Detroit Tigers 2008

My God, what an exciting game!

5 hours and 33 minutes, 13 innings, Tigers win 14-12.

Cliff Lee had an 8-1 lead at one point in the game, but must've got complacent with the lead. Either way, he didn't look as sharp as every other game I've seen him in this year. In the end, the bullpen blew the win and victory for Lee. I'm really beginning to despise this bullpen of ours!

The Tribe was up 11-8 in the 8th, before the Tigers scored 4 to take the lead 12-11 going into the bottom of the 9th. Shoppach homered in the 9th for the Tribe to tie things up and send this into the weee hours of the morning....

Would you like to swap bull pens ?

Jimbo

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say they gave away Pudge... they did get a reliever who di pitch very well here in '05. Pudge was gone after this season after all. That writining was on the wall after last season, when they signed him for this season. They had no other choice at that time. Time will tell how Farnsworth works out, but given the current state of the bullpen, he can't help but help.

I would like to take a moment to thank Pudge for what he did for us. Over 4 seasons without a trip to the DL. (Try to remember he came here with a bad back, and his contract had waivers involving his back.) He also hit .297 while here. But most of all, he gave the Tigers credibility, coming here a season after 119 losses. (And he left a world series champion, of course that king's ransom of a contract didn't hurt, either!) No Pudge, no Maggs, etc... I guess what I'm trying to say is that the turnaround all started with him, and he gave his all every game. So thanks, Pudge, I for one will miss you.

As for this season, I don't see this as "packing it in." You can't pack it in when you're only 5 1/2 games out, with 2 months, and a lot of games to play within your division. Let me point out that 2 yrs. ago the Twins were 10 games out, behind the Tigers, and we all remember what happened in September, and who ended up winning the division. We desperately needed some bullpen help, and NY was a suitable trade partner. (Let's just hope Pudge doesn't bite us in the ass in a possible playoff matchup!) There are still questions to be answered at SS and Robertson's every second start pitching performance. (Just what does it take to be demoted to the bullpen these days?) Maybe it's time to give Zumaya a crack at the rotation, since we do seem to have one reliever too many now. Packing it in? No, I see this as just the opposite.

I agree with everything you said about Pudge, without him, I doubt the others would have followed him to Detroit.

As for Farnsworth, we can't go anywhere but up , but I expect very little from him.
He's another 40 year old pitcher, one we actually traded away 10 years ago.
As I recall, HE decided to leave.
I just have my doubts about him.
btw, how do you like Todd Jones now ???
Rodney has come in and given up 2 HR's in consecutive nights, but I don't hear everyone booing him to the showers.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

care to contribute to some of my new threads?

"Toughest players from your favorite team" and 'Useless players on your favorite team.'

Bob Probert and Charles Rogers ring a bell?

Tigers continue to lose games they should win ....
They could be in first place by now if they had won half the games they should have won this past 2 weeks.
If not in 1st then at least close behind the Twins.

Tigers are officially done.

Jimbo

Tigers continue to lose games they should win ....
They could be in first place by now if they had won half the games they should have won this past 2 weeks.
If not in 1st then at least close behind the Twins.

Tigers are officially done.

Jimbo

I would agree! Saturday night was the final one for me!

It's time to cut the dead wood around here: Rodney, Renteria, Sheffield and Jones all need to go NOW. I don't care what Sheffield has done since the break; too little, too late.
What the hell was Leyland doing while Rodney was giving away the game yesterday afternoon? Picking his nose? Lets recap his inning. Walk, tried to kill a hitter, gave up a hit, and then after he walked the bases full, walked in the winning run. This one is on Leyland and as much as Rodney. This is the kind of stupid sh*t I expect at Ford Field, not Comerica. This team has been more disappointing than the Lions. Those of you that know me, know how I feel about the Lions. At least with them I expect to be disappointed, But this team has (had?) talent, and the everyone in baseball expected them to contend. They are, instead, the epitome of underachievement. Just sad.

Go Lions, and take the Tigers with you.

What this boiled down to is what EVERYONE IN BASEBALL KNEW IT WOULD.. Our pitching!!!

It has been terrible all season.
Time to start modeling ourselves after the Twins...

Look at what this team is accomplishing..Forget all these high Priced players, they just don't cut it.

If I were Illitch, I would be pulling my hair out. I won't be surprised to see a change in the financial direction next season. We do have an excellent scouting staff. Look for some of this over-priced talent to be sent packing. Some of the best playing we did this season was all spurred by the talent brought up from AAA. (Joyce being the most prominent).
You are absolutely correct about the pitching. Bondo goes down, Zumaya went down, and Rogers may be circling the drain. The bullpen was a strength in the first 6 weeks, and a huge negative since. In my opinion Leyland has been to loyal to his players (Sheffield and Renteria) and to his coach's,beyond reason. The hitting coach really needs to go. Another thing I don't understand is, 3 weeks ago Rodney was all but gone from Detroit, and now he's are closer?

As I see it...the Tigers are about 6-days from deciding their season.

I think their season was decided last weekend.
They DO have a series with the White Sox yet, coming up, if they don't sweep them, and they won't, they will be 10 out by then.
Of course the Twins are in 1st place now and have no desire to give it up.
They have done a phenominal job after loosing Santana and Torii Hunter over the winter and now Liriano is back an pitched well the other night, so look out AL Central ....
Anybody but the Sox ....

Jimbo

Gotta root for the Twins. Any team who can lose a Cy Young pitcher in Johan Santana and a Gold Glove All Star in Tori Hunter and still compete for the division has my respect!

One major reason on why the Twins have succeeded instead of the Indians and Tigers this year all boils down to one thing: the bullpen. The Tigers and Indians don't have a closer. The Twins have Joe Nathan. Nuff said.

Gotta root for the Twins. Any team who can lose a Cy Young pitcher in Johan Santana and a Gold Glove All Star in Tori Hunter and still compete for the division has my respect!

One major reason on why the Twins have succeeded instead of the Indians and Tigers this year all boils down to one thing: the bullpen. The Tigers and Indians don't have a closer. The Twins have Joe Nathan. Nuff said.

I'm not going to root for the Twinkies anytime soon, but that organization has always had my respect. They always seem to be in the thick of things as long as I can remember. Definitely some of the best scouts in baseball. They just keep coming upwith great talent every year.

Back to the Tigers - Make or break against the Sox. They need a sweep to get back in the race. Anything less won't end the season, but will prompt the "fat lady" to start warming her cords. If they get swept, well "stick a fork in 'em".

I'm not going to root for the Twinkies anytime soon, but that organization has always had my respect. They always seem to be in the thick of things as long as I can remember. Definitely some of the best scouts in baseball. They just keep coming upwith great talent every year.

Back to the Tigers - Make or break against the Sox. They need a sweep to get back in the race. Anything less won't end the season, but will prompt the "fat lady" to start warming her cords. If they get swept, well "stick a fork in 'em".

Looking good so far for the Tigers, up 6-2 against the W. Sox in the 6th, but you all know, the bullpen has yet to get involved. :D

jimbo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)