Detroit VOOM installations

stormy

Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Detroit VOOM installation

Have been thinking of trying VOOM in the Detroit area, before I give up my Dish Network. Anyone around have experiences in my area etc.

Yep, I'm in the Detroit area (east side of detroit near grosse pointe) and have had Voom for a week now.

The local installers were very good -- 2 young guys from Don Lors Electronics. I already have a roof-top antenna so they hooked that up for me instead of the Stealth (although they left the stealth for me). They ran separate lines for the antenna and satellite and did not use a diplexer.

After turning my antenna around in the right direction (toward Southfield) I can get all the local digital channels except for the WB, which Voom does not yet have mapped. I've sent my request in through Sean to get that mapped so hoppefully it will come on soon.

Overall I'm pretty happy but do not like the set top box which has super slow channel changes and freezes up every now and again. Allegedly the new software push -- due in a week or so -- should clear this up and then I will be very happy.

Voom in Detroit, MI

The only local specific issues I have are:

1. Local Fox station looses HD signal often. I don't understand this since I live only appox. 7 miles from the broadcast ant.

4/26 update. I now get FOX fine. We merely raised the Stealth antenna higher (orignally approx 12 feet at near the gutter line) to just below the ridge line of the second story roof.

2. WB still not broadcasting in digital?

Repost

Just had my Voom installed today.

The installer called me around 10:30 asking if I would be ok with him coming in a half hour, had a 12-5 install window, I told him that would be great. He showed up about 45 minutes later.

The dish and stealth went up in the south east corner of the house, and he ran them down into the basement. The holes drilled into the house were sealed neatly.

Hookup was done via a diplexer, I made no mention not to use it.

Connection to the TV was made by me (nobody touches my TV but me )

Everything was working very well except for my local NBC station.

I took out the diplexer and hooked the antena up directly...no improvement.

I climbed onto the roof and adjust the antena...now I get all my OTA stations flawlessly...even the QVC like station that is 23 miles from me.

I was a little nervous that NBC wasn't coming in, being that is the reason I got rid of my digital cable because they don't carry NBC in HD for some reason, nor UPN.

Overall image quality is easily on par with my digital cable, but so far I don't have any of the programing guide or anything downloaded...how long should that take? Do I need to be in stand-by or watching the TV?

FYI I'm only 5-7 miles from my CBS, PBS, ABC, UPN, WB, FOX, and NBC stations...so the stealth seems to be more then fine.

bestspartan said:
The only local specific issues I have are:

1. Local Fox station looses HD signal often. I don't understand this since I live only appox. 7 miles from the broadcast ant.

2. WB still not broadcasting in digital?

Fox comes in great for me.

I think WB is broadcasting in digital but for some reason Voom does not have it mapped. I sent in a request through Sean but I think we will just have to wait for the next software push which should allow us to scan for local channels. I bet we can pick it up then.

The only issue I'm having now is that I think I need to peak my dish a bit better as my signals aren't that strong. I haven't had any signal drops at all so I could probably just leave it as is -- but I think a signal pwer of 65 and quality of 80 is very low.

Don Lor did mine also, very nice job.

I'm in Green Oak(where????), its just outside of South Lyon, I'm a block outside of Oakland County near 10 mile and Dixboro.

I'm around 30 miles from Southfield due west down 96 and occasionally one local will not work, might have to flip back. I knew I was on the edge as this was my experience when I just had OTA but Voom promised to put up whatever antenna I needed, I just haven't been home en ough for it to be an issue.

If you have cable though, keep it since weekday Wings games are only on ESPN and not avaialble but Voom.

However someone told me that CBC Channel 9 is going HD, anyone else heard this? I could do without ESPN if I had that.

Don Lors Electronics

Hello everyone do you guys have the number and location of the Don Lors Electronics? I live in Saint Clair county right near the Saint clair river and I want a competent instaler and it sounds like you guys have had good luck with them.. Thanks Slick

Slick said:
Hello everyone do you guys have the number and location of the Don Lors Electronics? I live in Saint Clair county right near the Saint clair river and I want a competent instaler and it sounds like you guys have had good luck with them.. Thanks Slick

Here you go.......

Don-Lor's Electronics
(248) 477-6402
31625 8 Mile Rd
Livonia, MI

I am glad these guys have a good write up, they are scheduled to do my install this Wed. I am also glad to hear they will possibly run seperate OTA and VOOM cabling it needed or requested but Im not sure if its really necessary. They seem to know what they are doing, were they good with HD in general? We shall see, Im located in West Bloomfield so Im close to alot of brocasts, which I think come outta Southfield. I got my TV this past weekend.....and Leno looks great OTA...I cant wait for more 1080I 16:9. Do you all notice similar TOP grade picture with VOOM??

Hey there Detroit VoOmers how are ya? I just ordered my new home theater system yesterday and have been trying to decide to Voom or not to Voom and have decided to go with it so how is things going with Detroit voomers? Are you all happy with your OTA channels? I am 45 miles from southfeild towers according to attenaweb site, so I am going to get Voom to give me the upgraded antenna..

Hey elite how did your install go?
Cya Slick

I'm still happy with Voom except I am experiencing pretty bad rain/cloud fade.

They are coming out to install a larger dish tomorrow (either 24" or 30" I'm not sure). Hopefully that will take care of it otherwise I will be dropping Voom.

I get great OTA signals for all locals except the WB, which is not yet mapped in the Voom box. The next software update (due soon) is supposed to allow us to scan for local channels so hopefully we can get the WB then.

I got my 30" dish installed today. Now my signal quality is up to 96-97, so hopefully rain/cloud fade won't be an issue anymore.

Hey there RollerFink I just ordered Voom yesterday and I have a install date of June 3, do you think I should call Voom and tell them I need the 30" dish instead of the stock one they put up?

I just wanna save us all some trouble by nipping it in the butt early.. Well I am looking forward to be Voomin here Soon.. I hope Voom gets the WB mapped pretty soon because I enjoy watching Smallville. Cya Slick

Most other people seem to be fine with the 18" dish, I'm not sure why I was having problems. I'd wait and see how it goes. If you aren't getting signal quality in the 90's -- or if it drops out a lot in clouds and rain, then I would definitely ask for the bigger dish.

Ota Antenna

Hello there Detroit Voomers I had my Voom installed the other day by Dn Lors and they did a great Job, and I love voom so far but I have one question.. What OTA antenna did they use on your instalations? I am having trouble getting my OTA channels from Detroit which I am 47 miles away, I can get 2,4,7, at night and thats about it, during the day forget about it..

Sean on this site helped me try to figure out which one to buy but I would like to find out what OTA they used before I go and buy another one.. This is what I know it is a Winegard and it says amplified on the antenna itself and there is no pre amp in the rg6 cable between the antenna and my tv just a splitter.. The description of the antenna it looks just like a 2' wing with the same pole mount as the dish.. ANY IDEAS? Thanks guys Cya Slick

Slick,

are you sure that during the day time those stations are not off? You might want to check with the engineers to see why you lose reception in the day time.

Slick said:
Hello there Detroit Voomers I had my Voom installed the other day by Dn Lors and they did a great Job, and I love voom so far but I have one question.. What OTA antenna did they use on your instalations? I am having trouble getting my OTA channels from Detroit which I am 47 miles away, I can get 2,4,7, at night and thats about it, during the day forget about it..

Sean on this site helped me try to figure out which one to buy but I would like to find out what OTA they used before I go and buy another one.. This is what I know it is a Winegard and it says amplified on the antenna itself and there is no pre amp in the rg6 cable between the antenna and my tv just a splitter.. The description of the antenna it looks just like a 2' wing with the same pole mount as the dish.. ANY IDEAS? Thanks guys Cya Slick
At 47 miles you need to get an antenna upgrade from VOOM. Many seem to have gotten either an upgraded Winegard or a Channel Master 4228 with a Channel Master 777 pre-amp. Call VOOM and they will set you up with an antenna upgrade with your installer. Often because of atmospheric conditions at night digital channels will come in at night but not during the daytime.... not uncommon. With a better antenna you should be able to get all your channels day or night. Tell VOOM you want the Channel Master setup.....

The Detroit channels all boadcast during the day. We still can't get WB due to Voom's mapping error but that should be fixed with the next software push.

I had a roof-top antenna already on my roof from the previous owner. Voom hooked it up for me and it works great -- but I'm within 15 miles of the towers.

Thanks guys

I called voom before my install to make sure that I got the upgraded antenna but I think I got the stealth, instead O well I will call Voom and have them upgrade it to the channel master.. I was just trying to avoid extra holes in my roof because it is brand new.. Right now I can get channel 7 during the day for about 10 min at a time then it's gone again.. I have been watching the off air signal power and signal quality and it flucuates a lot during the day..

Well thanks guys I will be talking to ya.. Cya Slick

Software upgrade

Rollerfink when is that software upgrade? I know I seen it posted here some were but I forgot, was it in october?

Sean I found where you posted the Monster channle Movie library thanks for that and all your guys help.. "MONSTER CHANNEL RULES" Cya Slick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)