DG380 motor and Winegard DS-3101

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Yurek99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Ottawa
I just got DG380 motor from Sadoun to replace STAB 120, which developed some wobbling. Shipping was fast and may happiness ends there.

To my disappointment, DG 380 is not able to move Winegard DS-3101 (22lb), but according with specs, this motor should be able to move dish up to 1.2 m and 33 lb. I spent quite few hours trying to find out what is wrong, but on the end it was a dish. I need really strong help to move antenna just a few degree.

Did I get a lemon, or this is normal for this motor?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
My Fortec 1.2M is 31 lbs and the DG380 works just fine between 72 and 129W, so maybe you got a lemon. Since the motor has an auto backlash adjustment , there may be something loose that is screwing up your torque. The few times that the system has gone crazy and ended up pointing at the ground, I've had to manually help it back in the center of the arc. I'd call Sadoun for support, they may have some ideas.

I have the exact same set up. DG380 with a Winegard DS-3101. Works great, for me.

Does the motor move the dish at all?

Only if I 'help it' pushing dish up and in direction of the movement.
If I only push buttons, motor doesn't move at all.

few questions:

Of course, check with Sadoun, but have ready the answers to these questions:
- how long is your coax?
- what type of coax are you using?
- are there any switches between the receiver and the motor?
- which receiver are you using to power the motor?
- is it the same receiver you used before?
- have you measured the voltage on the coax? should be around 12 or 18 out at the LNB.
- what is your latitude? (never mind: Ottawa )
- could the motor mechanism be too tight due to shipping, setup, or the anti-backlash? (Sadoun can help you determine that)
- is your dish/mount rubbing on the motor at all?
- it's possible a damaged coax connector has a high resistance...

Anyway, I'm sure there are more trouble shooting questions, but these are the ones that came to mind right off.
But I think it comes down to one of two things: low voltage, or friction.
Wishing you all the best with that motor, and do snap us some pictures! - :up

Of course, check with Sadoun, but have ready the answers to these questions:
- how long is your coax?
- what type of coax are you using?
- are there any switches between the receiver and the motor?
- which receiver are you using to power the motor?
- is it the same receiver you used before?
- have you measured the voltage on the coax? should be around 12 or 18 out at the LNB.
- what is your latitude? (never mind: Ottawa )
- could the motor mechanism be too tight due to shipping, setup, or the anti-backlash? (Sadoun can help you determine that)
- is your dish/mount rubbing on the motor at all?
- it's possible a damaged coax connector has a high resistance...

Anyway, I'm sure there are more trouble shooting questions, but these are the ones that came to mind right off.
But I think it comes down to one of two things: low voltage, or friction.
Wishing you all the best with that motor, and do snap us some pictures! - :up
Thanks for suggestions, but keep in mind, I just replaced STAB 120 (it was still working OK, but developed some slack) with DG380. No changes to dish, wireing, switches or receivers. From what I see, it can be a problem with assembly, but there is a 'seal' which I don't want to touch.

I had a different motor SG6000 from a different vendor and had a similar problem. I found that the motor only moved the dish with the 18v TPs and dog out on the 14v TPs. It was a defective board and I got a replacement so all is good now.

You might want to see if different voltage will move the dish.

Yurek99,

Thanks for your help in other matters. I have to state that first and foremost.

Now as for the DG-380 and the dish, you must have simply got one bad one that slipped through the cracks of their QA program. I have at least three of the DG-280/B and three of the DG-380 motors and they move every dish that I own just fine. So there must be something wrong with your motor. I know that it can handle it easily.

Check the anti-backlash adjustment within the motor. It is supposed to be "automatic" but it sounds to me as though something is stuck and the backlash or gear mesh is too tight.

There is probably nothing wrong with your DG-380 motor, but rather a misadjustment (too tight) or something is wedged or lodged internally that is preventing it from self adjusting the gear mesh.

I know that you are very good at troubleshooting, so you can determine what is wrong easily... And I know that you can repair it.

RADAR

Last edited:
I had a different motor SG6000 from a different vendor and had a similar problem. I found that the motor only moved the dish with the 18v TPs and dog out on the 14v TPs. It was a defective board and I got a replacement so all is good now.

You might want to see if different voltage will move the dish.

I've tested on H and V transponders with AZBox and Viewsat MAX .... Unfortunatly, no diferences. Thanks anyway.

UPDATE....
I've talked to representative @ Sadoun and was advise to fill up RMA form which I did.

Attachments

• DSC_2490.JPG
    DSC_2490.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_2491.JPG
    DSC_2491.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_2492.JPG
    DSC_2492.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_2493.JPG
    DSC_2493.JPG
    715.6 KB · Views: 186
Hoped we could see something you might have overlooked.
If so, I don't see it. Maybe others will. Seems good to me. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts