Voom In North Carolina

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kickor

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Voom in NC

Well, much to the chagrin of my wife ... I'm in. Install is set up for the 17th. Can't wait.

I'm curious if there is anyone else that has Voom in southeastern North Carolina (or anyone in NC for that matter) and how their install went. I have had bad dealings with Installs Inc. in the past. Also, what success have people had with OTA reception in NC. Thanks guys.

Kickor,

Welcome to the forum. I am not in North Carolina but I suggest you to get in touch with the installer. Install Inc will not give you the installer number but they will let the installer know that you would like to speak to him; get in touch with him/her to find out whether the equipment arrives on time or not and to make sure that the installer keeps the appointment.

I know it sounds ridiculous that we the customer to keep tag of all of these things but I have read so many bad stories (including my own) about Install Inc that it is better to get control of the situation instead of having Install Inc control it.

Again welcome to the forum and let us know your installation goes. If you need help, just post.

Thanks. I actually got a local number and the name of my installer in an e-mail today (I guess this is unusual). I will post my experiences next week.

My install in Charlotte went without a hitch. I have always done self installs of my DirecTV dish as I've moved over the years so I was able to help the guy out quite a bit.

My OTA mapping was a little hosed up for a couple of weeks but after emailing that Wilt fellow on the Yahoo Voom forum and giving him my zip code followed by a factory reset of the STB I now have them all.

I'm still using DirecTV for most SD, ESPN-HD and HBO-HD at this point but VOOM is 2 thumbs up from my experience.

hornmdt,

Welcome to the forum! I am glad that you had a successful install. After you sent the e-mail to Wilt, did you do the factory reset immediatey or how long you waited before doing it?

Well, here goes again (first post did not show up)

Anyway, My locals were still not working about ten days after contacting Wilt. Then I read on this or this Yahoo Voom forum that I needed to go into the hidden service menu and do a factory reset to make it take. Sure enough, 5 minutes after doing the factory reset all my locals were working properly.

Hi,
I am near Hickory (35miles NW of CLT) and my install is scheduled for Dec 17th. Got a call last night from the installer (Ross Satellite somewhere near Charlotte) and he seemed very knowledgable. Guess we will see how the install goes.

Mark

Wow a lot of guys from N.C. Welcome 9thtee to the forum and let us know how your installation goes.

This is very good that the installer is calling the customer and keeping communication open. It looks like they have learned from their past mistakes and this is a good sign that the installations nightmares we heard before are not happening anymore! Go VOOM...

I'm in Winston-Salem. Installer was out of Greensboro and was fine. He ran second cable to OTA antenna and came at night to complete installation. (He left at 1030.) Two problems (1) The first receiver didn't work. The second one, delivered several days later, did. (2) I receive only one local, WFMY. I fear this is a result of both mapping issues (I hooked up an indoor antenna and couldn't receive WXII, which I get with no trouble through Dish receiver) and an inadequate antenna (I hooked the Voom OTA antenna to my Dish receiver and did a little better but I'm still missing a lot of locals). Unlike many big cities, the towers here are in all different directions, but the antenna doesn't move. In any case, I called CS last night and they said they had some problems with the stations. I'll give them awhile but will try resetting now and then. Anyone else in the Triad?

compson said:
I'm in Winston-Salem. Installer was out of Greensboro and was fine. He ran second cable to OTA antenna and came at night to complete installation. (He left at 10:30.) Two problems: (1) The first receiver didn't work. The second one, delivered several days later, did. (2) I receive only one local, WFMY. I fear this is a result of both mapping issues (I hooked up an indoor antenna and couldn't receive WXII, which I get with no trouble through Dish receiver) and an inadequate antenna (I hooked the Voom OTA antenna to my Dish receiver and did a little better but I'm still missing a lot of locals). Unlike many big cities, the towers here are in all different directions, but the antenna doesn't move. In any case, I called CS last night and they said they had some problems with the stations. I'll give them awhile but will try resetting now and then. Anyone else in the Triad?

compson

Welcome! Another guy from NC. Before trying the factory reset procedure, outline HERE, send Wilt an e-mail regarding your OTA mapping problem? After that you may do the factory reset procedure.

Hi, i live in eastern NC & just got voom on Fri. 4/2/04 & had a great install with a 4 tv hook up,so far i really like voom :yes anyone else in NC tryed voom yet?

I live just north of Wilmington and only had the dish installed. The install company is waiting for some big pow-wow to decide which OTA antenna they are going to install since the Stealth did diddly. So far the HD is great but I'm still hanging on to Dish for network (sans ABC). What part of eastern NC are you?

OTA Reception

I'm in Pinehurst, about 70 miles south of Raleigh. Does anyone know if I have any chance of getting OTA reception?

TIA
Vin

Voom Installed near Greenville

I just had Voom installed this week. I am located just south of Greenville, less than 8 miles from the tower of WNCT and WITN. The WCTI tower is about 28 miles from here. I get the first two perfectly and the last sporadically. They installed the stealth on a pre-existing pole I had here. The pole is near ground-level and there are some tall pine trees around. Would a different antenna or relocation to a higher spot help more?

The installation was great and so far, I love the service. I only wish I got the signal from the WCTI tower since it represents ABC and UPN here.

Eastern NC OTA

I just got off the phone with the customer service folks and they will be upgrading my OTA antenna. Any other folks having success failure with channels in the area? Anyone know the best antenna for this situation?

thinking about getting Voom. I am in Charlotte.

what about local channels?

email me if ya want.....sorta on the fence about getting it...

I'm in Chapel Hill - got Voom a little over a month ago and have been very pleased. Install went without a hitch (although I already had an exisiting OTA set-up).

Convinced my parents to get Voom - their install is coming up this week (but they're in Little Rock, AR).

agregjones said:
I just got off the phone with the customer service folks and they will be upgrading my OTA antenna. Any other folks having success failure with channels in the area? Anyone know the best antenna for this situation?

The best antenna will depend very much on where you are. North Carolina is a big state! Go to Antennaweb and enter your full address and it will show you what to expect. If your stations are all in yellow or green or are less than 30 miles away then the basic antenna supplied by Voom will probably work.

I'm near Greenville, NC. All of my stations are in the green, but they installed the stealth only six feet off the ground with numerous trees. They will be installing the new one on the rooftop (25-30 feet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)