Dial-in Ku Band, or migrate to new Dish Drive unit first? Birdview project continues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I am ready to migrate my 4D's tuner to stationary Birdview with new LNBF, aligned and set up in a different thread here... It has active subs. all W-5. That BV LNB conversion project was done in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/233623-birdview-dmx-241-w-5-conversion.html

So, now that same 4DTV unit, still subbed, is still moving the second Birdview dish for the FTA unit. The original BV LNB has been changed to an LNBF unit (the 621) Signal and picture both good and verified on C-band, both 4D and FTA.

Ku on the movable BV has not been tweaked or even "hooked up" yet to the FTA, and not tested (if that's even possible anymore) on C-band 4D receiver. Not sure if I should "tune in" the KU band before changing the FTA over to the GBOX positioner, or...is it time to remove 4D's positioner from the FTA system and start programming the FTA's birds with the gbox. This would effectively give me two separate satellite systems up and running. 4D on stationary dish, and FTA with movable dish.

Anyone have thoughts on the easiest way NOT to lose relative satellite positions when changing the device that positions the FTA dish? Up to this point I have had the luxury of two identical dishes, both working well on C-band for 4D and FTA, but once we change positioners, there's no looking back.

I'd like to gain the luxury of the FTA receiver (Pansat 3500 SD) actually moving the Birdview....right now I have the luxury of one less "box" in the RV-home.

Thoughts from the veterans of FTA welcomed!

Attachments

• DSC06780.JPG
    DSC06780.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 160
I've never heard of any issues with BV motors pulling any more (current) than the actuator arms. Is there something I should be looking into? BV is driven by any IRD I've ever had, but I certainly appreciate the heads-up!

I've never heard of any issues with BV motors pulling any more (current) than the actuator arms
Same here. Converted many(~20) to a pulse BITD. Never had a problem. The Gbox has the same motor current/voltage specs as the IRD's of the 80's and 90's( some IRD's specs could be exceeded substantially before there was an apparent problem.)

I have never had an issue moving my Birdview with the Gbox. I have had issues running the coax through the Gbox and then to the lnbf. It just goes where it wants to. I solved that by bypassing the Gbox and going directly from the receiver to the 621. The Gbox is wired to the BV motor only. So I use 2 remotes.

I don't use the presets in the Gbox. I set my own. I use the last 2 digits of longitude to mark the presets - 58, 72, 87, 91, 95, 03, 07, 11, 21, 31, 33 etc. Helps me to keep in mind where I am aiming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)