Diamond 9000HD Can't receive CW on G17 (was G11), and screws up NBC HD aspect ratio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
This is a very similar issue to the one in the thread Coolsat 5000 Can't receive CW on G11 but the fix proposed there doesn't work because you cannot edit the frequency or symbol rate of an existing channel, only the name and the PIDS (why, oh why would they not allow you to edit the frequency or symbol rate?!?). There is a way to do a manual scan and even to enter PIDS manually, but (as with the Coolsat) it seems that a manual scan just won't pick up those channels. If I could export my existing channel list via the USB port (what idiot never considered that anyone might want to do that?!?) I could try editing them in manually via the channel editor but I don't really want to lose all the other channels I've scanned and entered.

Thanks to stogie5150's help I am now able to receive the NBC HD feeds, but the aspect ratio isn't right - it's compressing a widescreen picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio (so everyone looks very thin) and no combination of button presses seems to have any effect. I'm feeding the signal into a standard definition (analog) TV using the video and audio outputs, but the other HD signals I've found are properly letterboxed with dark bands top and bottom (as are terrestrial HDTV signals). The NBC feeds are the only ones that exhibit the strange property of filling the screen both vertically AND horizontally, but compressing the picture horizontally. The desire to get the NBC feeds was one of the main reasons I wanted one of these so I hope someone can tell me how to fix this issue (buying a HDTV set isn't an option right now, and I'm not sure that would fix the problem anyway... I suspect it would show a 4x3 compressed picture with black vertical sidebars on a widescreen HDTV set!).

At least the PVR seems to work, however it seems a bit limited in functionality... I tried to play something I recorded last night and when I tried to skip a part of the previous show (which ran over a bit) the sound did this strange skipping where it dropped out for about half a second every few seconds (as if the sound was playing a bit faster than the video, then it had to stop and let the video catch up). When I stopped playback and started from the beginning then it played fine. I have to experiment with this some more but there is only so much one can do in one evening and I was up WAAAAY too late messing with this thing as it was.

Oh, and it DOES seem to convert AC3 audio internally and send it out the stereo audio outputs, so that's a plus also. If I could resolve the issues with the CW and the NBC-HD feeds I'd be very happy. If I could find some way to export the channel list from the receiver to the USB stick, I'd be ecstatic!

you cannot edit the frequency or symbol rate of an existing channel, only the name and the PIDS (why, oh why would they not allow you to edit the frequency or symbol rate?!?).

That is a crock, isn't it? Aside from no blind scan, that is the main thing I don't like about the Quali TV. No kind of edit what so ever, no FR, SR, PIDs or channel name. When I was thinking about the TRAXIS 3500, channel edit and blind scan were the first things I ask about.

This is a very similar issue to the one in the thread Coolsat 5000 Can't receive CW on G11 but the fix proposed there doesn't work because you cannot edit the frequency or symbol rate of an existing channel, only the name and the PIDS (why, oh why would they not allow you to edit the frequency or symbol rate?!?).

You most certainly CAN edit them. All you have to to is, in the scan screen, highlight the parameter you want to change ( frequency,SR) and THEN press any number on the remote and a small EDIT/ADD box will pop up. Select EDIT, and edit your parameter however you want, then press OK and you are DONE!:)

Hey Keith, anyway to do something like with the Quali TV? :)

I wish Jim

Problem is when you change the TP on the Q it keeps the old channel logged. On the Coolsat 5000 if you change the TP info in a manual scan the channels stay in there but change frequencies

so for us to log CW in what most of us do is log in EWTN channels
Then go in and edit the pids to CW
Then change the transponder info for CW but dont scan the TP. Just save it

Thats how we get CW on the Coolsats since they dont do manual pid entry

Thanks to stogie5150's help I am now able to receive the NBC HD feeds, but the aspect ratio isn't right - it's compressing a widescreen picture into a 4x3 aspect ratio (so everyone looks very thin) and no combination of button presses seems to have any effect. I'm feeding the signal into a standard definition (analog) TV using the video and audio outputs, but the other HD signals I've found are properly letterboxed with dark bands top and bottom (as are terrestrial HDTV signals). The NBC feeds are the only ones that exhibit the strange property of filling the screen both vertically AND horizontally, but compressing the picture horizontally. The desire to get the NBC feeds was one of the main reasons I wanted one of these so I hope someone can tell me how to fix this issue (buying a HDTV set isn't an option right now, and I'm not sure that would fix the problem anyway... I suspect it would show a 4x3 compressed picture with black vertical sidebars on a widescreen HDTV set!).

anik, I locked and viewed those NBC HD feeds for the first time earlier this week and my picture was exactly as you described, and same as you mentioned these are the only channels I have ever seen that look like that.

I am also using an analog CRT set, only watched them for a few minutes but I'll play with them some more, next time I get a chance.

so for us to log CW in what most of us do is log in EWTN channels Then go in and edit the pids to CW
Then change the transponder info for CW but dont scan the TP. Just save it
Thats how we get CW on the Coolsats since they dont do manual pid entry

That's what I had to with the Satworks and now the Traxis.

You most certainly CAN edit them. All you have to to is, in the scan screen, highlight the parameter you want to change ( frequency,SR) and THEN press any number on the remote and a small EDIT/ADD box will pop up. Select EDIT, and edit your parameter however you want, then press OK and you are DONE!:)

Well, talk about being easy but not the slightest bit obvious... I don't know if I would have ever thought to try that! Know any other non-obvious controls like that?

Anyway, here is what *I* did... it's a small variation on the previously mentioned technique. Not sure why I did it this way since the other way would probably have worked just as well, but anyway...

I had previously entered the 3720 frequency and 26.700 SR, so I did Menu|Installation|Channel Search|0000 (PIN)|, selected 91.0W Galaxy 17 (C) as the satellite, changed the scan mode to Manual, made sure it was on 3720 and then changed the symbol rate to 26.667. Bear in mind that my C-band dish position is controlled by my old analog receiver, so I physically moved the dish to point at Galaxy 14 (125.0W) and then hit the red button on the Diamond remote to scan. It scanned in a bunch of TBN channels on 3720. I then physically moved the dish back to Galaxy 17, changed the symbol rate back to 26.700, and exited out of that screen.

I then went to Channel Manager|Delete Channels|0000 (PIN) and moved the bar until I was over the first non-HD, non-AC3 channel. I hit the green button to edit, changed the name and PIDS for the first CW feed (CW East|101|102|101), and exited out of the Edit Channels box. Moved the bar to the next standard definition feed and repeated the process twice, to enter the other two CW feeds. Then I moved the bar over all the other channels that had just been added from that TBN mux (other than the three I had changed), hit OK to mark them for deletion, and exited that screen.

I'm sure the other way would have worked just as well, it just made a bit more sense to me to do it that way for some reason.

So, one problem resolved - now if only we could figure out how to get the NBC feeds to display properly....

I did find one other issue though. The clock on this unit seems to be unreliable. If you set it to use GMT with a local offset, it seems to get its time reference from different places... I wish you could pick one channel and say to use that channel only for a time reference - anyway, last night the time was accurate, today it was three hours behind and I have no idea why. I have now tried switching it to not use GMT (which I suspect really means to not use an external reference) but IIRC I had it that way to begin with and it wasn't keeping time accurately. So we'll see. On the Pansat, an inaccurate clock was merely an inconvenience, but on a unit with a PVR it makes it pretty difficult to schecule a recording. Still experimenting with that, though.

Thanks again, stogie5150 and everyone else who commented.

anik, I locked and viewed those NBC HD feeds for the first time earlier this week and my picture was exactly as you described, and same as you mentioned these are the only channels I have ever seen that look like that.

I am also using an analog CRT set, only watched them for a few minutes but I'll play with them some more, next time I get a chance.

Well, at least now I know I'm not the only one seeing them like that! I wonder if any other receivers have the same issue with those feeds?

Well, at least now I know I'm not the only one seeing them like that! I wonder if any other receivers have the same issue with those feeds?

Don't feel bad fellas, I have TWO Diamonds and I cannot even TUNE the NBC mux for some reason, and, given my recent RTN S2 problems, I am sacred to death to mess with the channel list lest I use THOSE...:)

My guess it is the fact that y'all are using a 4X3 TV, with widescreen feeds, with a receiver that just might not be the best in the world at scaling ( gee, ya think? It cant do much of ANYTHING GREAT, but its the best we have, and that should tell ya something).

If I can ever get one of mine to scan them again, I have one of the Diamonds on a 4X3 CRT TV, and I'll let y'all know how they display.

Status
Please reply by conversation.