Detroit Tigers 2008

Just read this article, which brought me back to this thread, ugh, no news yet:

DETROIT -- Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya left Sunday's 6-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox in the eighth inning with tightness in his right triceps.

Zumaya pitched 1 1/3 innings before departing, accompanied by trainer Kevin Rand, after Orlando Cabrera hit a flyball to right with a runner on first for the first out of the eighth.

Zumaya, who was listed as day to day, returned last month after offseason shoulder surgery. He also underwent surgery last season for a ruptured tendon in his right middle finger.

"I'm very frustrated now, very frustrated," Zumaya said. "I've been through a lot and being set back ticks me off."

ESPN/AP

"My arm is very good now, very strong," Rodney said.

Like Jones, Rodney said he was surprised when Leyland told him of the move on Saturday. But he also thinks it could help him.

"It's a little bit different for me," Rodney said.

How quickly he and Zumaya can bounce back will make a difference, too. Zumaya said he had been feeling the triceps tightness for the last few days, but that it worsened to the point where it affected his performance Sunday. After retiring the side in order on five pitches in the seventh, he walked the leadoff man in the eighth before Orlando Cabrera flew out on a first-pitch fastball. Head athletic trainer Kevin Rand came out after that, and Zumaya left the game without any warmup tosses.

"I've been throwing, and it gradually spasmed up," Zumaya said.

The Tigers listed Zumaya as day-to-day but don't think the injury is serious. That's not much consolation for Zumaya, who was clearly frustrated after the game.

"I'm very frustrated right now," he said. "Very frustrated. I've been through a lot, and being set back again, it frustrates me a lot. I've been on the shelf, and it gets old being on the shelf."

Rodney to close; setback for Zumaya | Tigers.com: News

Tigers falling apart once again ....
They have an oppertunity and just don't play ball.
This team is going nowhere.
Once again , more lackadasical baseball.

Jimbo

I dont know, how does it taste in last place??
AL central Champs to last..Nice..

How does it taste burning that $38,685,197 payroll? 2nd highest in the MLB btw.

In all honesty, both teams have been a major disappointment this year, but inter-divisional rivalry games such as tonights makes this season a tad more bearable.

It is not my money, so I could care less who spent what..
Am I disappointed in this team, HELL YEA. Will they be ok? Yes they will..

How does it taste burning that $38,685,197 payroll? 2nd highest in the MLB btw.

In all honesty, both teams have been a major disappointment this year, but inter-divisional rivalry games such as tonights makes this season a tad more bearable.

It is not my money, so I could care less who spent what..
Am I disappointed in this team, HELL YEA. Will they be ok? Yes they will..

I agree, money is not the issue. What will help is if the Twins win tonight, that basically removes another game from the schedule.
Tigers have wasted way to many game this year to realistically expect to make it.

Jimbo

Final: Indians blank Tigers 5-0.

Tigers shutout for the 11th time this season. Coincidently, tonight is the 11th shutout thrown by Tribe pitching this year.

Crafty 37 year-old Paul Byrd gets the win. What a performance! 7.2 innings, 4 hits, 0 ER.

Tigers shutout for the 11th time this season. Coincidently, tonight is the 11th shutout thrown by Tribe pitching this year.

Crafty 37 year-old Paul Byrd gets the win. What a performance! 7.2 innings, 4 hits, 0 ER.

You have to take your victories seriosly , seeing you may be lucky enough to stay ahead of KC after trading your team away this year ...:D

Jimbo

Hooray for you. Still in last place?

Hey Jimbo, you must be happy now that Jones is apparently done being the closer. Not so sure Rodney is an upgrade, but I'm off the Jones band wagon after Friday's heartbreaker. (I was there). Never seen 42, 000 fans turn on a player like that. We were all standing and screaming for the 3rd strike, and for a moment Jones was god. A few pitches later, everybody was on him like white on rice. Loudest booing I've ever heard.

Hey Jimbo, you must be happy now that Jones is apparently done being the closer. Not so sure Rodney is an upgrade, but I'm off the Jones band wagon after Friday's heartbreaker. (I was there). Never seen 42, 000 fans turn on a player like that. We were all standing and screaming for the 3rd strike, and for a moment Jones was god. A few pitches later, everybody was on him like white on rice. Loudest booing I've ever heard.

Is Todd Jones the new Brad Lidge? (Lidge has turned out to be really good in Philly- I'm talking about the Lidge in Houston)

Sabre, I don't see Jones going far since he is 40 years old. Besides, I make it even money that he's the closer in Detroit again, before the season is over. We really don't have anybody else right now, Rodney is not the answer, and Zumaya is not ready for the job either.

Well, I'm not HAPPY for him, I'm never happy when a player loses his job like that, but I do think the Tigers will be better over all, but I agree , I don't think Rodnay is the answer either ... everyone knows with Rodney, it's just wait for his change up and hit it hard, he's too wild with his fastball.

I think it will be Zumaya eventually next year, unless they go out and get someone.
There was a little talk that they were looking at Fuentes, but I haven't heard much about it since then. I think the Rockies are asking way too much for him.

You may see Jones come in and pitch several innings in relief, before the 7-8-9th

jimbo

Last edited:
Good win Kitties. You got us this time.

That Rodney character is awfully risky though. If he didn't throw for a strike, he wasn't even close. I can't imagine having to depend on that guy for a close game. Not that the Tribe has anything better than Rodney as a closer, but just saying....

Good win Kitties. You got us this time.

That Rodney character is awfully risky though. If he didn't throw for a strike, he wasn't even close. I can't imagine having to depend on that guy for a close game. Not that the Tribe has anything better than Rodney as a closer, but just saying....

I don't expect Rodney too be there long as a closer.
Zumaya or Dolsi fit the bill better.

Jimbo

Behold, the Worst Sportscaster Ever!

Patriots/Colts- One Year Later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts