me, the customer, what I want (and what I'm paying for). The 2nd and 3rd support folks were seemingly OK...3rd especially (just lucky)...but gimme a break, what a hassle.

I just hope the 1000+ shows up in a week.

Claude Greiner said:
I would install the 1000 Plus and not use the 129 LNB, get your HD from 61.5 instead!

I already have a 61.5... if a 1000+ is added, can both be used, and will the receiver pick up the best signal from the two? Or can one of the lnbfs be removed if I don't want 129 from the 1K+ (SO I leave it open as an option, instead of doing a 500+).

luckycat said:
I already have a 61.5... if a 1000+ is added, can both be used, and will the receiver pick up the best signal from the two? Or can one of the lnbfs be removed if I don't want 129 from the 1K+ (SO I leave it open as an option, instead of doing a 500+).
Unfortunately not. The 1000+ needs all 4 inputs (110, 118.75, 119, 129) on the dp44+ so you get either 129 or 61.5. My install for tomorrow was canceled due to no 1000+/500+'s in the warehouse. They rescheduled me for the 29th.

luckycat said:

Have them install the 1000 Plus and just swap the 129 feed with the 61.5 feed on the Switch after the installer leaves.

scooby2 said:
Unfortunately not. The 1000+ needs all 4 inputs (110, 118.75, 119, 129) on the dp44+ so you get either 129 or 61.5. My install for tomorrow was canceled due to no 1000+/500+'s in the warehouse. They rescheduled me for the 29th.

Since your in Howell your getting some of my co-workers out of the Wixom LSC, I was told earlier today we'll be getting some, I say "some" 500+/1000+ equipment in next week.

Alot of jobs have been rescheduled because of this. I hope you are aware your only going to be getting (I believe) 3 different HD locals with this dish.

Last edited:
luckycat said:

Your limitation is within the 44 switch, only four satellites coming in not five. I'd elect use of a 500+ and keep your 61.5.

Claude Greiner said:
Have them install the 1000 Plus and just swap the 129 feed with the 61.5 feed on the Switch after the installer leaves.

That's exactly what I was wondering about...if the 129 proves to be pathetic, which after reading the 35 page thread on the 500+, 1000+ and 1000.2, I would hope to simply swap the 129 w/61.5 feed.

Last edited:
rcdallas said:
Since your in Howell your getting some of my co-workers out of the Wixom LSC, I was told earlier today we'll be getting some, I say "some" 500+/1000+ equipment in next week.

Alot of jobs have been rescheduled because of this. I hope you are aware your only going to be getting (I believe) 3 different HD locals with this dish.
Yes I'm aware Dish only has 3 channels for Detroit right now. I currently can only get one channel decently OTA - WLNS (CBS) from Lansing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts